Likelihood that Dbacks Players are gone in 2025

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Posted in another thread but I figured I would make this super easy for the 98.7 writers

For sure gone:

Nobody

Possibly gone:

Walker - Will make a truckload of money

Joc Pederson - 14 million mutual option. The Dbacks will run to sign this. Will Joc?

Josh Bell - probably cheaper than Walker. If Joc opts out I think we resign him. Only Doctor Strange would see an outcome where we keep Bell, Pederson, and Walker

Kevin Newman - They will elevate one of their INF options rather than pay him a million. Still he is cheap which is why he isn't in the for sure gone.

Grichuk - 6 million mutual option. Do the Dbacks pay that for a lefty DH?

Merrill Kelly - Shocking right? Well see Jordan Montgomery. Both Kelly and Gallen are UFA in 2026. Kelly is 35 so you sell while there is value. I doubt Hazen has he stones to do it though.

Alek Thomas - The manager doesn't value the defense. Hazen said Thomas was the most called about player last year but he didn't want to give up on an elite defender on a rookie deal.

Lourdes Gurriel - One of Gurriel and Thomas is gone. There just isn't a spot for both. Gurriel's 13 million is a lot for a 2 WAR player

For Sure Not Gone:

Scott McGough. What imbecile gave this dude a 4 million mutual option? McGough will laugh to the bank while in Reno.

Jordan Montgomery. What imbecile gave this dude a 25 million mutual option?

Eugenio Suarez. What brilliant executive got this guy for a 15 million team option

Gallen: Last year of arbitration. He should be the #1 priority in the off season even if he costs you Walker. if they don't resign him at the winter meetings he moves to likely gone in 2025 (you trade him while you can and get something. Don't get Ohtani'd and lose one of your best players for nothing)

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ranking the feelings they will return on scale of 1-10

Scott McGough. 10 - Sad
Jordan Montgomery. 10 - Sad - Montgomery and McGough will be 1/6th of the team salary. Someone absolutely needs to be fired.
Gallen: 9 - You have to sign the best pitcher since Brandon Webb right?
Eugenio Suarez. 8 - You have to sign the best 3B since Matt Williams right?
Josh Bell - 7 Cheap lefty that can DH or play 1B
Merrill Kelly - 6 Super cheap and 35. Moves to a 10 if Gallen doesn't resign at the Winter Meetings.
Joc Pederson - 6 A 3 WAR DH with a .900 OPS. My only concern is he declines his option
Lourdes Gurriel - 5. Overpaid 2 war righty that is basically unplayable against right handed pitchers. He's Randall Grichuk at twice the cost.
Alek Thomas - 5 The exact opposite of Gurriel. He's an elite defender at CF, which smart teams want. I think either Gurriel or Thomas is gone.
Christian Walker 3 - I feel someone over pays here. He would have to love AZ to stay
Grichuk - 2 Hey its better Lourdes Gurriel for less than half the cost. He should be a 7 but I think the team likes selling purple hair so one has to go.
Kevin Newman - 2. You draft a million INF eventually one has to make the team.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Posted in another thread but I figured I would make this super easy for the 98.7 writers

For sure gone:

Nobody

Possibly gone:

Walker - Will make a truckload of money

Joc Pederson - 14 million mutual option. The Dbacks will run to sign this. Will Joc?

Josh Bell - probably cheaper than Walker. If Joc opts out I think we resign him. Only Doctor Strange would see an outcome where we keep Bell, Pederson, and Walker

Kevin Newman - They will elevate one of their INF options rather than pay him a million. Still he is cheap which is why he isn't in the for sure gone.

Grichuk - 6 million mutual option. Do the Dbacks pay that for a lefty DH?

Merrill Kelly - Shocking right? Well see Jordan Montgomery. Both Kelly and Gallen are UFA in 2026. Kelly is 35 so you sell while there is value. I doubt Hazen has he stones to do it though.

Alek Thomas - The manager doesn't value the defense. Hazen said Thomas was the most called about player last year but he didn't want to give up on an elite defender on a rookie deal.

Lourdes Gurriel - One of Gurriel and Thomas is gone. There just isn't a spot for both. Gurriel's 13 million is a lot for a 2 WAR player

For Sure Not Gone:

Scott McGough. What imbecile gave this dude a 4 million mutual option? McGough will laugh to the bank while in Reno.

Jordan Montgomery. What imbecile gave this dude a 25 million mutual option?

Eugenio Suarez. What brilliant executive got this guy for a 15 million team option

Gallen: Last year of arbitration. He should be the #1 priority in the off season even if he costs you Walker. if they don't resign him at the winter meetings he moves to likely gone in 2025 (you trade him while you can and get something. Don't get Ohtani'd and lose one of your best players for nothing)
The few I have an opinion on:

Grichuk...keep. He's having statistically his best year with limited play. He's a great vet to have around.

Pederson...I think he stays. You can see he's had a lot of fun around the youngsters. It will probably come down to how the season ends and his feelings for the future of the team, though.

Bell...if Walker walks, keep Bell. He'll be cheaper and good enough to play everyday.

Newman...you absolutely keep this guy. They may want to try another youngster, but as I've heard Berthume say, if Blaze could field his position, Newman wouldn't be on the team. He was absolutely invaluable this year and a steal to keep around.