Little more info concerning Payton

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
this whole thing, combined with Cards FA is driving me crazy the last couple days - I just want SOMETHING to happen on either end!

And F-Dog - why wouldn't you want Payton here?

I want him here!

I keep thinking back to 92-93 and how small the margin of error was for the Suns to get to the finals. Given the strength of the Western Conference I'd say every little bit helps.

Payton could be that little extra that gets us past SA in a game 7.

Payton's the last chance for the Suns to add a meaningful piece this season. They may be fine without him but I firmly believe that his vet experience would be a + thing.

asudevil83

Reaction score
this was brought up on another message board and it made a little sense. what if boston is pressuring payton to sign with them. by flat out saying "we had an agreement" they could pretty much trying to commit payton to signing....you know because he doesnt want to be the next Boozer. we havent heard A THING from payton. you would have thought that he'd be talking about returning to boston....even while still with the hawks or while waiting to clear waivers.

additionally, i would have expected to hear that payton signed with the Celtics THE SECOND that he cleared waivers. he has, and hasnt signed....that meams to me that he's either debating on the two teams or is actually working out a deal with us.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Rivers: 'It's not done, but it's done'
Associated Press

BOSTON -- Maybe Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish will be walking through the door. After all, every other former Boston Celtic seems to be on his way back.

Gary Payton is on the verge of signing with the team, coach Doc Rivers said Thursday, a week after the nine-time all-star was traded to the Atlanta Hawks. That deal brought former Celtics captain Antoine Walker back to Boston, where he played seven seasons before being shipped out 1½ years ago.

And the architect of all these deals: Danny Ainge, the team's former point guard, who took over as its basketball boss in 2003.

Ainge said Payton is expected to clear waivers on Friday at 10 a.m. He has already agreed to sign with the Celtics, reportedly for close to veteran's minimum salary.

"It's not done," Rivers said, "but it's done."

Former Celtics coach Rick Pitino unleashed one of his most memorable quotes near the end of the 1999-00 season when he lashed out at fans who expected a quick return to the glory days of the 1980s.

"Larry Bird is not walking through that door, fans. Kevin McHale is not walking through that door, and Robert Parish is not walking through that door," Pitino said of the Big Three that won three NBA titles. "And as soon as they realize that those three guys are not coming through that door, the better this town will be for all of us."

But Ainge obviously feels that the key to turning around Boston's longest title drought is a dip into the more recent past.

Payton was traded to Atlanta with Tom Gugliotta, Michael Stewart and a first-round draft pick at the NBA trading deadline. Walker's return to Boston was a bit of a surprise, considering that he lashed out at Ainge after being traded to Dallas nine days before the 2003 opener.

But the Celtics have won three straight since adding Walker's inside presence to the lineup, including a 104-101 victory over the archrival Los Angeles Lakers on Wednesday night. If the Celtics can re-sign Payton, who was waived by the Hawks on Tuesday, the trade looks even better.

"If we get Gary back, basically we went out and got Antoine as a free agent," Rivers said. "It's always nice adding a piece."

Payton originally balked at reporting to Boston when he was traded there by the Lakers last summer. But he has bonded with his teammates and grown comfortable with the team, even though he might have had a better chance to win elsewhere or play closer to his California home.

"He's happy about coming back," said Paul Pierce. "We'd welcome him back with open arms."

The 36-year-old Payton averaged 12.1 points and 6.1 assists for the Celtics while serving as a mentor to the team's younger guards. Rivers said Payton could be in uniform as soon as Friday night but he probably won't play against Charlotte.

That would put him back in the lineup for Sunday night's game against Minnesota. The Timberwolves are coached by McHale.

--------------------

Doc Rivers' quote: :rolleyes:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
"If we get Gary back, basically we went out and got Antoine as a free agent," Rivers said.

That is some major disrespect to Tom Gugliotta. Tragic. I think I will go cry for several minutes.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:
"If we get Gary back, basically we went out and got Antoine as a free agent," Rivers said.

That is some major disrespect to Tom Gugliotta. Tragic. I think I will go cry for several minutes.

I'm shocked that Tom is still in the NBA. He hasn't really done much this century.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Gary Payton back with Celtics

Associated Press
Mar. 4, 2005 10:27 AM

BOSTON - Gary Payton returned to the Celtics on Friday, one week after Boston sent him to Atlanta in a trade for Antoine Walker.

Payton re-signed with Boston after the Hawks waived him and was on the court at the Celtics' practice facility in Waltham on Friday morning, team spokesman Jeff Twiss said.

Payton was traded to Atlanta with Tom Gugliotta, Michael Stewart and a first-round pick at the NBA trading deadline.

The deal brought Walker back to Boston, where he played seven seasons before being shipped out 1 1/2 years ago. But it also left the Celtics without an experienced point guard.

Coach Doc Rivers has said Payton isn't likely to play until Sunday's game with Minnesota.

Payton's return to Boston was a markedly different scene from when he was initially dealt from the Los Angeles Lakers during the offseason. Then, there were questions about whether he would report because Boston was so far from his West Coast home.

But Payton has proven to be a good addition, averaging 12.1 points and 6.1 assists, bonding with teammates and providing valuable leadership for the team's young guards.