Lessons learned in free agency: Part II

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lessons learned in free agency: Part II

Seth Polansky
azcardinals.com

The Cardinals have missed out on acquiring another tight end so far. One player in particular stood out above the rest for Whisenhunt and his system, and that was Kelly from the Bengals. Kelly turned down a larger offer from the Cards just to stay in Cincinnati. You can say all you want about a guy refusing more money somewhere else, but that is exactly the kind of character player Arizona is looking for. Now a tight end will either be sought after in the draft or possibly as free agency enters its second or third month.

Other free-agent tight ends were not pursued because they would have not been the right fit. Kyle Brady is a solid player, but after 12 NFL seasons, there wouldn't be much left in his tank. And Randy McMichael is a pass-happy tight end that has complained in the past in Miami when he wasn't catching enough footballs. The Cardinals have a bevy of wide receivers to do that. They need a blocking tight end to help in the running game. And the biggest names still out there are players like Todd Yoder, Doug Jolley and Jerramy Stevens, who recently had a run-in with the law. Not a great fit with those guys.

With so many teams focused in the last few years on using the tight end like an extra receiver, the Cardinals might benefit with having some tight ends fall later in the draft that aren't known purely for being offensive weapons. Guys like Rutgers' Clark Harris, Oregon State's Joe Newton and Nevada's Anthony Pudewell are considered better than most of the pack, and they are known as great blockers. And the better blocking tight ends seem to be a little taller and a little heavier than the receiving ones. This is the fit Whisenhunt is looking for.

"It's kind of cyclical. Some years it seems different teams in the league have different offenses, and they could be geared more toward a pass-catching guy. Others are more geared toward a blocker," Whisenhunt mentioned. "Some years there aren't as many teams in the league looking for a blocker, then that would have those guys slip a little bit lower in the draft. Sometimes you think, 'OK, maybe this guy will be there later.' Once again, with that, you never know what kinds of needs a team has. We're not going to know until we have our draft meetings and get through all of these players and have an idea of where they fit in."

If the team decides to go with a tight end in the draft, it will give the Cards one of the youngest units in the league. Leonard Pope played in all 16 games last year as a rookie, which will surely give him confidence if he is to be the senior member of the corps.

The salary cap money may be dwindling, however, it's not gone. There's still enough there to get a player or players of interest, including a possible fullback. Many fans have heard the roster bonus vs. signing bonus debate for weeks now, but what is it going to cost the team in the next few years? Almost nothing. Vice President of Football Operations Rod Graves recognized very early on that this overall free-agent class was not fantastic. And he has made it known at the onset of free agency that the team was not going to overspend on guys just because the money was there. That means when next year's group of potential free agents, which is sure to be much better than this year's, becomes available, then Arizona will have as much money as possible to go after the big names. The 49ers went out and bought some expensive free agents in the first couple of weeks of free agency, but they can't afford deals like Clements' again in 2008.

But who knows if the club is even going to need some of those potential big names. With a bunch of the core players intact through the 2007-2011 seasons, there will be few holes to fill. If there is that one key guy out there in 2008, then the Cardinals can go after him with plenty of money to entice him with. No waiting around to see how the market plays out. No other signings for depth -- get another Edgerrin James-type impact player. Even if the team wins the Super Bowl this year, it will still need to improve. Look what happened to the Pittsburgh after its big win two seasons ago, and Tampa Bay from 2002.

Whisenhunt, a former Steelers coordinator, vows for that not to happen here.

Knowing most the pieces are already in place, Whisenhunt made sure some of the Cardinals stayed Cardinals. Milligan, Marcel Shipp and Monty Beisel are all key role players that have been retained. Shipp will see an increased workload with Whisenhunt's plan on running the ball a lot more, and Milligan and Beisel are solid on the special teams units. In addition, Beisel is a linebacker that will be a part of what can be an active rotation.
"You never know what players are going to step up," Whisenhunt said. "We may have somebody that comes in here, for example, in Pittsburgh we had Willie Parker, as a free agent and makes our team. And all of a sudden you're not looking for that position anymore."

And don't forget about the June 1 cuts. A few players can find a new home after their early summer release. These may not be the top guys you would find at the beginning of free agency, but there might be some who can push for serious playing time. Not everyone gets released because they couldn't cut it -- sometimes it's because of a roster bonus that was due to take effect or having a newly drafted rookie beat out a veteran in camp.

"You get a better feel for that as it gets closer to that date," said Whisenhunt. "But it's been very good. I think the way we did it through the first weekend, Rod Graves did a great job of being patient and making sure we got the deal done with (Johnson). And we've worked diligently over the last couple of weeks. Nothing's been rushed. We've made sure we got the right players we felt would be the right fit for us. We're excited about it."

Almost no one thought the Jets and Saints would make it to the playoffs last year, but they did. And with rosters full of "who theys" and "never will bes," those two teams went to the postseason. Now the newest Cardinals are no longer mysteries. They have been scrutinized and second-guessed since they signed. But no one will be saying anything negative about the few new players who "weren't good enough somewhere else" if they help this team's turnaround.

"Free agency has gone in some different directions than I thought it was," Whisenhunt added. "But it seems like everything just fell into place. This process is still ongoing, which is something we knew going into it. We now have time to address other issues."

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=1613

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
"And don't forget about the June 1 cuts"

Who the heck is this fool? June 1st hasn't been significant in a long time. This year it will be even less so since most teams won't have to release anyone for cap purposes.

I'd rather read articles about the cheerleaders offseasons than garbage like this.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Garbage. But I do believe Whisenhunt's reaction. He's never been a head coach before and Rod Graves believes in giving his coach help in getting the type of players the coach wants, rather than dictating to him.

A more assertive personnel guy would probably have been more help to a first time head coach.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I didnt want to bash these becuase they are just puff PR pieces and that is what I take them for, but you have got to be kidding me.

But I just cant help but think this is some sort of joke or something.

June 1st cuts.

Telling everyone what our day 2 plans in the draft is most likely going to be.

Telling us a player would rather play for a crime ring for less money.

FA will be better next year when it already looks at best the same as this year.

Says that we may look at another TE in the 2nd or 3rd month of FA then proceeds to blast all of the remaining TE's on the market.

And Graves did not, "recognize very early on that this overall free-agent class was not fantastic" a week before FA when he kept talking about how aggresive they were going. He recognized it 1 day before free agency when he changed his tune in another puff PR piece.

I was starting to feel better about free agency when every thing happened during my vacation about a week ago, then they post something like this on their web site. It just screams of trying to blow smoke up where the sun dont shine.

Why do they feel the need to write an PR piece full of excuses? They werent being blasted by media, in fact some have said they liked what they have done, a lot of fans have somewhat quieted down since the very beginning. They have been blasted for the most part for more then a week now. Why the need for a piece like this?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That means when next year's group of potential free agents, which is sure to be much better than this year's, becomes available, then Arizona will have as much money as possible to go after the big names.

This is the greatest bunch of hogwash that's ever been shoveled from the Cards' media department. If it weren't for the Stockholm Syndrome so rampant on this board, fans would be up in arms over the fact that the Cards aren't willing to do the things it takes to compete this season.

nurnay

whatever
Reaction score
That means when next year's group of potential free agents, which is sure to be much better than this year's, becomes available, then Arizona will have as much money as possible to go after the big names.

Now, I can't verify this due to laziness, but I've read in numerous places that next year's FA class isn't any stronger than this year. If so, why is this guy saying this?

Still, I'm glad the Cards didn't jump on the "overspending for average talent" bandwagon like many other teams. At least we won't have to deal with the backlash from veteran players making less than these overpriced FA's.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Now, I can't verify this due to laziness, but I've read in numerous places that next year's FA class isn't any stronger than this year. If so, why is this guy saying this?

Still, I'm glad the Cards didn't jump on the "overspending for average talent" bandwagon like many other teams. At least we won't have to deal with the backlash from veteran players making less than these overpriced FA's.

What's it matter whose roster they're on? You don't think that Karlos Dansby saw what Adalius Thomas got in free agency? People are going to have to get used to the fact that this is the going rate for starting-caliber players now. The prices aren't going to come down. Ever.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
What's it matter whose roster they're on? You don't think that Karlos Dansby saw what Adalius Thomas got in free agency? People are going to have to get used to the fact that this is the going rate for starting-caliber players now. The prices aren't going to come down. Ever.

But that's not what Graves is saying....

I believe the market will be better next season. Because with this huge jump in contracts, less player are going to sign extentions with their team, because they want to test the market. That doens't mean that the the prices are going down, but it does mean more players available IMO.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
But that's not what Graves is saying....

I believe the market will be better next season. Because with this huge jump in contracts, less player are going to sign extentions with their team, because they want to test the market. That doens't mean that the the prices are going down, but it does mean more players available IMO.

And Graves has to get some credit for resigning a lot of our guys to extensions before the prices went through the roof. I can only imagine what Dockett would have brought on the free agent market and I don't even want to think what people on this board would be saying if they hadn't locked up Boldin with a long term deal and he became a free agent.

The article is correct about the fact that we do have our core group locked up for a while. A lot of teams will have some of their best players not resign because they want to test the free agent market. Graves recognized that prices would be going up and identifed players that the club wanted to retained and got them under contract for reasonable amounts.

Remember that a lot of people on this board complained that the Cards over spent when they extended Dockett before his contract expired. Now many backups that have barely saw the field have contracs better than his.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

Simple not true. People were saying the same exact thing the last 2 years when the cap went up over 25% those 2 years. It didnt happen then and it wont happen now when the cap goes up 6%.

People need to get used to the fact that every team in the league knows how to manipulate the cap now a days. Teams just arent in cap trouble any more. 90% of the league still have plenty of cap space with zero mid range to high priced FA to still sign. Teams will have a lot of money still left over after the draft, and plenty to re-sign what they see as their core or must have players.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
This is all pretty standard boilerplate Cardinal speak. The only part that really makes me want to hurl is the June 1 thing. Who do they think they're still kidding with that one?

Either Graves is an idiot (i.e. he really believes that we'll get some hot free agents in June) or he's a liar (i.e. he's just saying "Wait till June!" to pretend like the team is going to be aggressive).

Take your pick, idiot vs. liar.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is all pretty standard boilerplate Cardinal speak. The only part that really makes me want to hurl is the June 1 thing. Who do they think they're still kidding with that one?

Either Graves is an idiot (i.e. he really believes that we'll get some hot free agents in June) or he's a liar (i.e. he's just saying "Wait till June!" to pretend like the team is going to be aggressive).

Sounds like a great offseason poll!

Honestly, I trust Skkorp and Nidan not to be total fools in believing in Rod Graves to be an honest man. It would be one thing if Rod was a slickster, but he strikes me as overly earnest.

Which makes me think that Rod Graves is likely a fool. Not a single one of his gambles has panned out (the draft is an inherent gamble, so it's hard to credit him too much for Anquan Boldin, but the Trade Down is not), and his predictions are reliably contrary to fact. I'm sure that he's a nice guy and a good administrator, but as an executive it's hard to say that he's been anything but an abject failure.

I can't wait for the apologists to come in and say "But he brang in Ken Wisenhunt!" But they won't do that anymore, since that's exactly what they said about Denny Green. Remember when the Denny Green hiring was the one thing that Graves apologists could hang their hats on? Good times...

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I didnt want to bash these becuase they are just puff PR pieces and that is what I take them for, but you have got to be kidding me.

But I just cant help but think this is some sort of joke or something.

June 1st cuts.

Telling everyone what our day 2 plans in the draft is most likely going to be.

Telling us a player would rather play for a crime ring for less money.

FA will be better next year when it already looks at best the same as this year.

Says that we may look at another TE in the 2nd or 3rd month of FA then proceeds to blast all of the remaining TE's on the market.

And Graves did not, "recognize very early on that this overall free-agent class was not fantastic" a week before FA when he kept talking about how aggresive they were going. He recognized it 1 day before free agency when he changed his tune in another puff PR piece.

I was starting to feel better about free agency when every thing happened during my vacation about a week ago, then they post something like this on their web site. It just screams of trying to blow smoke up where the sun dont shine.

Why do they feel the need to write an PR piece full of excuses? They werent being blasted by media, in fact some have said they liked what they have done, a lot of fans have somewhat quieted down since the very beginning. They have been blasted for the most part for more then a week now. Why the need for a piece like this?

I am sure glad to see the ever present "June Cuts" brought up once again. This is an annual announcement that comes just like Spring. Have we ever got anyone who was a starter in such cuts?

N.O last year had two of the best runners in the NFL and a good QB. That was what really made that team click

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This is the greatest bunch of hogwash that's ever been shoveled from the Cards' media department. If it weren't for the Stockholm Syndrome so rampant on this board, fans would be up in arms over the fact that the Cards aren't willing to do the things it takes to compete this season.

Seems we are always going to be in good shape "next year"! It is time to look to "this year". Next year may never come for us. The Cubs new President took the position this year was the year for the Cubs to win the pennant and even the series. No more rebuilding, no more excuses or saving money. Go for the gold today. He went out and spent $315 mil to sign new players. Outspending the Yanks and Boston. They may not reach their lofty goals but they sure as hell are trying which as a fan is all I can ask.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score

I remember a time when we were not only hoping to pick up a starter after June 1st, we were counting on it for several positions...

We have been in a lot worse shape than we are now.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teams will have a lot of money still left over after the draft, and plenty to re-sign what they see as their core or must have players.

This is the key. Keeping your core players and not letting them hit the open market. Teams must be built through the draft and you must keep your best young players locked up. That is how you build a winner.

Teams are not going to let their young studs hit the open market. That is why spending tons of money on Big-Ticket free agents is a huge gamble. Most likely you are getting an aging star or an underachiever. You will rarely see that return on investment.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score

I thought they changed the CBA so that you could cut players prior to the free agency period and still spread the hit out over the next two seasons? Didnt that make June 1 pretty much a non event?

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Simple not true. People were saying the same exact thing the last 2 years when the cap went up over 25% those 2 years. It didnt happen then and it wont happen now when the cap goes up 6%.

People need to get used to the fact that every team in the league knows how to manipulate the cap now a days. Teams just arent in cap trouble any more. 90% of the league still have plenty of cap space with zero mid range to high priced FA to still sign. Teams will have a lot of money still left over after the draft, and plenty to re-sign what they see as their core or must have players.

You don't know that, yet...

The increase in the cap didn't create huge salary increases last season. It did this season, and I pretty confident that players becoming FAs next season noticed how the free agents, who extented their deals before the start of free agency this season, got screwed.

I'm guessing players are less willing to extent their deals during the season and before the start of FA because of that.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
You don't know that, yet...

The increase in the cap didn't create huge salary increases last season. It did this season, and I pretty confident that players becoming FAs next season noticed how the free agents, who extented their deals before the start of free agency this season, got screwed.

I'm guessing players are less willing to extent their deals during the season and before the start of FA because of that.

And that was the same exact post for the 2005 offseason, the 2006 offseason, this offseason, And I guess we will use it for the 2008 offseason as well. In the first 3 cases it didnt turn out to be true then and it ist true today.

Players and agents are not stupid. The cap figure for last year and for this coming year were already figured out in the new CBA over 2 seasons ago, so the big rise in the cap wasnt new to them when they did sign their extensions before this offseason or next offseason. They already knew there was going to be a lot of extra cap dollars out there yet they still signed their extensions. They didnt wait to be a free agent even though they already knew how much cap dollars were going to be available in free agency, so they didnt do it then so what makes think they will do it now. Because of 5-6 big contracts (they are just as big as years past if you add inflation), the same big contracts that everyone goes crazy over every single year.

Man every year there are 5-6 contracts that every one goes gaga over and talks about how bad they are and how other free agents will take notice and things will get out of hand becuase others will want their share to. And every year it never happens. If it didnt happen the largest cap increase over a 2 year period it wont happen on a 6% increase. Teams are 10 times smarter in manipulating contracts then they have ever been is another part of it as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05