Locker room has become second home for Fitzgerald

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
By Darren Urban, Tribune
June 14, 2005

Long after his teammates had left for the day, "Late Night" would stay at the Arizona Cardinals’ training complex. Larry Fitzgerald had no pressing reason to head home to a near-empty house. He could only watch so many DVDs, play so many video games.

With little to do, the 21-year-old rookie receiver found it impossible not to bring work home with him, mulling why he wasn’t playing better.

So he reverted to a comfort zone. The after-hours NFL locker room, a familiar area from his days as a Minnesota Vikings ballboy, was a refuge. Sometimes, while hanging out with the Cardinals’ equipment staff, Fitzgerald would trade goodnatured insults. Sometimes, the third pick in the 2004 NFL draft would help fold towels.

"We joke about it, that he’s the most expensive equipment man in the league," assistant equipment manager Chris Collins said.

It was the equipment guys who hung the "Late Night" nickname on Fitzgerald — a name, and lifestyle, that Fitzgerald has no plans to retire.

But Fitzgerald, a selfdescribed homebody, has made an effort to embrace more of the NFL life and mesh more in the locker room.

"I think he has finally realized it is OK to relax and let his hair down, if you will," defensive end Bertrand Berry said. "I think he is starting to embrace who he is and what his teammates mean to him."

FITTING IN

A week ago Monday, Fitzgerald invited a bunch of teammates to his house to watch Game 7 of the NBA Eastern Conference finals between Detroit and Miami, a move that had been out of the ordinary for him.

Fellow receiver Anquan Boldin took the opportunity to rip Fitzgerald for his lack of furniture, especially since Fitzgerald has been in the house since the beginning of last season.

"He’s got too much money not to have no furniture," Boldin said, laughing.

Fitzgerald smiles at the thought, admitting he is picky about furniture — he wants it to be nice, but not too expensive. The man with more than $16 million in the bank still takes food home from the facility every chance he gets.

"They all call me the cheapest dude in here," Fitzgerald said.

He has clearly become more comfortable around his teammates. A year in the league helps, as does the influx of players he knew in Minnesota as a ballboy, like safety Robert Griffith, cornerback Robert Tate and fullback Harold Morrow.

Fitzgerald has gone riding all-terrain four-wheelers with tackle Leonard Davis. And he appeared on the ESPN show "Teammates" with Berry.

Fitzgerald seemed like an odd choice for the game show styled around teammates knowing personal things about the other. But Berry and Fitzgerald talked some beforehand, and the two fared well.

"He is a very bright young man, he’s got a good personality, and a lot of people might not know but he is very funny," Berry said. "I learned some things about him, he learned some things about me."

Having spent so much time then it’s a problem. . . . It might be awkward at times, but he had a great (collegiate) year, damn near won the Heisman. (Having him) is justified."

Green emphasized Fitzgerald is a Cardinal because he saw the wideout as the best player coming out of college, not because he had known him for years.

Fitzgerald is around an NFL team growing up, Fitzgerald understands the dynamics of the locker room — one of the reasons he acted the way he did as a rookie. "Being a first-round (pick), your teammates, they have preconceived notions of you when you come in there," Fitzgerald said. "I couldn’t imagine being a veteran guy playing seven years and you make ‘X’ amount of dollars and this young guy comes in, hasn’t caught a pass, hasn’t proven himself, and he makes the kind of money he makes.

"I just didn’t want anyone to think anything was handed to me. That’s why I work the way I work."

LIVING DOWN HISTORY

There was a subtext to Fitzgerald’s rookie existence, one impossible to avoid. He was close with coach Dennis Green, who once did a radio show with Larry Fitzgerald Sr. and who saw Fitzgerald grow up around the Vikings.

The relationship didn’t go unnoticed in the locker room.

"You can’t say he’s not Denny’s kid," Griffith said. "He’s one of Denny’s guys. But I am one of Denny’s guys.

"If you can play, it’s all right. Now, if you are a marginal player and you’re just around, confident the questions will slowly disappear over time.

"Everyone knows I know coach Green, but I just wanted to prove to them — and I think I already started to do it — that it wasn’t a charity pick," Fitzgerald said. "He didn’t bring me here because he liked me. He brought me here because I was a talented player. The longer I am here, (people) will really figure that out."

Green isn’t Fitzgerald’s only coaching contact. Defensive backs coach Richard Solomon, tight ends coach Carl Hargrave and strength coach Steve Wetzel, all of whom worked for Green in Minnesota, know Fitzgerald well.

Hargrave, one of Fitzgerald’s confidants, said there was no way for Fitzgerald to understand the NFL life from a ballboy’s perspective. Fitzgerald, who doesn’t turn 22 until Aug. 31, understands that now.

Not surprisingly, any difficulties he had were tied to performance on the field. He won’t talk much of any on-field problems he might have had, only to say that he was disappointed in a decent rookie year of 58 catches for 780 yards and eight touchdowns.

Quarterback Josh McCown said he has already noticed a difference in Fitzgerald’s improved attention to detail running routes.

"I told him, ‘Man, they paid you a lot of money, and they expect you to be on the field and play at a high level,’ " McCown said. "He understands that.

"Some of the stuff he can do off his natural ability can still get him by in the NFL, but (working on other things), it’s like his personality, it may not be natural for him, but it’s probably the best thing for him."

So some things Fitzgerald will change. But not everything.

"Late Night" Larry will still show his respect for the equipment guys and help out when he can after all the other players have left. Even if his game gets better, there’s a good chance he’ll fold a towel some time this season.

"I wake up every morning, come here to work and it hits me, I am playing football for a living," Fitzgerald said. "I am living a dream."

EXTRA POINT: Running back Troy Hambrick remains absent from organized team workouts.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=42988

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
An excellent interesting article. Can't wait to see Fitz and Boldin in action this season.
However, Troy Hambrick is going to be in the doghouse. I really wonder what is up with him.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I love Fitz' attitude. Many believed drafting him was a mistake, BUT since the alternatives were Winslow and Taylor, we should thank G&G every day for taking Fitz.

Fitz did okay last year, but didn't quite live up to the expectations. With the extra hours of film study etc. could you imagine Fitz becoming the pro-bowler everyone expected him to be AND then teaming him with Boldin... That's scary!!

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Commonly, wide receivers really improve from year one to year two in the NFL. Add to that the fact that Fitz really only had two years at the collegiate level, and that he has the super-accurate Kurt Warner throwing to him, and hopefully a healthy Anquan Boldin from week one, and I expect big things from him this season.

IF Warner, Fitz, and Boldin can all stay healthy, and IF the O-line does its job, and IF J.J. Arrington and Marcel Shipp produce, "we" could be a top ten offense by year-end. That's a lot of ifs, but excepting for RB, there should be dramatic improvement at every position, and that includes Tight End.

Really staying healthy is the key this season IMO. There just isn't much quality depth on offense, excepting fullback.

Now let me take another sip of the :koolaid:

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
az jam said:
However, Troy Hambrick is going to be in the doghouse. I really wonder what is up with him.

Good point, I think he IS in the doghouse, and he's giving Croom, Scobey, and Anderson an chance to make the team.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I wouldn't call 8Tds and almost 800yrds descent, that's actually pretty good for a rookie, especially seeing that Josh McCown was his QB. I think his numbers will be close to 900+ yrds and 10TDs this year, with Boldin gaining over 1100+ with around 5-6 TDs.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great article. Best local article on the Cards in quite a while. Loved to read how this kid has his head firmly on his shoulders. The way he penny pinches reminds me of Tillman.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
Good point, I think he IS in the doghouse, and he's giving Croom, Scobey, and Anderson an chance to make the team.

Yeah, until we hear different, it looks like he is in trouble with Green. Green hasn't ripped him yet, but he's not supposed to over voluntary workouts.

seesred

Reaction score
I had the chance to meet Larry just before camp last year. Not only is he a very strong man, he is a good guy as well. Fitz and Q can be one of the best all time if we can keep them together. I must say that Johnson is no slouch and adds the 1,2,3 punch to a very talented group. Great article, right on the money. Thanks to the writer.

GBR

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a lonely kid to me. Maybe we can get CQ or MM to find a nice gal for him.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Sounds like a lonely kid to me. Maybe we can get CQ or MM to find a nice gal for him.

I don't think a man with 16 million dollars in the bank will have any trouble finding a "gal" 40! He needs to get out a lil more though. :D

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Cool Article. Cant wait to see how the extra work pays off for "Late Night". I thought he had a good rookie year last year. Boldin just set the expectations a little high for him.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
phillycard said:
He needs to get out a lil more though. :D

no no no no. Larry is doing the right thing. You never know, David Boston wasnt a nut job till he started "going out more often" lol

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Fitz seems like one of those players that wants to be the best, season in and season out. Warner will help him do that. I say 1000+ yards and 10+ TDs are easily within his reach if Warner stays healthy all 16 games. With his talent and a stable QB situation, he should be able to do that every year and vacation in Hawaii afterwards too.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40yearfan said:

okay, gosh stop twisting my arm! i'll be the "nice gal"

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
okay, gosh stop twisting my arm! i'll be the "nice gal"
Yes, but will you be the "nice girl" in the summer dress who...never mind.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
lets not forget, Fitz had a bad ankle for much of the year that kept him back

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
1000 yards and 10+ td's if Warner stay healthy????

Why just if Warner is healthy. McCown is going to surprise people this year.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
How will McCown do that holding a clipboard? The only way McCown gets on the field is if Warner gets hurt.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Glad to hear he's focusing on his routes

I wrote up last year at training camp that Fitz seemed somewhat laid back when it came to his route running. In one particular practice he got ripped for making no effort in executing a fake to one direction and switching to another. It appeared as if he assumed he'd be fine when it came to executing the route in the game.

Sounds like he know realizes how important executing every aspect of practice, including the minutia of one particular route, predicates his potential performance.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Toro said:
1000 yards and 10+ td's if Warner stay healthy????

Why just if Warner is healthy. McCown is going to surprise people this year.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if he sniffed the field. But you never know...Warner may get hurt and then we'd have McCown come in to generate his incredible mediocraty all over again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan