Not open for further replies.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Larry Fitzgerald Sr. of Minneapolis figures his son Larry Jr., a wide receiver and the No. 3 overall pick by Arizona in April's NFL draft, will end up with a better contract than the No. 1 pick, quarterback Eli Manning by San Diego (then traded to the Giants) because, he said, he's a better overall player.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/columnists/charley_walters/9051803.htm?1c

I really dont take this kind of media stuff to heart. This isnt an exact quote from Larry SR. but rather a media interpretation of what he said.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Larry Fitzgerald Sr. of Minneapolis figures his son Larry Jr., a wide receiver and the No. 3 overall pick by Arizona in April's NFL draft, will end up with a better contract than the No. 1 pick, quarterback Eli Manning by San Diego (then traded to the Giants) because, he said, he's a better overall player.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/columnists/charley_walters/9051803.htm?1c

DG is pretty close to his dad so I'm not overly concerned with that, but if his agent were the Postons I would take that very seriously.

Reality is if that's really his intention in the contract there's going to be a protracted holdout, and nothing we've seen of Fitz so far suggests that he's that type of kid so I'm not concerned about him. It's Dansby that scares me because of the Postons.

Bobcat

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
DG is pretty close to his dad so I'm not overly concerned with that, but if his agent were the Postons I would take that very seriously.

Reality is if that's really his intention in the contract there's going to be a protracted holdout, and nothing we've seen of Fitz so far suggests that he's that type of kid so I'm not concerned about him. It's Dansby that scares me because of the Postons.

I agree with ya. The Poston brothers have hurt more players than they have ever helped. Now that is to bad for football the the players that the Postons do represent.

Allan :wave: :thumbup:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bobcat said:
I agree with ya. The Poston brothers have hurt more players than they have ever helped. Now that is to bad for football the the players that the Postons do represent.

If this were true. Why would any player sign with them?

Bobcat

Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
If this were true. Why would any player sign with them?

Because they are young, imature, and basically being told if they go with me (the Poston Brothers)I will get you the most money...!!! If you had a chance to watch NFL network last week the drafted rookies were at a camp in San Diego,CA. for not just being introduced to the NFL, but the pitfalls of managing their money, and money grubbing friends and relatives. I really think that a player's like K. Winslow, and our young LB Dansby lost draft positions due to the fact that they had the Poston Brothers as their agents.

The only person that the Poston Brothers care about is the Poston Brothers themselves. They don't care if what they get for their players will hurt or help the team that drafted them. It is all about how much money they will get.

A good example of this was when Lee Steinberg got Jake Plummer that hug contract from the Cards. It wasn't Jakes fault, but the Cards didn't have any money left for Larry Centers, Lomas Brown, Jamiar Miller, and the kick returner whos father was a star with the Cards in the 1970's.

I hope that this helps to explain why the Poston Brothers and their likes are bad news for football, and your home team.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Greens relationship with the Fitzgeralds can only help the Cardinals in negotiations.

I think DG will take the line "hey Fitzs, take whats "fair" and help me out by coming into camp ontime".

Fitz wont play too much hardball, because he wants to do everything he can to help green out.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bobcat said:
Because they are young, imature, and basically being told if they go with me (the Poston Brothers)I will get you the most money...!!! If you had a chance to watch NFL network last week the drafted rookies were at a camp in San Diego,CA. for not just being introduced to the NFL, but the pitfalls of managing their money, and money grubbing friends and relatives. I really think that a player's like K. Winslow, and our young LB Dansby lost draft positions due to the fact that they had the Poston Brothers as their agents.

The only person that the Poston Brothers care about is the Poston Brothers themselves. They don't care if what they get for their players will hurt or help the team that drafted them. It is all about how much money they will get.

A good example of this was when Lee Steinberg got Jake Plummer that hug contract from the Cards. It wasn't Jakes fault, but the Cards didn't have any money left for Larry Centers, Lomas Brown, Jamiar Miller, and the kick returner whos father was a star with the Cards in the 1970's.

I hope that this helps to explain why the Poston Brothers and their likes are bad news for football, and your home team.

Not really. You only explained why you don't like the Postons. If they weren't largely successful, even the most immature, etc... College player would not sign with them.

As for Jake and Steinberg. How can you have a problem with a representative who negotiates hard for his client?.

That this or that player can't be signed as a result, is not and nor should it be his concern. If any blame exists; it's with team management.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Postons are successful because they have gotten their players those big bonuses. The NFL teams created the monster. However, the last few months, the Postons have stretched the envelope some. I think they have gone too far, but it's up to the teams to not accept those tactics. If they all cave, again, the Postons will be back with another big group of draftees next year.

Bobcat

Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
Not really. You only explained why you don't like the Postons. If they weren't largely successful, even the most immature, etc... College player would not sign with them.

As for Jake and Steinberg. How can you have a problem with a representative who negotiates hard for his client?.

That this or that player can't be signed as a result, is not and nor should it be his concern. If any blame exists; it's with team management.

Because Steinberg didn't care about what his tactics did to the team, only how much money he made. He helped to ruin Jakes career here. Why do you think that Jake has replaced him as his agent???

Allan :shrug:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
The postons do not have a history of holding out their draft picks, at least not any more or any less when compared to other agents. All of their picks get exactly what is slotted to them according to where they are picked via bonuses and base salary. They even had the #3 pick last year Charlie Rogers in camp in plenty of time, and Mike Doss only 3 days late becuase they didnt like the wording of some of the viodable clauses and had nothing to do with money.

The Postons dont have problems with dealing with their Draft picks, they only have a bad rap with other teams when it comes to high priced FA's.

Plus the new contract negotiator from TB that we now have is on good terms with the postons.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
The Postons are successful because they have gotten their players those big bonuses. The NFL teams created the monster. However, the last few months, the Postons have stretched the envelope some.

This is concerning their high priced FA and has nothing to do with their draft picks.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bobcat said:
Because Steinberg didn't care about what his tactics did to the team, only how much money he made. He helped to ruin Jakes career here. Why do you think that Jake has replaced him as his agent???

Steinberg is not responsible for how teams react or reacted to his so-called "tactics". That's their responsibility. He only has one: To his client. Wouldn't that be what you'd expect - say; from a lawyer representing you?

I don't know why he replaced Steinberg. If you know something beyond "speculation" and "bias"; tell me.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
This is concerning their high priced FA and has nothing to do with their draft picks.

But it is connected. Their high priced free agents started out with them as draftees.

Bobcat

Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
Steinberg is not responsible for how teams react or reacted to his so-called "tactics". That's their responsibility. He only has one: To his client. Wouldn't that be what you'd expect - say; from a lawyer representing you?

I don't know why he replaced Steinberg. If you know something beyond "speculation" and "bias"; tell me.

It is obvious that you are defending the Poston's and other agents like them. well have it your way. I was taught that "A sucker was born every day," and I guess...Well I guess. On Jake I am not speculating or am I bias as you seem to be. I am just stating something I heard on the Pit two years ago. I guess I must have heard it wrong and you must be right. Sorry.

Allan :stupid: :shrug:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bobcat said:
It is obvious that you are defending the Poston's and other agents like them. well have it your way. I was taught that "A sucker was born every day," and I guess...Well I guess. On Jake I am not speculating or am I bias as you seem to be. I am just stating something I heard on the Pit two years ago. I guess I must have heard it wrong and you must be right. Sorry.

Allan :stupid: :shrug:

A "sucker" is someone who hires an agent or lawyer who is not singlemindedly dedicated to his best interests. You seem ripe for that.

You obviously have chosen to ignore that others have also questioned your views on this matter.

"Sarcasm" rather than actually dealing with the premise of your remarks is the last refuge of the :stupid: :wave:

Last edited:

Bobcat

Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
A "sucker" is someone who hires an agent or lawyer who is not singlemindedly dedicated to his best interests. You seem ripe for that.

You obviously have chosen to ignore that others have also questioned your views on this matter.

"Sarcasm" rather than actually dealing with the premise of your remarks is the last refuge of the :stupid: :wave:

Most people on this thread don not disagree with me, only you are the one who singles me out. Why? Are you what your call name states you are. Please stop this kind of tactic. The only thing that i am ripe for is to see you off of this forum for our stupid insults. The oyher posters disagree in a manner that is highly professional, and I respect that. The Poston's are known around the NFL as being very difficult to negotiate with. It will be very interesting to see how they handle KW in Cleveland.

Last edited:

Bobcat

Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:

Here is a site you must see!!! This is the true feeling around the NFL about the Poston's.

http://mb1.theinsiders.com/f49ersfansfrm11.showMessage?topicID=2771.topic

Ok smart guy here is an article that helps to porve my point as you have asked. The next time you want to blast someone; look in the mirror.

Poston Brothers Becoming NFL Laughingstock
By: Bob George/BosSports.net
March 28, 2004
Instead of waiting for Ty Law to shut up and accept things as the way they are, let’s instead watch the marvelous things happening regarding Orlando Pace.

The behemoth left tackle for the Rams, and a former number one draft pick at that, is in the second year of being slapped with the franchise tag by the Rams. He wants a long-term deal and wishes to remain in St. Louis. But what is most intriguing about Pace is his recent remarks about what his agents are demanding versus what he’s comfortable getting as a new deal.

At the epicenter of this whole thing are two agent brothers who are fast becoming persona non grata around the NFL. Carl and Kevin Poston, owners of Professional Sports Planning, Inc., have gained a notorious reputation for being tough and unreasonable negotiators over the years. But their shenanigans over the past two years involving six of their high profile clients may one day drive them out of the player agent business, as NFL clubs may become loath to doing business with these two men at all costs.

How bad is the work of the Postons? Law’s outbursts are only the tip of the iceberg.

Pace, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, is okay with a signing bonus in the $15-17 million range. But Carl Poston, Pace’s agent, demanded that the Rams agree to a ludicrous deal worth $71 million over 7 years, with a $27 million signing bonus and $34 million in guaranteed money. Ram president Jay Zygmunt called this contract proposal “ransom money”.

Pace wants to stay in St. Louis more than he wants the money Poston is demanding. He has come out and stated his comfort level in signing bonus. He has also stated that “there will probably be some changes in the future”, a possible hint that he may fire Poston as his agent.

In this case, we are talking about arguably the best left tackle in the business. Tackles make more money than guards and centers, and Pace is a house who deserves to be paid among the highest left tackles in the NFL. But when someone of Pace’s stature comes out and proclaims less money and team loyalty over a ridiculous contract offer from his agent, it makes the agent look like a total and complete buffoon.

The case of Redskin linebacker LeVar Arrington is positively amazing. Arrington is claiming that he was cheated out of a $6.5 million roster bonus. The Redskins claim that no such roster bonus exists in his contract. The Postons came out and admitted that they hadn’t read that part of Arrington’s contract.

An anonymous NFL “insider” used the word “moron” in describing Arrington. How then would you describe the Postons for making this kind of error? Start with “negligent” and “derelict” and go on from there.

The adjective that person used to describe Arrington helps segue into an interesting analysis of Poston clients which came out recently. The article showed six of the high profile Poston clients currently involved in contract issues along with their Wonderlic test scores. The six players, Pace, Law, Arrington, Charles Woodson (Raiders), Ian Gold (Broncos) and Julian Peterson (49ers), all had an average Wonderlic score of a 15.5, which the Pro Football Weekly article said placed the players “somewhere between ‘mildly autistic donkey’ and ‘pile of cracked bricks’ on the overall intelligence scale.” To top it off, Lion receiver Charles Rogers, the third pick in the 2003 draft, had a Wonderlic score of 10, which the article states “puts him in a position to outwit a handful of moist soil.”

Carl Poston, who operates out of Houston, and Kevin Poston, who hangs his hat in the affluent Detroit suburb of Farmington Hills, validate all this with a “creed” that Kevin wrote, a creed which does not state anything to do with sports. This “PSP Creed”, mentioned in a 2003 Detroit Free Press article, has three points which men should live their lives by; they work, they stand for something, and they are loyal. The creed goes on to state that men “settle differences with words, not fists”, “respect women” and they “cry not because they are babies but because they are warriors…with heart.”

But the situations involving their top clients, especially Pace and Arrington, as well as the revelation over the pattern of low Wonderlic scores amongst these same clients, make this creed a total sham which rings completely hollow. The prototypical Poston client is being portrayed as a greedy and idiotic hothead. The Postons are using these clients to make themselves wealthier than they deserve, under the guise of “proud warriors who aren’t afraid to stand up for what they believe in”.

Pace’s stand on his contract issue will perhaps signal the beginning of the end of the wave of terror that is the Postons. If these duped clients can wake up and smell the coffee and figure out what these agents are really all about, they will join Pace and dump these guys on their ears. And if NFL executives can avoid panic and exercise restraint in capitulating to these outrageous demands these brothers make, the Postons will then attain blackball status from the NFL. This might then dissuade these sorts of clients from signing on with them. It would then help drive away the Postons from the NFL, and eventually out of the sports agent business.

It is the job of the sports agent to act in the best interest of his clients. It naturally follows that the agent wants to broker the best deal possible for his client. But when Pace comes out and states that he will take a lot less money to stay put with the Rams, and then obliquely states that he wants to fire his agent, Pace is stating that his agent did not properly serve himself the client, and the Postons have a ton of egg on their faces. And when Arrington is gypped out of $6.5 million because the Postons didn’t read the whole contract, the Postons put a dunce cap right on top of all those yellow yolks.

Michael Holley of the Globe recently wondered aloud about why Law’s friends don’t step up and try to gag him. Maybe Law’s only real buddy is telling Law to continue to blab and blab lots, because Law will be cut in September just like his buddy was in 2003 and he needs to try to get traded or released before that eventuality takes place. Is Lawyer Milloy advising Law to keep flapping his yap? There’s no reason to think otherwise.

Sparing redundancy, this column did a piece recently on what top players in the league reveal themselves to be sooner or later. They are either rings-oriented or rewards-oriented. The Postons continue to try and extort obscene amounts of money for their clients, all the while ignoring that these obscene contracts make their clients rich but severely cripple their team in trying to acquire other talented players who will help that team vie for a Super Bowl championship. The Postons don’t want players in their stable who are committed to winning. They want players in their stable who are committed to making the Postons obscenely rich, and are possibly too stupid to understand that the big money they are demanding is detrimental to the team as a whole.

The NFL looks like it is finally wising up to these two brothers and may begin shunning their clients unilaterally. While the complete eradication of these brothers is perhaps still a dream and, if it happens, would be a few years off in the distance, the statements by Pace and the dereliction of Arrington’s contract are at least opening salvos in the eventual destruction of the Poston empire. To further illustrate this sort of thing, there is the chance that the Patriots might not pursue trading up for Oregon State running back Steven Jackson if he had retained the Postons as his agents (late word says that Jackson has rejected the Postons). If other teams follow suit, the Postons might actually have to stand up and take notice.

This piece was not meant as a plug for the Patriots and their way of doing things. It is simply about the advancement of good agents who will really do well by their clients, and for the cleansing of those agents who stand for the opposite. It might not put Law in his place, but in the long run it might mean that we never see the next Law again.

Also play the site below to see how the NFL really feels about your "BOYZ" the Postons

http://footballguys.com/04bang_negotiation.htm

Allan

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Cant we all just stop the arguing for one day and all come together on this great day we call 4th of July. ;)

Screw the sappy stuff, keep going at it. :thumbup:

I myself think the Postons are idiots and agree with most of what you are saying Bobcat but, they still get their draft picks in on time just as much or not as much as any of the other agents(as I have already laid out in past posts). We wont have a problem with Dansby this year but just wait 4 or 5 years when his contract ends, then "whoa watch out, watch the feathers fly, and watch myself included spew the hatred and want to tar and feather the Postons for asking for a 50 mill signing bonus for Dansby". :D

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bobcat said:
Most people on this thread don not disagree with me, only you are the one who singles me out. Why? Are you what your call name states you are. Please stop this kind of tactic. The only thing that i am ripe for is to see you off of this forum for our stupid insults. The oyher posters disagree in a manner that is highly professional, and I respect that. The Poston's are known around the NFL as being very difficult to negotiate with. It will be very interesting to see how they handle KW in Cleveland.

Take a pill will ya!

Your responses have been replete with insults, when my only point was that the reason why players will hire the Postons, or any other agent - is to get the best possible deal, and that their only true responsibility is to their client: NOT the TEAM and NOT the LEAGUE. They are big enough to handle their own interests. These are the simple facts of negotiation and representation.

The Postons: Mr. Bobcat we'd like to represent you. But first let me tell you a bit about us: We negotiate hard, demand a lot for our clients, and although we may have to backdown a bit during negotiations, we will get you fair market value for your services.

Bobcat: Well, that's nice... but you've got to understand where I'm coming from. I think it's a privilege to play in the league and as anyone will tell you... for the Bobcat there's no "I" in team.

The Postons: We can appreciate that Bobcat, and the team will too. Negotiations for a contract and your dedication to the game are two different things, and both sides of the table understand it.

Bobcat: Look... I don't want to create any waves, so I'll take whatever offer they make. It's more than I'll make flipping burgers, right?

The Postons: Of course. But are you saying that you don't want us to get the best possible deal for you?.

Bobcat: My main concern is the team and fitting in. So, I'm sure whatever they offer will be fair.

The Postons: Of course you understand that if that's your approach you don't really need us or any other agent. Just go in and sign whatever the put in front of you.

Bobcat: Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do that, By the way did I mention that there is no "I" in team, it's a privilege to play in this league, and I trust management to look out for their interests and mine.

(and from on high PT Barnum smiles and says: Yup! there's one born everyday!) :wave: :D

Last edited:

Bobcat

Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
Take a pill will ya!

Your responses have been replete with insults, when my only point was that the reason why players will hire the Postons, or any other agent - is to get the best possible deal, and that there only true responsibility is to their client: NOT the TEAM and NOT the LEAGUE. They are big enough to handle their own interests. These are the simple facts of negotiation and representation.

The Postons: Mr. Bobcat we'd like to represent you. But first let me tell you a bit about us: We negotiate hard, demand a lot for our clients, and although we may have to backdown a bit during negotiations, we will get you fair market value for your services.

Bobcat: Well, that's nice... but you've got to undertand where I'm coming from. I think it's a prvilege to play in the league and as anyone will tell you... for the Bobcat there's no "I" in team.

The Postons: We can appreciate that Bobcat, and the team will too. Negotiations for a contract and your dedication to the game are two different things, and both sides of the table understand it.

Bobcat: Look I don't want to create any waves, so I'll take whatever offer they make. It's more than I'll make flipping burgers, right?

The Postons: Of course. But are you saying that you don't want us to get the best possible deal for you?.

Bobcat: My main concern is the team and fitting in. So, I'm sure whatever they offer will be fair.

The Postons: Of course you understand that if that's your approach you don't really need us or any other agent. Just go in and sign whatever the put in front of you.

Bobcat: Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do that, By the way did I mention that there is no "I" in team, it's a privilege to play in this league, and I trust management to look out for their interests and mine.

(and from on high PT Barnum smiles and says: Yup! there's one born everyday!) :wave: :D

Who gives you the right to speak for me...??? You must have been hit by punk or two it seems. And I am sorry that you think that I am so insulting to you. Just read what you have said about me, Now that is INSULTING.

Sorry if I have offended you, but really it seems that it is either your way or the highway. You are right and we are wrong. Now that is meant to be INSULTING.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bobcat said:
Who gives you the right to speak for me...??? You must have been hit by punk or two it seems. And I am sorry that you think that I am so insulting to you. Just read what you have said about me, Now that is INSULTING.

Sorry if I have offended you, but really it seems that it is either your way or the highway. You are right and we are wrong. Now that is meant to be INSULTING.

"You are right and we are wrong..." That must the royal "we" Bobcat... because not everyone agrees with everything you've said; read the posts.

You may want to edit the following in your reply. As an insult it fails the test of making any grammatical sense.

"...must have been hit by punk or two it seems."

As for my insulting you... well, just like you... I'm really, really, really Soreeeee! :biglaugh:

Bobcat

Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
"You are right and we are wrong..." That must the royal "we" Bobcat... because not everyone agrees with everything you've said; read the posts.

You may want to edit the following in your reply. As an insult it fails the test of making any grammatical sense.

"...must have been hit by punk or two it seems."

As for my insulting you... well, just like you... I'm really, really, really Soreeeee! :biglaugh:

You are so right I meant "PUCK or TWO."

God you are such a jerk. I have proved you wrong in posting that article and you still are carring on. I am through answering you back after this post get a life!!! It is obvious that you have none.

Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.