Lame fouls

bko32

Registered
Reaction score
why all the worrying about the Hack-a Shaq strategy?? He makes them when they count, right?...because all the ones in the first and 2nd qtr don't count, just the ones down the stretch..:confused:

Trophytown

Registered
Reaction score
Actually Pop isnt employing Hack-a-Shaq just cuz he knows Shaq struggles at the line. He's doing it cuz he knows D'Antoni will overreact and remove Shaq from the game himself, which then reduces this Suns team to last years caliber minus Marion. Advantage Spurs. Pop is an intelligent coach who knows what the hell he's doing. Mike, on the other hand................

If anything this Hack-a-Shaq benefits O'Neal because the multiple attempts at the line establish a much needed rythmn for O'Neal.

Its not cheating. Its strategy folks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually Pop isnt employing Hack-a-Shaq just cuz he knows Shaq struggles at the line. He's doing it cuz he knows D'Antoni will overreact and remove Shaq from the game himself, which then reduces this Suns team to last years caliber minus Marion. Advantage Spurs. Pop is an intelligent coach who knows what the hell he's doing. Mike, on the other hand................

If anything this Hack-a-Shaq benefits O'Neal because the multiple attempts at the line establish a much needed rythmn for O'Neal.

Its not cheating. Its strategy folks.

agreed.

Stargazer

Registered
Reaction score
This thread is insane. Of course its legitimate to intentionally foul Shaq or anyone else if you think it will help you win. And I say this as a Suns fan. Just like it's legitimate to intentionally foul at the end of the game to try to stretch the game out.

If Shaq doesn't like it, then he should learn to hit a free throw. And if he can't learn to hit a free throw, that isn't "unfair" -- it means that Shaq isn't quite as good of a player as he otherwise would be, because he has this vulnerability in his game.

So it's legitimate. As for whether it's wise, I think ordinarily would not be. I actually think that the fouls on Shaq helped spark the Suns run in Game 2 -- it was the only offense they had going for a while. But what makes it work for the Spurs is that D'Antoni overreacts by yanking Shaq.

All that said, I admit that there's almost nothing worse for a fan who has loved the fluidity and grace of the Suns offense over the last few years to see it brought low by the inability of a player to make a simple free throw. I used to despise Shaq and his teams for this -- now we're stuck with it.

Phade

Registered
Reaction score
i wonder what stern would do if a team did this the entire game?

OP
OP
redheat

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
Its not about whether it is legal or not. I just think you should play the game for what it is and not resort to cheap methods that lower the integrity of the game.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Its not about whether it is legal or not. I just think you should play the game for what it is and not resort to cheap methods that lower the integrity of the game.

You mean like getting paid 20 mil a year and shooting 50% from the free throw line? I could do better blindfolded. Literally.:bang:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm a Suns fan (for the past 38 years), but I'm also a realist.

This post makes alot of sense. The Spurs aren't just the more aggressive team with body-slams and kicks-in-the-nuts, but also in the finer points of forcing the Suns to react, rather than having to keep up with the Suns.

Pop has been manipulating D'Antoni while not putting a finger on him.

When Shaq is sent to the bench, it's last year's Suns minus Marion. That's not a winning approach.

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
i wonder what stern would do if a team did this the entire game?

After reading this thread, I fully support Hack-a-Duncan. I'm not sure he's shooting free throws as bad as Shaq right now.

Win at all costs baby.

bko32

Registered
Reaction score
This strategy has worked well so far, even if Shaq did make a few free throws when the Spurs went to it last game. Why? Because if I remember correctly, when the Suns were making their run in the 4th qtr to get back in the game, D'antoni kept Shaq on the bench for a little while longer than he normally would have and didn't bring him back into the game until their were under 2 minutes left. Popovich has planted the seed that he will go to the hack-a-shaq, hoping D'antoni will take Shaq out of the game and, in turn, D'antoni has obliged by sitting Shaq.

With that said, this series is far from over. The Suns will jump out ahead in game 3 and, with the home crowd's help, survive a late comeback and win the game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05