Lendale White is a mistake at 10. There I said it!

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Duckjake said:
OK who do you change out?

LT - Davis
LG-Wells,Bridges,Haayer,
C -Step and Leckey
RG-Elton Brown
RT-Ross

It looks to me like the only piece that is going to change is left guard. Davis isn't going anywhere. And Step,Leckey,Ross and Brown have 2,2,1 and 1 year respectively on the line so I don't see them going anywhere either. I see the Cards getting a solid but not spectacular FA to fill in the hole at LG and maybe drafting another lineman in later rounds.

LT-Davis
LG-Brown, Elton... (in a pipe dream Hutch!)
C- Bentley or whatever his name is from NO
RG- Ross
RT- Wells or a rookie/FA

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Isn't this supposed to be a weak draft after the first 8 or so picks?

Why not trade down for more picks in this draft or the next? We should at least entertain the thought of trading down.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
PortlandCardFan said:
LT-Davis
LG-Brown, Elton... (in a pipe dream Hutch!)
C- Bentley or whatever his name is from NO
RG- Ross
RT- Wells or a rookie/FA

I dunno. With that line they'd likely lead the league in sacks AND in fewest rushing yards per game.

Better with

Davis
Bentley/FA
Leckey
Brown
Ross

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Go

id go for...
lt-davis/whitworth (rd3) or a vet fa journeyman
lg-brown/wells
c-bentley/leckey/step
rg-gilles(rd2)/wells
rt-ross/whitworth (rd3) or a vet fa journeyman

or...
lt-davis
lg-brown
c-leckey
rg-bentley
rt-ross/rd 2 rookie (winston/scott)
________
Medical marijuana

Last edited:
OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
If we draft White he's the starter, period. QUOTE]

SAYS WHO!?!?!

I have heard way too many cons against White.

He is not as fast as they say.

He is not in great shape, and has problems finding his way to the wieght room.

Off the field problems.

To say a kid who has not even played a snap in the NFL will walk in and be handed the starting RB position is ridiculous. The guy didn't even start on his college team for pete's sake. Blah, blah, blah he played behind Reggie Bush is just an excuse.

I could care less who we get besides him. James, Green, Alexander.

But if White is labeled as a slower than advertised, "power back" well then I say we TRY (since even that fact has been challenged in this thread) to sign Jonathan Wells, OR a Wells type IF that is what we are looking for.

I think I read Davenport would be a good option as well.

Why pick a rookie when you can have a young RB with the same skills, and some NFL experience ?

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Holian said:
Jonathon Wells was a 3rd string back on the worst team in the NFL but he is suddently the answer to our problems.

Where does anyone say that?

Holian said:
To compare LenDale White to Jonathon Wells is just plain wrong.

Well in my opinion to proclaim Lendale White as a top 10 pick is just plain wrong.

What did he do in college that makes him a starting back in the NFL?

I see he in fact played a lot of that "junk time" you speak of. Power back with average speed? Sounds like a Jonathan Wells type to me. Or is it better I use Najeh Davenport ?

Yes our running attack sucks. But I am a believer in taking care of your big men first. Upgrading our offensive line will not only improve the run, but also make our already potent passing game better. Warner had a great year and he had no time to throw the ball. Imagine if he did?

And we need some larger Defensive linemen, and in my opinion a quality MLB who doesn't have two bad knees.

Hey if we pick White then great! But when he does do diddle squat behind a line with Fred Wakefield at guard it won't really matter will it.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
IMO, it as simple as this: if L White runs a good 40 time at the combine, he will be considered a top 10 talent. Denny will draft BPA and that may mean RB L White. The next few weeks will tell a lot.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
OK who do you change out?

LT - Davis
LG-Wells,Bridges,Haayer, ---> I would "change out" these guys
C -Step and Leckey ---> A center that doesn't get blown off the ball as soon as the ball is snapped would be nice.
RG-Elton Brown
RT-Ross ----> Come on now. We all know this has to change.

So that would be 3 spots that really need to be addessed.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
artp said:
IMO, it as simple as this: if L White runs a good 40 time at the combine, he will be considered a top 10 talent. Denny will draft BPA and that may mean RB L White. The next few weeks will tell a lot.

I can live with that.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Why not trade down for more picks in this draft or the next? We should at least entertain the thought of trading down.

:eek: :eek:

Do not trade down. If we want another pick in the first round, trade next year's first round pick for it.

If we trade the #10 pick away for more.......my family'll have to talk me off the top of a building.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
So that would be 3 spots that really need to be addessed.

Isn't going to happen. I don't see Green getting rid of his guys after only one or two years.

And why does everyone want to move Brown from RG to LG. Continuity is the #1 problem with the Cards Oline so why would you want to have Brown start over? Brown was considered by one person who's opinion seems to normally be right on the money as the best G in the 2005 draft. Leave him alone.

They've tinkered with the offensive line forever. The one thing they haven't tried is leaving it alone. Go look at the top offensive lines. The one thing they have in common is guys who've been with their team for several years.

The Cards have had 5 different guys start at Center, the critical position on the Oline because of the line calls, to begin the season over the last 9 years and at least 10 start a game during that time.

Look at these numbers:

Jeff Saturday 6 years as starter at C for the Colts 7 in the league
Nalen 12 years with Denver
Hartings 5 years at Pitt 10 years in the league
Mitchell 5 starting for Carolina 9 in the NFL
Braham 12 years with the Bengals
Kreutz 8 years with the Bears
Tobek 6 years with 'Hawks 12 years in the NFL

And we wonder why our Oline looks lost while those olines are in the playoffs.

BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

Registered
Reaction score
I spoke with Lendale's uncle ,Herman White yesterday. He coached Lendale from pop warner all the way through high school. He currently coaches at a crosstown rival of the high school I coach at. I told him that I for one, as well as many Cardinals fans are hoping that Lendale will be drafted by the Cardinals. He replied by saying , "that's where we're hoping he goes". With the Wr's they have, & leadership at the QB position, Lendale could be the missing piece to the puzzle. Also Mentioned that Lendale's teamate & good friend TE Byrd has potential to be the best TE in the draft. They openly talk about playing their pro careers together. (not Likely). I'm all for drafting Lendale, (provided Vince young isn't available) Forget the 40 times garbage. This kid has been productive at every level. The kid was 5-11 , 200 lbs at age 13. Holds the Colordao High School rushing record, & is an intense competitor. Let's not forget had it not been for Vince Young's heroics. Lendale would have won MVP in the championship game. I can get use to some 2nd down & short yardage for a change. I know our O-line needs to be retooled. Denny Green & his staff will work on that. Lendale gives us the presence in the backfield we've lacked since OJ Anderson. Drafting White would be the right thing to do. There I said it!

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well in my opinion to proclaim Lendale White as a top 10 pick is just plain wrong.
So is proclaiming "not a top 10 pick."

Let's see how things play themselves out between now and Draft Day.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
What did he do in college that makes him a starting back in the NFL?

Didn't he lead USC in rushing and lead them in TDs rushing this past season?

I'd say that he was able to take carries away from what many people argue is the most dangerous weapon in college football in a long time speaks volumes. It wasn't like he was splitting carries on an unranked team.

Did you watch his games this year? I personally saw him destroy ASU in the second half of their game this year. He sure didn't look slow to me then. Then in the Rose Bowl he didn't exactly disappear.

I personally have less questions with him than I did with Cedric Benson in last seasons draft.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Isn't going to happen. I don't see Green getting rid of his guys after only one or two years.

And why does everyone want to move Brown from RG to LG. Continuity is the #1 problem with the Cards Oline so why would you want to have Brown start over? Brown was considered by one person who's opinion seems to normally be right on the money as the best G in the 2005 draft. Leave him alone.

Continuity is the constant battle cry for many posters. I keep asking how we can have continuity when none of these guys can stay healthy. This is just not a one year thing for some of them. Brown himself didn't play much because he was injured, changing his position now won't effect continuity because NONE of them stayed healthy long enough to actually play together.

They've tinkered with the offensive line forever. The one thing they haven't tried is leaving it alone.

Maybe the line could be left alone if any of them can make it through a season without missing time due to injury

Go look at the top offensive lines. The one thing they have in common is guys who've been with their team for several years.

And stayed relatively healthy

The Cards have had 5 different guys start at Center, the critical position on the Oline because of the line calls, to begin the season over the last 9 years and at least 10 start a game during that time.

Mostly due to injuries

Look at these numbers:

Jeff Saturday 6 years as starter at C for the Colts 7 in the league
Nalen 12 years with Denver
Hartings 5 years at Pitt 10 years in the league
Mitchell 5 starting for Carolina 9 in the NFL
Braham 12 years with the Bengals
Kreutz 8 years with the Bears
Tobek 6 years with 'Hawks 12 years in the NFL

If you want to show us numbers see how many games these players have missed due to injury.

And we wonder why our Oline looks lost while those olines are in the playoffs.

I don't wonder why! Poor players, injuries and only 2 1st round picks on the Oline in the past 10 years. We need a major upgrade in talent and someone who can play for 2 years in a row without missing games due to injury. Talent and continuity will solve the Oline issues.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Cardiac said:
I don't wonder why! Poor players, injuries and only 2 1st round picks on the Oline in the past 10 years. We need a major upgrade in talent and someone who can play for 2 years in a row without missing games due to injury. Talent and continuity will solve the Oline issues.

So what are you suggesting, that the Cardinals hire a psychic to tell them which guys are going to get injured next fall?

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Redsz said:
How would you know, Rugby? The guy hasn't taken a snap at MLB for about a year.

How would you know he is any good? He hasn't taken a snap at MLB period. AND he is recovering from an injury.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
Russ Smith said:
If we draft White he's the starter, period. QUOTE]

SAYS WHO!?!?!

I have heard way too many cons against White.

He is not as fast as they say.

He is not in great shape, and has problems finding his way to the wieght room.

Off the field problems.

To say a kid who has not even played a snap in the NFL will walk in and be handed the starting RB position is ridiculous. The guy didn't even start on his college team for pete's sake. Blah, blah, blah he played behind Reggie Bush is just an excuse.

IBut if White is labeled as a slower than advertised, "power back" well then I say we TRY (since even that fact has been challenged in this thread) to sign Jonathan Wells, OR a Wells type IF that is what we are looking for.

IWhy pick a rookie when you can have a young RB with the same skills, and some NFL experience ?

First off, to say it's ridiculous when green did the exact thing this year with JJ, who was a SECOND round pick, is showing a little short term memory loss. Green said repeatedly he drafted arrington to play. You think if he takes White 10th(34 slots higher than JJ) he's not going to expect him to play? now if he sucks, he'll lose the job like JJ did, but if we take White at 10, he's the starter, period. That's Green's whole philosophy, play high picks right away.

How do you know he's slower than advertised, nobody even has a 40 time on him yet. nobody ever said he was slow, just that he's not a burner.

He started at RB his first 2 years, he lost the starting job this year in the OFFSEASON because he was in summer school getting his grades up so he could play, while Bush was working his butt off. Carroll rewarded Bush by making him the starter, White led USC in rushing his first 2 years. And you genuinely think that saying he was backing up the guy who won the Heisman is not an excuse? Ronnie Brown didn't start in college, look how high he went, if you can play, they'll take you.

Yes he's not a great conditioning guy, but he never had to be, Green won't tolerate that I don't think we have to be overly concerned. White wants to be the man, at USC he was always splitting carries.

Again the off field stuff is mainly academics, unless he's too dumb to remember plays, that won't be a factor in the NFL because he doesn't have to pretend to be a student anymore. Now if he is too dumb to remember plays, it could be a problem, but he did ok at USC.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
So what are you suggesting, that the Cardinals hire a psychic to tell them which guys are going to get injured next fall?

I don't have to be psychic to know most of our current Olinemen won't make it through the entire season this year. I also know several others flat out stink.

Soooooooooo what I suggest is we upgrade the talent level of this untalented injury prone group we have.

How anyone can look at a game or review stats and think this group will suddenly not suck is drinking gallons of koolaide.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
This thread might be moot anyway if the Cards sign a FA RB as has been speculated. Green said to expect alot of signings this off season. So as March draws near we'll see how it plays out. What needs there will be at draft time. This year more than others the first 3 picks will be more need picks addressing: RB, OL (2- G & T) , DT , FS and poss. TE. I expect at least three signings to shore up those spots along with QB,

Last edited:

spanky1

Reaction score
Cardiac said:
I don't have to be psychic to know most of our current Olinemen won't make it through the entire season this year. I also know several others flat out stink.

Soooooooooo what I suggest is we upgrade the talent level of this untalented injury prone group we have.

How anyone can look at a game or review stats and think this group will suddenly not suck is drinking gallons of koolaide.

....."to know that most of our current O-Linemen won't make it through the entire season".....what a load of crap.

Talent does not equate to injury free play.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
....."to know that most of our current O-Linemen won't make it through the entire season".....what a load of crap.

Talent does not equate to injury free play.

To say all this Oline needs is playing time together is a bigger load of crap. The next time 4 out of the 5 projected starters play the entire season together will be the first time.

Of course talen does not equate to injury free, never said it does. So to your statement we shouldn't worry about upgrading the talent level of our Oline because they may get injured?

Acquiring some FA talent that has a track record of staying healthy is a better option then hoping the current M*A*S*H unit not only stays healthy put gets DRAMATICALLY better.