Things I Think I’ve Learned

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I already agree in this thread about Allen. We should have kept him.

Watt was a phenomenal player, but again, he only played 7 games that year and when we needed him, he went down. We payed over $20 million a year to a player who had major injury issues and are still paying him with dead money. Hes really not a great example.

And who this off season was a Watt type player without the injury history? Was there a single player that could offer that type of impact on defense? The only ones I can think of were franchised or re-signed prior to the start of FA. Jonathan Greenard at $20 million doesn't move the needle, IMHO, enough to make this defense special, especially given hes missed 18 games in 4 years.

I wish we had signed more impact players, but not wasting $20 million on one player isn't an issue for me.

Anytime you can get a future hall of famer like Watt you do it. He is everything you want in a player. Elite Talent. Great Locker Room Guy. Awesome in the community. It was a no brainer.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anytime you can get a future hall of famer like Watt you do it. He is everything you want in a player. Elite Talent. Great Locker Room Guy. Awesome in the community. It was a no brainer.
But who was JJ Watt this offseason?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The difference between $10 million and $14 million is hardly trivial.
With 130M in salary, and tens of millions in endorsements, I doubt money was the main factor. Even if it were a factor, it's hard to imagine the Cards paying a huge premium - he wasn't overpaid at 14 per.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
With 130M in salary, and tens of millions in endorsements, I doubt money was the main factor. Even if it were a factor, it's hard to imagine the Cards paying a huge premium - he wasn't overpaid at 14 per.
It’s always the main factor in your last contract

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, ruining your cap for expensive free agent acquisitions is bad management in our position and this scenario. None of those moves would have ruined our cap or come close to it.
Only because you are thinking about it for this season in isolation. Unless we are doing a one year signing it will effect us for multiple years.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Only because you are thinking about it for this season in isolation. Unless we are doing a one year signing it will effect us for multiple years.
And you can creatively frontload contracts. It's done quite often...by other teams. It's more cash up front, though, and Dollar Bill's son doesn't like those kinds of deals.