Latest speculation: Amare going to Atlanta in 3-way trade for KG

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Any deal involving the Hawks is going to be hard to pull off because of the messed up ownership situation they have right now. If this were an Anthony Johnson for 2nd pick deal, then fine, but a deal like this where there are huge names, picks, and contracts being shipped around, there is no way this gets done in this limited time frame.

Any deal that brings in Garnett while losing Amare taints the deal, and the Suns automatically lose on the deal as well.

It doesn't make any sense for the Suns to move Amare. I'd rather see him and Shawn next season than KG and Shawn.

BOOOOOO Steve Kerr if this is something you're really considering.

cly2tw

Reaction score
1.) there is A LOT more value being traded around that just players. Atlanta is also eating up ALL their cap space and accomidating people in this trade. using them to eat $10mil in contracts helps the other teams involved.

2.) the #11 pick and the 08 pick have nowhere near the same value. Amare/Smith/Marvin/Johnson is enough to get the Hawks in the playoffs next season. the COULD arguably be the 6-7th seed on the east. taking that into consideration is the #11 is this deep draft the same as the #15-16 in next years draft?

3.) Childress is no scrub. he put up some nice numbers last season, and plays smart. he's only 24 and put up 13/6/3 thoughout most of the end of last season.

---------

i'm not saying its a GREAT trade. but what else do you suggest in a Minny/Atlanta/Phoenix trade?

You got the causalities upside down here.

First, independent of KG, what would Atlanta be willing to pay for Amare? I will give you 20% off and still say 4 lottery picks or equivalents while "eating" Amare's cheap salary cap happily. Amare for Hawks is something money can't buy. So, #3, #11, Josh Smith and a future lottery pick would they offer at least.

In addition, since this trade would greatly decimate our right to their 08 pick, they need to compensate that loss in addition, say at least take Banks contract off our hand.

In your proposal, you seemed to say, since we were so keen on dumping Amare on you, we'd return your favor of taking him by returning your own 08 pick. Just ridiculous.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Especially since Amare was our first round pick last year. They wouldn't want to admit they screwed up that draft as well, would they? ;)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm against any Stoudemire trade unless the Suns can get back Jared Jeffries.

asudevil83

Reaction score
You got the causalities upside down here.

First, independent of KG, what would Atlanta be willing to pay for Amare? I will give you 20% off and still say 4 lottery picks or equivalents while "eating" Amare's cheap salary cap happily. Amare for Hawks is something money can't buy. So, #3, #11, Josh Smith and a future lottery pick would they offer at least.

In addition, since this trade would greatly decimate our right to their 08 pick, they need to compensate that loss in addition, say at least take Banks contract off our hand.

In your proposal, you seemed to say, since we were so keen on dumping Amare on you, we'd return your favor of taking him by returning your own 08 pick. Just ridiculous.

is that a REALISTIC proposal? valuewise....sure whatever. but in terms of what a rebuilding team has to give up to make this deal happen, no its not something the hawks would even consider.

besides.....the Hawks are there to make the deal between the suns and wolves work. the really dont have anything to gain or lose. i see them as a middle man. they could walk out on the deal at any time, and be perfectly fine.

the meat and potatoes of this deal are as follows:

KG gets traded because the wolves HAVE to
the suns get KG because the WANT to

any teams that help make this happen arent there for any other reason than to assist the above. all the hawks have to say is "yeah right....find someone else to help facilitate this trade: click". they have the most leverage because without them, the deal falls apart.

so them giving up 4 lotto picks and a young stud is just nonsense in their eyes. the suns are in no position to DEMAND from the Hawks.

Last edited:

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score
so them giving up 4 lotto picks and a young stud is just nonsense in their eyes.

You make it sound like they're just getting a scrub in return... When was the last time Atlanta had a 1st Team All NBA Player?

HooverDam

Reaction score
So lets talk about how we are going to burn down USAC if the Suns move Amare. The problem is, its that solid grey brick, its going to be hard to just torch. I think explosives are the better option, perhaps a truck full of manure?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said it before and I will say it again. Not only did I not want to trade Amare for KG in the first place but...if the Suns still trade Amare and the MT are not demanding Amare in return any longer...then the Suns are stupid.

STATfan4Life

Veteran
Reaction score
I can't believe what I am hearing even though I keep hearing it over and over again on ESPN. Trade Amare? I don't even want to think about that and neither should the suns organization. I really hope this is all a big smoke screen for what they are really going to do. It is a smoke screen isn't it?

All this trade talk is driving me crazy. I can't wait until we find out what the real deal is tomorrow.

mribnik

Reaction score
I can't believe what I am hearing even though I keep hearing it over and over again on ESPN. Trade Amare? I don't even want to think about that and neither should the suns organization. I really hope this is all a big smoke screen for what they are really going to do. It is a smoke screen isn't it?

All this trade talk is driving me crazy. I can't wait until we find out what the real deal is tomorrow.

I don't think it's even a smokescreen. It's just made up BS from ESPN.

Sundance

Registered
Reaction score
So lets talk about how we are going to burn down USAC if the Suns move Amare. The problem is, its that solid grey brick, its going to be hard to just torch. I think explosives are the better option, perhaps a truck full of manure?

Agents of Homeland Security will be visiting your parent's basement in 3... 2... 1...

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I think it's time to calm down. This deal is NOT going to happen.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
well atleast their is only one more day of all these trade rumors then we will know for sure what happens :)

mribnik

Reaction score
And for what it's worth, I believe ESPN News and ESPN radio are still reporting the Jim Grey stuff. I won't believe any of it until it's done.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
As much as everyone doesn't want to hear it, there probably is some fire to these Amare rumors. That's not to say any of them are going to happen, but you can be sure that the Suns have discussed Amare Stoudemire to several teams. The conversation might not have gone very far, but they've definitely had discussions about trading him. To think otherwise is naive. I don't agree with trading him, but I'm realistic.

Amare has definitely been discussed as part of trades.

asudevil83

Reaction score
You make it sound like they're just getting a scrub in return... When was the last time Atlanta had a 1st Team All NBA Player?

i'm not

my point is that a REBUILDING team should not be looking at giving up 4 young prospects for a guy who is barely going to make them a playoff team. its not smart.

its too much to ask from a REBUILDING team.

i also want to point out that this original rumor revolves around Amare/#3/#11/KG. that's the meat and potatoes.

Smith going from Atlanta to Phoenix is a BIG BIG deal. and not including him in the original article would lead me to think that he's not even being discussed. and lastly....the SOONEST we would be getting ANOTHER lotto pick from atlanta is the 09 draft. and thinking that they'll STILL be crappy isnt all that realistic.....especially if they have Amare

Last edited:

mribnik

Reaction score
As much as everyone doesn't want to hear it, there probably is some fire to these Amare rumors. That's not to say any of them are going to happen, but you can be sure that the Suns have discussed Amare Stoudemire to several teams. The conversation might not have gone very far, but they've definitely had discussions about trading him. To think otherwise is naive. I don't agree with trading him, but I'm realistic.

Amare has definitely been discussed as part of trades.

I'm sure that's been the case, just as the Suns have always said they will always listen to offers. I just don't think they've seriously considered any deal involving trading Amare.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm sure that's been the case, just as the Suns have always said they will always listen to offers. I just don't think they've seriously considered any deal involving trading Amare.

I think the Suns HAVE considered deals regarding Amare, but my guess is that none of them came close to being very satisfying.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't worry just yet. ESPN must change trade rumors every 15 minutes... and they contradict each other. Still Horford at #3 and a PG at #11 is not chopped liver. However, I agree with mribnik. I think ESPN is just making this stuff up as they go along like hypothetical trades on this board.

I too will be relieved when the draft is over and these trade rumors go away.

cly2tw

Reaction score
is that a REALISTIC proposal? valuewise....sure whatever. but in terms of what a rebuilding team has to give up to make this deal happen, no its not something the hawks would even consider.

besides.....the Hawks are there to make the deal between the suns and wolves work. the really dont have anything to gain or lose. i see them as a middle man. they could walk out on the deal at any time, and be perfectly fine.

the meat and potatoes of this deal are as follows:

KG gets traded because the wolves HAVE to
the suns get KG because the WANT to

any teams that help make this happen arent there for any other reason than to assist the above. all the hawks have to say is "yeah right....find someone else to help facilitate this trade: click". they have the most leverage because without them, the deal falls apart.

so them giving up 4 lotto picks and a young stud is just nonsense in their eyes. the suns are in no position to DEMAND from the Hawks.

I really don't know what's your concept of building a successful NBA team. Let me see, how many lottery picks have the Clipps had over the last 20 years? How many have the Hawks got over the same span? What did they achieve with so much asset they have accumulated?

I would give them all in a trade to get a sure thing of Amare's caliber. And you say they'd rather prefer 5 of those 20 lottery picks over Amare? Well, we really have different philosophy regarding value in the NBA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would give them all in a trade to get a sure thing of Amare's caliber. And you say they'd rather prefer 5 of those 20 lottery picks over Amare? Well, we really have different philosophy regarding value in the NBA.

It's the night before Christmas and everybody wants new toys. From now on I'm not going to take any of this rumor stuff seriously... unless it is announced. I think just about every NBA team has put out misinformation and the fans and media don't know what to think of it. The media is rummaging through the trash cans like we are.

I think we should all be cool like I am.

:pullhair:

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here's the latest from my favorite Chad Ford:

• In case you missed it last night, here's the latest report about the Kevin Garnett situation. To sum it up, the Suns look to be the team most likely to land KG. The Wolves are conjuring up multiple trade options, but the Suns seem to be the team in most of them.

Minnesota would prefer to do the KG deal with Atlanta and Phoenix, which would send the Hawks' No. 3 and No. 11 picks to the Wolves, with Amare Stoudemire going to Atlanta.

But the Suns would prefer to move Shawn Marion to a team like the Celtics, and Jim Gray reported Tuesday night that talks have been rekindled. However, sources say that such a deal is unlikely. Marion doesn't want to play in Boston without a huge contract extension (something Boston will likely balk at) and Minnesota still wants Al Jefferson in that deal.

Let's hope he is full of it.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was curious... when was the last time a 1st team all NBA player got traded the same year....

2003-04- Shaq to Miami- We all know the Drama and REASONS behind that trade

2000-01- Jason Kidd- We all know how well THAT trade worked out for us...

Beyond that... You have to go back 34 years, to find the next player that made an all NBA 1st team that was traded, in Kareem Abdul-Jabar from Milwakee to Los Angeles... Howd that work out for you bucks?

Point is it NEVER works out for the team trading the player.... especially when your trading a YOUNG star for and old one....

Argh.... Why does Marion have to whine soo much.. (and if he accepts the trade and extention, I take all the bad things I have said about him back...:D )

Last edited: