Lienart may start

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can see Leinart making mistakes yesterday too. I don't think anybody is giving the rams D credit for their ability to force TOs.

With that said....the EZ interception and the Fumble were ridiculous. Time to start Matt....we have no realistic shot at the playoffs anyway. The holes are too big in the secondary....Matt Ware?? What is that thing??

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think that it would be pretty unfair to start Leinart in Atlanta. Throwing him to the wolves this early in the season would be disatrous. Kid stands a good chance of getting seriously injured. Although the line is showing some signs of improvement. He missed most of training camp, and we're only 3 games into the season.

Knee jerk reaction comes to mind. There's been so many players out of position on both sides of the ball under Green, I don't know if I trust Denny to put Matt in a good situation.

Having said that...:bhiich:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
WTF??????? Why is our season over?
Have you seen anything from this team yet that makes you think they might be playoff caliber? Or at least an average team?

Something needs to change, we all know it. DG knows his job is likely riding on this season as does Rod Graves. The players won't stay committed for too much longer to building this thing, how many times have once fiercely loyal and talented players throw in the towel after one final demoralizing season? And Mike Bidwill is smart enough to realize that the locals and many fans will never forgive him and this franchise if they pull another 4-12 after getting him a stadium and filling it up after his family has been playing that card for half a century.

In all honesty, the QB position is a good place to start. The QB is the most important player on any team, we have one of the most decorated QBs in the history of collegiate football waiting int he wings, and our QB play thus far this season has been suspect at best. It's a no brainer.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Have you seen anything from this team yet that makes you think they might be playoff caliber? Or at least an average team?

Something needs to change, we all know it. DG knows his job is likely riding on this season as does Rod Graves. The players won't stay committed for too much longer to building this thing, how many times have once fiercely loyal and talented players throw in the towel after one final demoralizing season? And Mike Bidwill is smart enough to realize that the locals and many fans will never forgive him and this franchise if they pull another 4-12 after getting him a stadium and filling it up after his family has been playing that card for half a century.

You've just listed several reasons why there are internal motivations for the team to improve and play up to expectations. The season is not over......... yet anyway.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting discussion.

I think it is almost time to start Leinart...but not just yet. In reality, I don't want him to play at all but it seems like a foregone conclusion he will start sooner rather than later. I know everyone is enamored with Leinart's past accomplishments and how he looked in preseason (against teams who were not scheming very much, nor are the games played at regular season speed). I would give him his first start at home. The crowd would be on his side, the OL could hear better (I expect the false start monster to rear it's ugly head this coming week), and there would be a more comfortable vibe.

Leinarts seems like a confident guy who could handle playing in ATL buty I simply think it is best for this team to ease him into this the right way and not completely over-react and crap the bed.

Let Kurt have another chance. Very few here have an positive vibe for the rest of the season so another loss, if Kurt craps himself again, is irrelevant. Get Matt a decent number of reps this week (25%?) and then give him everything the week after. Then we start the learning-on-the-job process and get through his growing pains. Then next year, maybe, just maybe, the Cards will be onto something better

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
Edge, Boldin, Fitz, Wilson, even Rolle although he should shut up he's not good enough to be in that club, all those guys know one of their kind when they see it, I think they see it in Matt and so would happily let him lead the team and give him some growing pain slack in the meantime, Warner, he gets no slack and shouldn't.

Maybe Edge and Warner can compare there experiences in taking 2 teams to the Super Bowl, winning 2 MVPs, and having the highest completion rate in the history of the NFL.

What, they can't compare notes? Oh that's right, only one person on the Cardinals has won an MVP (much less two).

EDIT: I just wanted to point out the silliness of saying that Warner should get no slack. We're not talking about Jake Plummer or Josh McCown, after all. Warner HAS a track record of success. I'm not saying that we should stick with him no matter what. But give him one more chance. The SEA game was caused by bad OL play. So, he's really only had one bad game this season. I"d be willing to start Kurt the next two weeks.

Last edited:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Mortensen just reported that Leinart will start

Don't know if its just his speculation because Green being not committed to Warner or if its inside info but its interesting nonetheless

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is Leinart more NFL-ready than Big Ben was in his rookie year? I would think so. Let's see what happens!

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start Lienart and let him just keep handing the ball off to Edge with Shipp/Arrington coming in for a change of pace. For passing, quick slant or sideline passes with a 2 or 3 step drop. If the runs open up the passing, let him try an ocassional deep pass.

This kid is good and he has a lot of moxie. He won't make many mistakes and if we try to get a few yards at a time rather than those down the field passes in the Atlanta game, we could just pull one out.

Keep the Oline the same as the Rams game for continuity.

On defense, assign a bird dog on Vick (Dansby?) and tell him that is his only responsibility. Have Wilson blitz a lot more. If we get burned by long passes, we get burned. You don't get big rewards without taking big chances.

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
I would be for putting in Leinart because his college history shows he knows how to take care of the ball, where Kurt just hasn't shown that in years. Let's face it, turnovers are the reason this team is 1-2, no other reason

College history? That always carries a lot of weight in the NFL. We are 1 and2 and you guys are throwing in the towel already. We could easily be 2 and 1 if not not for a bad snap and late penalty.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all of you saying we shouldn't throw Leinart to the Wolves. What would you say if Warner gets sacked on the 1st play Sunday and breaks his thumb? What should we do then. Send Navarre in?
The cat is out of the bag. Get in Warners face and he will crack. Hit him hard once and bad things seem to start happening. His best years are behind him.
Lienart will actually add a dimension to our offense. He has the ability to role out and away from a pass rush.
Give Warner another chance? The Falcons can bring it. With Warner in there the Falcons will be able to tee off early and often.
The tide has turned. Warner noe becomes the guy that can be used to get us thru a game or two.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Lienart will actually add a dimension to our offense. He has the ability to role out and away from a pass rush.

There are many good reasons to get Leinart started but let's not forget that he's just as prone to injury as anyone else. Remember, he's been hurt already in less than a full games worth of playing time...in the preseason.

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is not the Steelers folks! Enough said Leinart will not enjoy the great Oline and running game the steelers employed to protect him. Shoot he had a miserable SB and still won, he had a GREAT team around him period he did not win the SB they won in spite of him!