Likely USA Squad Projected

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is from Chris Sheridan of ESPN, but it sounds reasonable.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2951274&name=sheridan_chris

Here is my early pick for what the 12-man roster will look like: Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Kobe Bryant, Tyson Chandler, Kirk Hinrich, Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Jason Kidd, Mike Miller, Amare Stoudemire, Chris Bosh and Michael Redd.

If you exclude the players who missed last weekend's minicamp, that means I'm picking Shane Battier, Kevin Durant, Tayshaun Prince, J.J. Redick and Deron Williams to be cut.

The only selection I question is Kirk Hinrich, over Deron Williams, but with Kidd and Billips in the rotation, it probably would not matter who is the better point guard.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was just looking at that same article. I'm guessing the depth chart is going to look something like this:

PG: Kidd, Billups, Hinrich/Deron Williams
SG: Kobe, Redd
SF: Lebron, Mike Miller
PF: Anthony, Amare
C: Howard, Bosh, Chandler

That should be a pretty good team, although the PG position will always look like the weak spot since Nash can't play for Team USA.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That should be a pretty good team, although the PG position will always look like the weak spot since Nash can't play for Team USA.

From what I have seen, Kidd as done a great job with the USA team. He should play 30 minutes per.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
that team could really use Marion.

I hope he gets to play in the olympics, he and Lebron were the best players in '02.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was just looking at that same article. I'm guessing the depth chart is going to look something like this:

PG: Kidd, Billups, Hinrich/Deron Williams
SG: Kobe, Redd
SF: Lebron, Mike Miller
PF: Anthony, Amare
C: Howard, Bosh, Chandler

The key is that these guys are generally interchangable in positions. Still, I think the rotation will work differently:

First eight rotation:

Kidd, Kobe, LeBron, Howard, Amare, Anthony, Bosh, and Redd (Kobe or LeBron handling the ball when Kidd is out).

buttsR4rebounding

Registered
Reaction score
If that is the squad they will be making the same mistake they always do: choose offense stars, forget the role players. Prince or Battier should be there for defense, if not both. In my opinion, Colangalo's original plan of putting together a team has been thrown out the window. I look for the USA team to suffer the same fate they have in recent years, unfortunately.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
If that is the squad they will be making the same mistake they always do: choose offense stars, forget the role players. Prince or Battier should be there for defense, if not both. In my opinion, Colangalo's original plan of putting together a team has been thrown out the window. I look for the USA team to suffer the same fate they have in recent years, unfortunately.

Problem is defense is different in the international game, with the way they call fouls and such.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if Kidd and Kobe are the starting guards, this team won't lose.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
if Kidd and Kobe are the starting guards, this team won't lose.

I don't see what Kidd's great contribution to that tandem would be. He's only an average half-court point guard, and it's more difficult to run in the international game than in the NBA.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I don't see what Kidd's great contribution to that tandem would be. He's only an average half-court point guard, and it's more difficult to run in the international game than in the NBA.

On the other hand, national teams often don't have time for thorough preparation, so players with unusual skill sets (like Kidd or Marion) have that going for them.

Besides, the U.S. will always run, just as D'Antoni's teams in Italy did.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's right. if the defenses do their homework they'll sag off of him and gear him to shoot. That's probably what they'll do against any US squad anyhow, but it will be an even bigger problem with Kidd's inconsistency from outside.

Joe Mama

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kidd's impact will be more from a leadership standpoint and Bryant just won't let the team lose at the end of close games. that's my thining as far as that tandem.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
In case anyone is paying attention, USA basketball had a white vs. blue scrimmage. Amare started for the Blue team (coached by Mike D'Antoni), along with Kobe, Carmelo, Kirk Heinrich and Deron Williams.

31 minutes
5-9 FG
2-4 FT
12 pts
8 rebounds
3 turnovers
2 personal fouls