League fines Horn $30,000 for end zone stunt

Jim O

Reaction score
League fines Horn $30,000 for end zone stunt
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

While he has yet to receive official notification from the league, Saints' WR Joe Horn has been fined $30,000 by the NFL, a league source has told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

The fine stems from the now-infamous post-touchdown celebration stunt in the second quarter of New Orleans' Sunday night game against the Giants. After scoring his second of four touchdowns in the game, Horn grabbed a cell phone from underneath the padding around the bottom of the goal post and pretended to make a call.

The fine was confirmed for ESPN.com by agent Ralph Vitolo and one league source. Horn is expected to be apprised of the fine in writing on Wednesday, the day on which NFL officials typically notify players of any punitive actions.

The fine represents about three-quarters of one game check, based on Horn's base salary of $700,000 for the 2003 season. But the punishment, according to Vitolo, could have been significantly harsher, with the league considering at one point a suspension of one or two games.

"From what Joe was told (by Saints officials), the league wanted to come down harder on him, and there was a potential suspension on the table," Vitolo said. "But even the fine, as far as Joe is concerned, is exorbitant. I just told him that, when he got the paperwork, to send it on to me. We'll appeal and see if we can get the thing reduced. I mean, there was nothing malicious about it, right?"

"Fining him is one thing, but to me that's very excessive. This is not a murder case," Vitolo said.

The celebration, in which Saints wide receiver Michael Lewis pulled the cell phone from underneath the padding surrounding the goal post and handed it to Horn, drew a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct. It also drew criticism from nearly every quarter of the NFL, including some players, and league officials acknowledged on Sunday night that Horn would face a penalty.

Head coach Jim Haslett said the team would not punish Horn, but that he was disappointed in the receiver's "selfish" act.

Lewis is expected to be fined $5,000. The incident was Horn's second "excessive celebration" reprimand of the season. The league warned players last season, after San Francisco wide receiver Terrell Owens pulled a Sharpie from his sock and autographed a football following a touchdown catch, that they would be subject to fines for bringing foreign objects onto the playing field.

There is a likelihood that if Horn violated the guidelines again the sanctions will be increased. League officials almost certainly will apprise the eight-year veteran that the next incident will merit a suspension.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's almost as much as my cell provider charges if I go over the monthly limit! :eek:

Dang - expensive call!

OP
OP
Jim O

Jim O

Reaction score
If You Do This...

You must be registered for see images

The League Will Blow This!

You must be registered for see images

PopToosweet

The Birdman
Reaction score
5 stars

I really think that was tight.......I liked that one, I wonder who is going to top that? I know it's not going to be Quan, he's not a towndown celebration type, but he should do what they did in high school.....The belly flop.....:D

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
These stunts are so ********.....:rolleyes:

You going to hold it against Boldin when he pulls some Ginsu knives out of an end zone pylon and starts "dicing" the defenders? :D

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
You going to hold it against Boldin when he pulls some Ginsu knives out of an end zone pylon and starts "dicing" the defenders? :D

Of course not. Boldin is allowed to do what he wants.

I never said there wasn't a double standard. :cool:

PopToosweet

The Birdman
Reaction score
Naw

Like I said, I he ain't the endzone celebration type, I was just a suggustion........Like the Blue Devils do....Pahokee Blue Devils.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
Of course not. Boldin is allowed to do what he wants.

I never said there wasn't a double standard. :cool:

:biglaugh:

Hilarious. I kept thinking about the outrage and wondering if Boldin did it what the reaction would be.

PopToosweet

The Birdman
Reaction score
Yeap

Originally posted by AZCB34
:biglaugh:

Hilarious. I kept thinking about the outrage and wondering if Boldin did it what the reaction would be.

Nothing.......I know him. Nothing at all....point to the sky and maybe even spike the ball. Maybe.