Long Range Impact of Tonight's Game

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, I agree there -- what the hell good is a bench if you think they stink so badly you are afraid to ever use them? I would say that the failure to even try to develop part of the bench during the regular season is Coach D's biggest flaw. I hark back to Bob Brenley -- terrible as he was about many things, he did make sure all season long that his bench was fully part of the team chemistry and were comfortable playing, and it was a huge factor in the WS.
...but on the other hand, I can't imagine why guys like Pat Burke, or Paul Shirley last year, etc. are even in pro basketball. Get Casey back here. At least D'Antoni liked him.

D'Antoni is afraid to use them, because he feels that they are terrble and unreliable. Not that I blame him much.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D'Antoni is afraid to use them, because he feels that they are terrble and unreliable. Not that I blame him much.

I blame much of that on D'Antoni. He doesn't stick with the guys long enough to let them play through bad stretches. Case and point Jalen. He played well in 4 of the 5 games he got significant minutes. His 5th and final game he didn't play all that well and boom...back to the bench.

D'Antoni is to blame for the poor bench management and play as much as anybody. I am not convinced at all that even if we had better bench guys that he would use them.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I blame much of that on D'Antoni. He doesn't stick with the guys long enough to let them play through bad stretches. Case and point Jalen. He played well in 4 of the 5 games he got significant minutes. His 5th and final game he didn't play all that well and boom...back to the bench.

D'Antoni is to blame for the poor bench management and play as much as anybody. I am not convinced at all that even if we had better bench guys that he would use them.

Jalen is a special case, and probably the only other player that you could justify giving PT to. I don't know that I would want to throw someone in a playoff game who hasn't performed during the regular season.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jalen is a special case, and probably the only other player that you could justify giving PT to. I don't know that I would want to throw someone in a playoff game who hasn't performed during the regular season.

I totally agree. My point is that Mike's use of the bench and his lack of patience during the regular season with the bench is the part where D'Antoni screwed up this season. You can't depend on those guys to all of the sudden show up in the post season.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mike does lack patience (mostly), but frankly guys like Banks and Jumaine Jones had their chances. Besides, Mike sees these guys in practice, which is probably more important than what we've seen.