Leinart/Warner Situation: Is winning the game the most important thing for Arizona ?

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I have had enough of these analysts who can't wrap thier collective heads around what Coach Whiz is doing with our QB situation.

Plus I will be the first to say that winning, at this point and time for this franchise, is more important that anything, and any player.

WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN

Leinart can't take the riegns, WHEN HE IS READY.

Till then do what it takes to keep on winning.

Sorry, I am just tired of that stupid "all they care about is a win" comments and questions.

BigOX

Reaction score
Extremely so. That's what most people don't get and it's annoying. The Cardinals are a different team. We need to win now, for the sake of our fans and players. There are too many players on this team that have given their all for absolutely nothing and they don't deserve more rebuilding years for our sophomore QB.

We need to build a winning culture, re-sign our core guys, and continue to fight tough.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
I have had enough of these analysts who can't wrap thier collective heads around what Coach Whiz is doing with our QB situation.

Plus I will be the first to say that winning, at this point and time for this franchise, is more important that anything, and any player.

Sorry, I am just tired of that stupid "all they care about is a win" comments and questions.

Thats 13 wins! Yea, do that!

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Leinart doesn't seem to be much of a team player, he tends to be off by himself most of the time. Even though he was hurt he could have cheered the team on at the sideline or encourage Warner when he came off the field. I'm just saying.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Leinart doesn't seem to be much of a team player, he tends to be off by himself most of the time. Even though he was hurt he could have cheered the team on at the sideline or encourage Warner when he came off the field. I'm just saying.

I wonder how easy it is to walk around and be active with a broken collarbone.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

This game is about winning and not about hurt feelings, QB growth, the future or anything else. The fans pay to see their team win. The players play to win. The owner wants to win. In war anything else is unacceptable.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Very well put John, I just hope Leinart's injury has no long term effects on his ability to be our future QB. Leinart is a team player and just because he wants to play does not mean he is not with the team, he is a competitor and wants in...he took a injury today as a Cardinal trying to drive his team to the endzone and I hope he recovers well

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
What concerns me about losing Leinart is that it seems that both QB's get rattled fairly easy. In order to get them "unrattled", Whiz would pull one to calm down and insert the other. The type of play / change of pace each offered seemed more to me as a justification of the switch (and don't get me wrong - offered some great benefits), but one of the underlying reasons is that when either Leinart or Warner got rattled - they made bad plays.

With Leinart out for the next 8 weeks to a season, we've now put all of our eggs in one basket with Warner. The switch will no longer occur. There will be no possibility of benching the rattled QB and replacing him with a fresh one, unless we get the right backup (which seems unlikely at this point).

This may, again IMO, significantly change our game play. I would expect to see additional protection for the QB (more TE / RB protect packages), and running the ball much more.

It will be very interesting to see how the game is called and played against Carolina. Another true test for our Cards.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
What concerns me about losing Leinart is that it seems that both QB's get rattled fairly easy. In order to get them "unrattled", Whiz would pull one to calm down and insert the other. The type of play / change of pace each offered seemed more to me as a justification of the switch (and don't get me wrong - offered some great benefits), but one of the underlying reasons is that when either Leinart or Warner got rattled - they made bad plays.

With Leinart out for the next 8 weeks to a season, we've now put all of our eggs in one basket with Warner. The switch will no longer occur. There will be no possibility of benching the rattled QB and replacing him with a fresh one, unless we get the right backup (which seems unlikely at this point).

This may, again IMO, significantly change our game play. I would expect to see additional protection for the QB (more TE / RB protect packages), and running the ball much more.

It will be very interesting to see how the game is called and played against Carolina. Another true test for our Cards.

I think Warner is one of the coolest QB's in the game. I do not know where your perception that he gets rattled comes from. My concern with Warner is that he stays healthy. He will stand in and take a big hit and he is not a panic sort of guy. My other concern is who is our backup now and just what can he do? Does Graves try to find another older backup with some experience just in case? If Warner stays healthy we will be in this thing for a playoff spot, I think. If he does not we are dead in the water. If Warner had not been playing our record may well have been 1-4. We were very fortunate to have a guy like him as a backup.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I think Warner is one of the coolest QB's in the game. I do not know where your perception that he gets rattled comes from. My concern with Warner is that he stays healthy. He will stand in and take a big hit and he is not a panic sort of guy. My other concern is who is our backup now and just what can he do? Does Graves try to find another older backup with some experience just in case? If Warner stays healthy we will be in this thing for a playoff spot, I think. If he does not we are dead in the water. If Warner had not been playing our record may well have been 1-4. We were very fortunate to have a guy like him as a backup.

As long as he doesn't get hit several times - I agree with you. Pressure doesn't get to him. However, once he's been hit several times, he seems to go into a "daze" that he can't quite shake out of. This may be physical - Warner is no young buck by any means. The beauty of Whiz's 2 QB system was that when Leinart got dazed - Warner came in and Leinart got some time to recover. Same the other way around. It also provided a great change of pace, and made the defense scheme for two QB's, not just one.

Warner has looked much better this year behind a very good OL. There is no reason not to expect more of the same. However, I believe that the next group of teams, when reviewing the game tapes of Warner last year and of this year, will go blitz heavy in order to garner hits - in which (and I fear) will get Warner go back to the daze.

Does Graves try to find another QB with experience? Yes - though there is no better than Warner at this time that is available. It's an insurance policy in case Warner goes down - pure & simple. Will Whiz use the 2 QB system with the expected new sign? Probably not.

I agree with you that without Warner we would not be where we're at - we'd be 1-4 looking at a very long tough road ahead of us, and this board would be filled with posts looking forward to the next draft class.