LB, Barbs, HAWK, to be named 6th Man today...

Furio

Rookie
Reaction score
Congrats to Barbosa, I'm so happy for the success and the recognition he's getting. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy...

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/10143177

3. The "might" in the phrase "Leandro Barbosa might be the fastest basketball player in the league" should never be uttered again. I know there are a lot of human cheetahs out there, from Tony Parker to T.J. Ford, but no one moves like Barbosa. He makes even the fastest players look slow, and has learned to pick his spots better. The more comfortable he grows with his game and the Suns' system, the more dangerous he'll be. Sources tell me Barbosa is expected to be named the league's top sixth man on Monday afternoon -- I voted for him -- but his best days remain in front of him.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it isnt unanimous, voting rights should be taken away.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great for Barbosa.

He has become such an important part of this team. He is able to turn up the speed when we are getting bogged down.

"Doug" of Doug and Wolf this morning was saying that he was court level and could watch LA defenders eyes as Barbs shot down the court on those breakaways. He said he hasn't seen fear in players eyes like that.

Speed is the future of the NBA and we must remember to consider speed over size when we draft.

TheKid_1

Registered
Reaction score
Thats by boy! The hawk <O>. For the people a little slow it comes from him having a mohawk (even thought it was just for a day) and how he flys around the court!

You must be registered for see images

ndjmc

Do or Do not.
Reaction score
What a great guy, He could stockpile these things if he wanted too.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Suns now have to deal with a Ceremony Game, which are almost always losses for the team or player being celebrated. Other than that, it's great news.

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
NBA.com:

Phoenix’s Barbosa Wins 2006-07 NBA Sixth Man Award
Posted Apr 23 2007 2:09PM
Print E-mail RSS Feeds E-News Sign Up Share on Facebook
Barry Gossage/NBAE/Getty Images
Barbosa averaged 18.1 points, 4.0 assists and 2.7 rebounds.
E-mail photo|Buy photos
NEW YORK, April 23, 2007 – Leandro Barbosa of the Phoenix Suns has been named the winner of the 2006-07 NBA Sixth Man Award, honoring the league’s top player in a reserve role, the NBA announced today.

Barbosa received 578 out of a possible 635 points, including 101 of a possible 127 first-place votes, from a panel of 127 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada. Manu Ginobili of the San Antonio Spurs finished second with 269 points and Jerry Stackhouse of the Dallas Mavericks placed third with 210 points. Each player was awarded five points for each first-place vote, three points for each second-place vote and one point for each third-place vote. In order to be eligible for this award, players had to have come off the bench in more games than they started.

The fourth year guard from Brazil becomes the fourth Suns player to win NBA Sixth Man honors, joining Eddie Johnson (1988-89), Danny Manning (1997-9
You must be registered for see images
and Rodney Rogers (1999-00). Since the award’s inception in 1982-83, the Boston Celtics are the only other franchise to have had a winner on even three separate occasions – Kevin McHale (1983-84 and 1984-85) and Bill Walton (1985-86).

A reserve in 62 of 80 games played this season, Barbosa averaged 18.1 points, 4.0 assists and 2.7 rebounds. He posted career highs in scoring, assists, steals (1.20), three-point field goals made (190) and minutes played (32.7). Barbosa scored 20 or more points in 33 games this season, surpassing his total from his first three seasons combined (13).

Barbosa set new individual game career highs in points (32. vs. Charlotte on March 7 and again vs. Houston on March 12), rebounds (10 vs. Philadelphia, Nov. 17), assists (12 vs. Memphis, Nov. 11) and three point field goals (seven vs. Charlotte, March 7). He also notched three consecutive double-doubles (Nov. 11 vs. Memphis, Nov. 17 vs. Philadelphia and Nov. 18 at Utah) after not notching a single one in his first 196 career games.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
:bday:
:koolaid:

*edit:
Stackhouse game 1 = PLBBFFFFTT :barf:
Flopinobili game 1 = PLBBFFFFTT :barf:

Barbosa game 1 = :notworthy

Ballamania

Registered
Reaction score
Lb! Lb! Lb!lb! That Guy Is A Game Changer And One Of The Most Humble Players I've Seen In A Minute. Couldnt Have Happened To A Better Man And He Deserves It.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
At the end he states how much of great player is in Steve Nash, and how he is truly a special player. He sees one game against the lakers and he knows that?

Thats bs. He's been playing like that the whole time with the suns, and he knows it.

He just let the dirk hype bandwagon cloud his vision.

Unfortunately instead of MV3, it'll probably be Dirk. (A good player whose year as I think simmons pointed out would have been like the 7th best year for Malone, Barkley, etc stat wise)

As for barbosa, oh yeah. I never had a doubt about him, and I was very relieved when we re-signed him.

I kept telling people how fast he drives the lane reminds me of KJ. Barbosa is faster, but so is everyone else in the NBA now. KJ ran circles around 80's-early 90's players like Barbosa is doing against faster players now, which is just unbelievable. After the lakers game yesterday, don't you think he reminded you a little like KJ (ofc his own flavor too) but, still reminded me of KJ.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Congrats!!!!!!, I think I am the only one who calls him Baby Ursh, tell me if im wrong but he looks just like Usher.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, "Hawk" is already taken by a former Suns hall-of-famer, so i'll stick with "The Blur."

Great thing about Barbosa is that he doesn't care whether he starts or comes off the bench, or how many shots he gets to take. He will do whatever is needed of him. Great team players are hard to find.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When asked about the Brazilian Blur

"That's a really weak nickname," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "Couldn't you call him something better than that? Blur doesn't even designate how fast this guy is. He's even faster than that."

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, "Hawk" is already taken by a former Suns hall-of-famer, so i'll stick with "The Blur."

Great thing about Barbosa is that he doesn't care whether he starts or comes off the bench, or how many shots he gets to take. He will do whatever is needed of him. Great team players are hard to find.
Wise.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05