Leftwich on ESPN

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I just saw the first installment of ESPN's draft preview on the late showing and damn it is messing with me. After seeing the clip of Leftwich being helped back to the line by his fellow players, I wanted to put on a jersey and line up with the guy and take one on the chops. If you like football, this show of leadership and competition has to effect you. I'm pro Suggs but I wouldn't be bent out of shape over Leftwich. I still do not care much for Palmer.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
The old Plummer crowd should be jumping all over this guy for his "intagibles" alone, except he can actually throw the ball.

I'm still torn between him and Suggs, and think we will have the choice of both of them at six. In the short term we absolutely need suggs, but Leftwich could really turn out to be the long term savior this club has never had.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a chance to get a "savior" you gotta take him. Long term thinking guys - long term - Super Bowls, Playoffs year after year - Super Bowls - we can dream . . .

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
If Leftwich is there, take him. Suggs won't make us a contender this year. Leftwich could make us one down the road.

adam

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I saw the same thing, and while I desperately wanted Suggs beforehand... it made me think. I still don't think offense wins Championships, though.

--Solar

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by green machine
If Leftwich is there, take him. Suggs won't make us a contender this year. Leftwich could make us one down the road.

adam

Can you honestly say you could stand another season off watching piss poor QBs just pick apart our D like its a piece of string cheese?

I will be disgusted if I have to sit there and watch a QB have up to 10 seconds to throw a damn ball!

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Can you honestly say you could stand another season off watching piss poor QBs just pick apart our D like its a piece of string cheese?

I will be disgusted if I have to sit there and watch a QB have up to 10 seconds to throw a damn ball!

Sure if we are a contender then next couple years.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What is easier to get, a pass rush or a "franchise" QB?

The answer is a pass rush because it can be had from any number of sources. My arguments for avoiding Suggs are based on my opinion of his very high bust potential and also the standpoint point that pass rushers will be available in round 2 for sure and some have indicated Peek could be had all the way in round 3. While I still want Newman to go with DL picks in rounds 2 and 3, if Newman is gone and Leftwich is sitting there, smart money says take him because Blake won't play for more than a couple years.

A pass rush can be had simply with the same personnel if the DC gets some balls and forces things to happen by way of blitzing (my biggest pet peeve of last year). If you are going to fail then go down swinging and go down being aggressive. They went down being just about as passive as they could which made the defense look worse than it probably really was in reality.

A QB can change any single game in which he plays. It is very very rare that a DE can and Suggs, IMO, will not make a difference in every game he plays.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Northern Card
So it's all so simple, and just comes down to "balls".

Well, with respect, that's "simplistic". :D

To a certain extent, yes it is that simple. I am not saying the Cards would have been successful, nor am I saying they are ultra talented on D by any means. I have condoned them drafting nothing but defense in rounds 1-3 for some time to upgrade the talent on defense but if the DC is still as conservative as he was last year, all that new talent will not mean very much in the big picture.

But the fact is there are different ways to get a pass rush but really only one way to get a "franchise" QB.

Northern Card

All Star
Reaction score
I take your point, but - bye-the-bye - you can't draft a "franchise" quarterback, you can only hope that the selection proves to be one.

Remember RYAN LEAF:D

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Hearing Graves the other day and just some things he mentioned lead me to believe that he is leaning strongly towards Leftwich. He mentioned a couple things to the effect of whether the young QB comes in and starts or starts midseason.

He was refering to Leftwich in a generic fashion but I found that an odd thing to say.... unless you have already planned it out that way.

It is all lies as Mac says however if it were my first year on the job then I'd draft Leftwich. He is the only caliber of player that if you are successful you will never sniff in the draft again.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I take your point, but - bye-the-bye - you can't draft a "franchise" quarterback, you can only hope that the selection proves to be one.

Of course you can draft a 'franchise' QB...remember PEYTON MANNING :D

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

So you think that Leftwich has a lot in common with the ultimate headcase Ryan Leaf?

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who to draft

I think you have to go with Leftwhich. I like Suggs, and I think he'll be great or he'll bust. But, I don't see an imbetween for him and he's showing me more signs of bust than breakout.

I also think that if you pass on Leftwhich and he slips to #8 or some such, we're going to be watching ESPN clips for the next 10 years about how this guy didn't get the respect he deserved and the Jaguars were so smart for taking him... just once I'd like to see it be the Cardinals that were so smart.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05