Leonard Davis Sucks

DKCards

Reaction score
joeshmo said:
BIG did his job perfectly in that pitcure.

He was supposed to block on the inside towards the DT, leaving the outside block to the TE and Femi to block the DE, which looks like he is zeroed in on. If 70 wasnt in the backfield so fast tahts a TD.
Somebody missed 70 completely but if memory serves me right Wells missed his block completely also. His man came up and filled the hole as Shipp was falling forward. So I don't think it was a sure TD but it would have been a lot closer if 70 didn't blow the whole thing up.

I have another question. Why do we always try to run over the left side, especially in short yardage plays? Isn't the strength of Ross and Brown's games run blocking? All I heard is they are both better run blockers then pass blockers. And all I hear about Wells is he is great at pass blocking but lacks in run blocking.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
PortlandCardFan said:
Watching Ross get pushed back 8 yards into Warner was very depressing.

they should withhold ross's entire gamecheck and revoke his manhood for that play alone.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need a voice of reason here again. K9, very good footage. Davis was not at fault here, nor did he play badly. Has he fell short of expectations so far - probably. But 1 guy does not make an OL great. You could take MANY, MANY HOF O-lineman & put them on the Cardinal teams of the last 10 years & my guess is that they would never have made the HOF. Would Deirdorf be in the Hall without the other guys he played with. That was a very good O-Line even without Deirdorf. Deirdorf made it a GREAT O-Line. Until we shore up the center position & right side, this O-Line as a whole will still look crappy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Meanwhile, Jonathan Ogden got OWNED by Dwight Freeney last night. Simply OWNED. Killed his QB, and was in Jamal Lewis's grille basically every single down.

3 tackles, 0 sacks, much of the night 1 on 1 with one of the best pass rushers in the NFL is not owned. Triplett was the guy who injured Boller and Ogden wasn't blocking him. No question Freeney gave him trouble at times needing help, at times blowing up plays he didn't make the tackle on, but not owned IMHO.

That said, he's slipped, he's had some back problems and I don't think he's al flexible as he was before, I think short quick guys like Freeney bother him a lot more now than they used to.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
3 tackles, 0 sacks, much of the night 1 on 1 with one of the best pass rushers in the NFL is not owned. Triplett was the guy who injured Boller and Ogden wasn't blocking him. No question Freeney gave him trouble at times needing help, at times blowing up plays he didn't make the tackle on, but not owned IMHO.

That said, he's slipped, he's had some back problems and I don't think he's al flexible as he was before, I think short quick guys like Freeney bother him a lot more now than they used to.

His stat line doesn't indicate how bad he raped Ogden on almost every play, Freeney was always forcing Lewis right up the gut and forcing Boller and Wright to make rushed throws. BTW my boy Cato June had an amazing game.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Shane H said:

This is just foolish, Davis is a top 5-7 LT. He is by far our best lineman. He almost always sticks his assignments and we run to his side a lot, which is indicative of his ability as a run blocker.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Meanwhile, Jonathan Ogden got OWNED by Dwight Freeney last night. Simply OWNED. Killed his QB, and was in Jamal Lewis's grille basically every single down.
The announcers were talking how Ogden obsessed the whole off season on how to figure out Freeney or try to contain him. A lot of scouts were saying that he can't play DE since he was too small for the position but between Freeney and Ed Reed they are both the top dominating defensive players IMO.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
His stat line doesn't indicate how bad he raped Ogden on almost every play, Freeney was always forcing Lewis right up the gut and forcing Boller and Wright to make rushed throws. BTW my boy Cato June had an amazing game.

I didn't see the whole game but my impression is they were running inside because they thought that was the weakness of the Colts defense, not because they didn't think they could run at Freeney. they had 75 yards on 20 carries by RB's they simply fell behind and had to throw(for 350 yards). The Colts defense forced 4 turnovers, its' not that they shut down the Ravens they simply turned them over, like we did to so many teams last year.

Freeney definitely gave him fits in the pass game he does that to everyone and let's face it, Ogden is not a young man anymore he's 31 and I still wish we'd picked him over Simeon Rice.

But I guess on 2nd thought owned probably is a fair description off last night, Freeney is a remarkable player.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
:D

Told you so... :thumbup:

If you knew how hard it was for me to admit a UCLA guy got owned but on 2nd thought if you need help as often as he did, you're getting owned at LT.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
This is just foolish, Davis is a top 5-7 LT. He is by far our best lineman. He almost always sticks his assignments and we run to his side a lot, which is indicative of his ability as a run blocker.

Well you got one part right...he is by far our best lineman. Top 5 Tackle? I know you are joking....

Should I go further than Pace, Ogden, Jones, Flozel Adams, Diem, Petitgout, Roaf, Salaam, Samuels, Tait, ...

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Well you got one part right...he is by far our best lineman. Top 5 Tackle? I know you are joking....

Should I go further than Pace, Ogden, Jones, Flozel Adams, Diem, Petitgout, Roaf, Salaam, Samuels, Tait, ...

It's not big's talent that causes those guys to be ahead of him.

It's that he dosen't seem to play mean football.

When he's mad he's scary good but he dosen't seem to take things too seriously and has lapses.

He's still our best lineman.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:

5-7? Don't think so. He's 3rd in the NFC West alone with Pace and Jones ahead of him.

He's nowhere near the worst but not top 10 either.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Grand Canon said:
He has to be the worst starting left tackle in the league!! Did anyone else notice that swhen we needed some short yards we ran left??? And that he either missed his block or got blown up??? I cant freaking believe how bad he is.... He is another bust in the long line of cardinal high draft picks- I wouldnt be surprised to see another person starting there by year end.. Watch the game film it is depressing how inconsistent he is...

Your 23rd... dumb post... congratulations!!! :stupid:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:

2004:

Walter Jones: 0 sacks (!).
Ryan Diem: 1 sack.
Jonathan Ogden: 3 sacks.
Orlando Pace: 5 sacks.
Willie Roaf: 5 sacks.
Chris Samuels: 5 sacks.
John Tait: 5 sacks.
Leonard Davis: 6 sacks.
Ephraim Salaam: 7 sacks.
Flozell Adams: 7.5 sacks.

http://snap.stats.com/snap/pfw/nfl/index.asp

Big75 is about right. He isn't 5-7. He was 8th. Slightly better than 'medicore'.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Redsz said:
2004:

Big75 is about right. He isn't 5-7. He was 8th. Slightly better than 'medicore'.

Ogden missed 4 games. Also, it just so happpens that Jones and Pace are the NFL's two best tackles, so obviously Davis is 3rd in our division. Saying Samuels is better is a joke, same with Salaam and Adams. I might even put Davis ahead of Ogden. Two guys who are absent from that list as good LTs are Levi Jones and Marvel Smith, oh and Tra Thomas.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Grand Canon said:
He has to be the worst starting left tackle in the league!! Did anyone else notice that swhen we needed some short yards we ran left??? And that he either missed his block or got blown up??? I cant freaking believe how bad he is.... He is another bust in the long line of cardinal high draft picks- I wouldnt be surprised to see another person starting there by year end.. Watch the game film it is depressing how inconsistent he is...

no davis is average, if you want suck go look at that bag o crap named Lynch, that my friend is suck city.

DCCardsFan

Rookie
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Actually, Ogden WAS blocking (or trying, that is) Triplett, when Triplett took an outside rush and hurt Boller. Freeney had stunted to the inside, and Ogden got flat out beat (again).

Ogden was horrible Sunday night, there's no two ways about it. They CONSISTENTLY kept Todd Heap in to help him out on Freeney. When they didn't chip Freeney, he beat Ogden. No sacks, but two holding penalties, he blew up the RB in the backfield once, and Ogden had at least three false starts.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Redsz said:
2004:

We are splitting hairs now....I agree he is about mediocre...He is certainly not top 5 or even sniffing the pro bowl like so many on this board are so fond of saying!

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If all the linemen played as "bad" as Davis, this would be the best line in the league.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry said:
If all the linemen played as "bad" as Davis, this would be the best line in the league.

Thank you Harry for, in one sentence, stating what should be the obvious.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Thank you Harry for, in one sentence, stating what should be the obvious.

Again no one suggesting he is "bad" just not an elite LT. thats all. sheesh

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Again no one suggesting he is "bad" just not an elite LT. thats all. sheesh

See the title of this thread. :trout:

(I wouldn't say he's elite either, BTW.)