Like Rodney Dangerfield... Still no respect. WOW

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
LINCICOME: What's next? Flying pigs?
By Bernie Lincicome, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Published January 18, 2009 at 10:53 p.m.

New rallying cry for the Broncos, for all the NFL, actually: Nine is enough.

Or, if the Arizona Cardinals can do it, any team can.

I suppose, just to make sure, an envoy on ice skates ought to be sent to see if indeed hell has frozen over (my favorite album by the Eagles, not the football team), check overhead to make sure no pigs are flying, look to see which direction the sun is setting and check the calendar to make certain every day this month is not a Sunday.

Explanations are not as necessary as admiration, because never has anyone so unlikely gone so far with so little.

This is not quite like the Cubs making the World Series, not Toronto back in the Stanley Cup Finals, but something like it, the Cardinals a football team that is pictured in the dictionary under the word "downtrodden," but never quite romantic enough in decades of losing to be beloved or agonized over.

There is no Cardinals angst, no curses to curse, no moments of grand regret, none of the stuff that naturally clings to six decades of losing. The Cardinals have been a slow, accumulative annoyance, like moss or mildew.

And now they are the champions of the NFC, a designation easily translated heretofore as Not For Cardinals.

Awaiting in Tampa in two weeks will be the Steelers of Pittsburgh, they with a trophy case already cluttered with sleek, silver footballs named after Vince Lombardi. The last trophy the Cardinals won was named after a sporting goods dealer.

Arizona is the place that built a new stadium so others can use it to play championship games. It is not just strange and unexpected that the Cardinals should get a trophy of their own there, but probably a violation of the lease.

They are vagabond outsiders skipping across America without finding success or devotion, finally finding just enough luck and an antique quarterback with just enough juice left in the jar.

Philadelphia earned more of what keeps its sports teams in that special bag of fan remorse, though nearly as unanticipated as the Cardinals, the Eagles losing another so close to the end adds fresh ache to familiar pain.

The Philly fans might think that having the Phillies in one year was too much to ask of the Eagles, but mostly they will swear at their quarterback for playing down to their expectations or boo their receivers for having fingers too short or officials for not giving them a single break, though they got many.

Try not to think that the Cardinals are a team that won only one more game than the Broncos. They were a team in the solid middle of the NFL, but a team that managed not to fall off the top of its division while the rest were changing coaches and sleeping late.

This is very similar to the way the Broncos tried to do it, except they were the ones who went to bed too soon.

The discussion may begin on whether the Cardinals, with roots to the 19th century, once the Phoenix and St. Louis and Chicago Cardinals - with more place names than a French village - are the worst team to ever make it so far.

Maybe for the Steelers in the Super Bowl, so used to switching names, they ought to just call themselves the Arizona Patsies.

Considering that the Cardinals have clocked their opponents by a total of 33 points in three playoff games, two at home, one on the road, it may be hard to place them behind the Giants of last year, or the '03 Carolina Panthers or the '79 Rams, then of Los Angeles.

My personal dog, a team I knew very well, was the '82 Dolphins, a team so slow it could not catch John Riggins from behind, a team that got to the Super Bowl by leaving the sprinklers on all week in the Orange Bowl to counteract a faster Jets team in the AFC Championship Game, a team quarterbacked by David Woodley. Enough said.

This Cardinals team is worse than any of those.

Since the Super Bowl was created some XLIII years ago, one team had made the Super Bowl with only nine wins, those '79 Rams. No nine-win team has ever won it all, and only two 10-win teams have done it, one of them just last year when the Giants gave the Patriots their only loss.

It will take at least as much of a miracle - maybe two helmet catches instead of one - to beat the Steelers as the Giants did the Pats, but the Cardinals have always been a team with nothing to lose, as nearly every scoreboard will attest.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope we keep seeing articles like this for the next two weeks and every one of them is pasted in the Cards locker room. Our defense will come out of that locker room in Tampa breathing fire and brimstone.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Look - if you want love, you're not going to get it from the media.

As for the hatin - KEEP IT UP! We thrive off of it, and if it helps the Cards, I'm all for it!

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
That was a pretty pathetic article to write, let alone publish for a news agency.

Thunder Dan

Veteran
Reaction score
Here is another one. Not the Pittsburgh media, but just down right cocky.
Steelers beat Ravens, win right to pummel Cardinals in Super Bowl

I’m not a big fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I can’t be. I’m a Patriots fan.

When I think of the Steelers, I still think of Joey Porter’s mouth and that pathetic safety that called out the Patriots’ offense back in 2007 (What was his name again? Randy Moss bit....never mind).

But I am a fan of good football. The 2008 Steelers are a damn good football team.

They have everything you’d want in a Super Bowl champion. They have a great, young quarterback. They have a great, speedy, and powerful running back. They have play-making wide receivers.

And that defense…if you like defense -- and in New England we’ve grown to appreciate good defenses -- you have to like the Steelers.

Man, they can hit. I’ll remember the hit that Ryan Clark put on Willis McGahee for a long time. It was an absolute shot.

McGahee probably won’t remember it. Hell, he’s probably having trouble remembering anything right about now.

This Steelers’ team reminds me of the 2004 Patriots. They can run the ball. They can pass the ball. And their defense is completely impenetrable.

And thank GOD they made it to the Super Bowl.

I like the Ravens. I really do. They’re a great story with a good young quarterback. But like the Cardinals, they’re not a complete football team.

Put it this way -- if the Cardinals and the Ravens both made the Super Bowl, there would be one complete football team between the two of them.

I have nothing against the Cardinals. I'm sure Kurt Warner is a great guy. They're a pretty nice story. The little team nobody thought could do it shocks the world and gets to the Super Bowl.

Whatever.

I’m just not ready for a nine-win team to win a Super Bowl. Which is why I’m glad the Pittsburgh Steelers won yesterday.

Had the Ravens won, the Super Bowl would have been a toss-up. One team can’t score, the other team can’t stop anyone from scoring. The Cardinals legitimately could have pulled off the upset.

But not against the Steelers.

Plan the parade. Map out the route. Have Ben Roethlisberger start practicing the “I’m going to Disney World” thing in the mirror.

The Steelers are going to win the Super Bowl. The Cardinals are going to go the way of the 1994 Chargers, the 2000 Giants, and the 1985 Patriots.

And thank the football gods for that.

Sean Crowe is the New England Patriots Examiner and a Senior Writer / NFL Community Leader at Bleacher Report. You can email him at [email protected]

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
These Dipsticks keep putting their foots in their mouths...

Reaction score
I don't see why you guys even bother with half of these guys. They're elitist snob journalists. Like Coach Tomlin said, if you really need these types of things to get you fired up you might as well not even show up. Trust me the Steelers won't underestimate you.

Spielman

Non-Troll Rams Fan
Reaction score
Since the Super Bowl was created some XLIII years ago, one team had made the Super Bowl with only nine wins, those '79 Rams. No nine-win team has ever won it all, and only two 10-win teams have done it, one of them just last year when the Giants gave the Patriots their only loss.

He's technically wrong about this. The Packers went to and won Super Bowl II with only 9 wins. Of course, that was a 14 game schedule and they also had one tie, but he didn't say "since the NFL went to a 16 game schedule."

Still, doesn't say much about his skills as a journalist.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05