Livingston

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/basket.../2008/06/09/this_wolve_joins_the_pack/?page=2

It's not always best to take need over talent in the NBA draft, but with long-term concerns over injured guard Shaun Livingston, it would be a shock if the Clippers didn't take a guard with the seventh pick. Livingston destroyed his left knee after landing awkwardly following a missed layup against Charlotte in February 2007, tearing the anterior cruciate ligament, the posterior cruciate ligament, and the lateral meniscus. The fourth overall pick in 2004 missed last season and it's uncertain when he will play again. An NBA source said the Clippers aren't expected to make Livingston a qualifying offer (the lowest starts at $5.8 million), making him an unrestricted free agent July 1. But with major knee concerns, it's uncertain the Clippers, or any team, will be rushing to sign him. According to the source, Livingston can't work out back-to-back days and needs about 90 minutes of therapy before doing noncontact basketball drills. There is speculation he might not be able to play at the NBA level again. What made Livingston special: he is a point guard with Magic Johnson-like height, at 6 feet 7 inches. But if he returns without his spectacular quickness, he could move to the small forward position.

I'd be interested in having the Suns' training staff look at him. Wither their reputation, I'd think he'd be interested for the minimum and the long range chance of replacing Nash some day.

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
I would love to get Livingston here. He was very impressive against us in the playoffs. Killer court-vision that only few people in the league has.

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
BTW, there is no way Livingston will play SF. He is probably couple pounds heavier than Nash. Not a defensive presence to guard other 3s.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/basket.../2008/06/09/this_wolve_joins_the_pack/?page=2

I'd be interested in having the Suns' training staff look at him. Wither their reputation, I'd think he'd be interested for the minimum and the long range chance of replacing Nash some day.

I really thought Shaun Livingston had a bright future as a PG. Very long and athletic. He could occupy a roster spot like #13-15 with the Suns and hopefully develop. I'd be willing to gamble on him for the veteran minimum.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
I wouldn't sign him. I mean, the guy had a terrible injury. He might not have that same quickness, and the risk of another injury is too much in my opinion to chance money we so desperately need. Even if he were to switch to the 3, its not worth investing all that time into teaching and helping a guy switch positions just so he might play.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't sign him. I mean, the guy had a terrible injury. He might not have that same quickness, and the risk of another injury is too much in my opinion to chance money we so desperately need. Even if he were to switch to the 3, its not worth investing all that time into teaching and helping a guy switch positions just so he might play.

We are talking about signing an unrestricted free agent for a minimum contract. Yes, it is a longshot that he'd come back in full force, but no bigger than Amare coming back from microfracture.

The Suns will need to have somebody at their 13th man anyway, so it isn't like it is even extra money.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Hey while we are playing this game, anyone think the medical staff can bring Bison Dele back from the dead? It's a long shot but they did fix Amare.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
We are talking about signing an unrestricted free agent for a minimum contract. Yes, it is a longshot that he'd come back in full force, but no bigger than Amare coming back from microfracture.

The Suns will need to have somebody at their 13th man anyway, so it isn't like it is even extra money.

Depending on if we bring anybody back, and I think we should sign our 2nd round pick. But I mean, just taking a risk like that on a team that will spend a ton of time in the training room, I don't know. I just think taking a gamble like that really doesn't make any sense. Sure you can compare to Amare, but that procedure has been done before. And he had just signed a contract. This is different. We owe nothing to Livingston as of now, so knowing how horrific his injury was and the fact that this guy has missed the past season and a half, there's a reason why he's not playing.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I always thought he was overrated while he was healthy. I'm not a Livingston fan, and I wouldn't want him or his knee issues here.

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
I would seriously take a gamble on Livingston than signing Houston or Pike.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Livingston might be another Dajuan Wagner.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Obviously none of this is worth bothering with if the trainging staff thinks he's not going to recover some reasonable percentage of his athleticism. As it was, he was draft #4 more on his potential coming out of HS, so I'm not surprised he did not look like an estabished pro.

I don't know if he's going to take a roster slot from a better player. Seems unlikely, but free agency is still a month away. In any case, he's got a lot more upside than one dimensional senior citizens like Pike and Houston - neither of whm play poing guard.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if he's going to take a roster slot from a better player. Seems unlikely, but free agency is still a month away. In any case, he's got a lot more upside than one dimensional senior citizens like Pike and Houston - neither of whm play poing guard.

Exactly. If the medical staff feels he has a chance, the Suns should look at him. I really think a bigger gamble is when the Suns do not take chances and keep players like Pike, Marks and maybe Houston on their roster.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I get flashbacks of his injury every time i hear his name. Sends shivers down my whole body.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hey while we are playing this game, anyone think the medical staff can bring Bison Dele back from the dead? It's a long shot but they did fix Amare.

Funniest thing I've read in a while. A comment about scouting the wheelchair league may have been better yet (callous joke, I know). The medical staff cannot cure a player that has every ligament in their knee torn.

Livingston wasn't even particularly good before the injury. He is like a poor man's Penny and he's mirroring his injury history as well.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Funniest thing I've read in a while. A comment about scouting the wheelchair league may have been better yet (callous joke, I know). The medical staff cannot cure a player that has every ligament in their knee torn.

Livingston wasn't even particularly good before the injury. He is like a poor man's Penny and he's mirroring his injury history as well.

If your the Suns you can't also take Houston, Livingston and every other gimp in the NBA in the hope they can be cured by the over rated Suns medical staff, yes over rated, don't get me wrong they did some great things, but Suns have always pimped their medical staff, A LOT of their rep is good marketing on the Suns part, hell they have a Fing med guy in the ring of honor so take the miracle staff FWIW. Other teams have players and we have the ankle taper, lmao!

I can see 1 gimp, but anymore would be stupid considering all the gimps we currently have on the brink, I don't really think any franchise would be successsful with that strategy over the long run, it will backfire.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If your the Suns you can't also take Houston, Livingston and every other gimp in the NBA in the hope they can be cured by the over rated Suns medical staff, yes over rated, don't get me wrong they did some great things, but Suns have always pimped their medical staff, A LOT of their rep is good marketing on the Suns part, hell they have a Fing med guy in the ring of honor so take the miracle staff FWIW. Other teams have players and we have the ankle taper, lmao!

I can see 1 gimp, but anymore would be stupid considering all the gimps we currently have on the brink, I don't really think any franchise would be successsful with that strategy over the long run, it will backfire.
I'm glad we've got the best medical staff in the league as well but we sure could use a better cut man in the corner.
You must be registered for see images attach

Drop D

Striving for the Penultimate
Reaction score

Actually, I would say a lot bigger. A small microfracture on a non-weight bearing part of the knee versus completely blowing your knee out while you rely and quickness to compensate for your slight build.

I'm not saying that he can't come back and contribute like the other Livingston to come back from serious knee problems,...Randy. Oh wait. Scratch that. (the longtime Suns fans will groan) :D

I just think that it was a bad example. Amare has strength and height which allowed him to contribute while he got his athleticism back. Shaun has height.

I guess it depends on what other borderline players you are looking at.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
If his injury is as bad as some say, then the issue is moot.

damo

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying that he can't come back and contribute like the other Livingston to come back from serious knee problems,...Randy. Oh wait. Scratch that. (the longtime Suns fans will groan)

Did he have knee problems? I thought he just caused them.
As for Shaun Livingston, he'll never be the same, that injury was just horrrrrrrible. I couldn't handle watching him on the suns. Every time he'd stop running I'd have to look away just in case it happens again.

:barf: