Longlegs

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
They are trying really hard to bill this as the next SotL .. but so far I just don't see it.
Setting public expectations so high is a marketing error imo. Might help with opening weekend...but if audience reviews don't back up the hype it's gonna tank after 3 or 4 days.

The next SotL is a moniker they should have let fans tag it with after it hit theaters.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Longlegs

Release date: July 12, 2024
Studio: Neon
Director: Oz Perkins
Screenwriter: Oz Perkins
MPAA Rating: R for bloody violence, disturbing images and some language
Genre: Crime | Horror | Thriller

Starring: Maika Monroe, Nicolas Cage, Blair Underwood, Alicia Witt, Michelle Choi-Lee, Dakota Daulby, Lauren Acala

Plot Summary: In pursuit of a serial killer, an FBI agent uncovers a series of occult clues that she must solve to end his terrifying killing spree.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Man… this movie’s getting a lot of hype. Gonna see it next weekend.
I saw it.

I didn't think it was "scary". I thought it would as extremely unsettling. Cinematography definitely added to the move, and I would not have been able to tell it was Cage without being told.

Definitely worth seeing. This is more art house horror, which I definitely really like.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They are trying really hard to bill this as the next SotL .. but so far I just don't see it.
Setting public expectations so high is a marketing error imo. Might help with opening weekend...but if audience reviews don't back up the hype it's gonna tank after 3 or 4 days.

The next SotL is a moniker they should have let fans tag it with after it hit theaters.
Eh the formula was similar and the movie was about serial killings, but it was a lot different.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Eh the formula was similar and the movie was about serial killings, but it was a lot different.
And how does it rate?
Is it an instant classic? Looking at multiple Oscar nominations? Does it have iconic scenes and characters?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
And how does it rate?
I liked it. The Rotten Tomatoes rating pretty much speaks for itself. I think I was more impressed with the overall mood created
Is it an instant classic? Looking at multiple Oscar nominations? Does it have iconic scenes and characters?
Compared to Silence of the Lambs, I'd say maybe not. Silence of the Lambs was an iconic thrille film, whereas Long legs had more roots in horror. That alone will make it unlikely to be nominated for awards.

I'd say 20 years from now it will still be talked about in horror circles.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I liked it. The Rotten Tomatoes rating pretty much speaks for itself. I think I was more impressed with the overall mood created

Compared to Silence of the Lambs, I'd say maybe not. Silence of the Lambs was an iconic thrille film, whereas Long legs had more roots in horror. That alone will make it unlikely to be nominated for awards.

I'd say 20 years from now it will still be talked about in horror circles.
Okay, well that's a solid review then.

Horror movies sneak up on you... 13 Ghosts is one of the better ones but you never would have thought so by the cast and previews.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Just saw it a little bit ago. It's definitely slow burn... like beyond slow burn. Your mileage may vary depending on how much patience you have for that type of horror. I'm good with that in general, but I would also say it occasionally crawled a bit even for my tastes.

All of that being said, I did like it overall. The ending redeemed it a lot for me. Definitely not scary, and pretty predictable if you are a horror film fan. But for sure worth seeing, and if you collect horror films (as I do), worthy of purchasing on DVD.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Just saw it a little bit ago. It's definitely slow burn... like beyond slow burn. Your mileage may vary depending on how much patience you have for that type of horror. I'm good with that in general, but I would also say it occasionally crawled a bit even for my tastes.

All of that being said, I did like it overall. The ending redeemed it a lot for me. Definitely not scary, and pretty predictable if you are a horror film fan. But for sure worth seeing, and if you collect horror films (as I do), worthy of purchasing on DVD.
I think the film medium made my expectations.

Yes there is a lot of hype, but it was good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Thought it was solid, with a classic Cage performance, an okay twist but a pretty predictable ending that I saw coming from a mile away.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
On second viewing this movie doesn’t hold up AT ALL. The main character literally never figures anything out for herself and it’s slower than sin (pun intended), with a predictable ending.

Cage is unhinged in it, and it’s got some atmospheric vibe going for it, but that is all. Very bewildered that it’s doing as well as it is.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SRPPHX