Lutui will see first team reps

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cardinals | Lutui will see first-team reps
Wed, 24 May 2006 06:07:56 -0700

Darren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports Arizona Cardinals rookie OG Taitusi Lutui will work as a starting guard as long as OG Reggie Wells (ankle) is still rehabilitating his injured ankle.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds good to me, once you get on the first team, you'd better play like it!

seesred

Reaction score
What are the days of the next mini camp? Anyone know. He can't practice with the first team tuill the first team comes to practice.

GBR

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
seesred said:
What are the days of the next mini camp? Anyone know. He can't practice with the first team tuill the first team comes to practice.

GBR

He was practicing with the first team during the first OTA's a week before the rookie camp started. Watched him working with the first unit on the fan day.

Anyways the next OTA is May 31st I believe.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
az jam said:
Cardinals | Lutui will see first-team reps
Wed, 24 May 2006 06:07:56 -0700

Darren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports Arizona Cardinals rookie OG Taitusi Lutui will work as a starting guard as long as OG Reggie Wells (ankle) is still not a very good player.

That's how I read it anyway :D

Codeofhammurabi

Cards Fan Since 1971
Reaction score
The O-line is definately a place where a solid rookie could step in and improve the situation.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
There is his chance to keep hold on this position even after Wells is ready to play.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
az1965 said:
There is his chance to keep hold on this position even after Wells is ready to play.

I'm so glad we resigned Wells

:sarcasm:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Codeofhammurabi said:
The O-line is definately a place where a solid rookie could step in and improve the situation.

I agree, this kid can contribute from the get go. They can start to have a dominating left side with him and Big - Yr. 1 together IMO.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I'm so glad we resigned Wells

:sarcasm:
Wells was not that great. If Lutui can show in the camp that he can hold that position, Wells can be used as a center and a backup G. Hell, I'd like to try him at RT. Cut Ross.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
az1965 said:
Wells was not that great. If Lutui can show in the camp that he can hold that position, Wells can be used as a center and a backup G. Hell, I'd like to try him at RT. Cut Ross.
I like the RT idea. If Ross plays well(crossing fingers) then I could see Wells at center. Although I liked N. Lecky last year.

As long as Step stays off the field this line will be improved.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Lutui should see some 1st team reps. He's a second round draft pick. Most 2nd round picks should become starters fairly soon. Look at the last few: Boldin, Dansby, and Arrington. All saw lots of time their first year.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
Lutui should see some 1st team reps. He's a second round draft pick. Most 2nd round picks should become starters fairly soon. Look at the last few: Boldin, Dansby, and Arrington. All saw lots of time their first year.

Much better than LeVar Fisher,Michael Stone, Ray Thompson and Johnny Rutledge. Guys who saw too much playing time.

Makes you wonder just what was going on in the scouting dept. before Denny arrived.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
BEERZ said:
I like the RT idea. If Ross plays well(crossing fingers) then I could see Wells at center. Although I liked N. Lecky last year.

As long as Step stays off the field this line will be improved.
Lutui doesn't have the feet to play RT in the NFL IMO.

I could, however, see Elton Brown at RT. Elton was regarded as one of the best pass-protecting Gs coming out of college in years.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
That's not a totally crazy thought BACH. I could see that happening...

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1st team

I see, in the East Valley Trib, that Step is working with the 1st team. Does anyone have news on who, considering those sitting out, are working with the 1st unit?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Duck - My take on the difference in drafting philosophies (at least after the first round) is that:

Under Coach Mac, the Cards would target certain players they liked (usually to fill some specific position need) and then would draft them a round earlier than they had to "just to make sure they got them." Result: Poor value at each level.

Under Dennis, we'd sit tight and wait for the inevitable quality players to fall thru the cracks and then pick the best one available regardless of position. Result: Terrific value at each level.

Do this for 2 or 3 years and the talent-level of the entire roster figures to be upgraded.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Duck - My take on the difference in drafting philosophies (at least after the first round) is that:

Under Coach Mac, the Cards would target certain players they liked (usually to fill some specific position need) and then would draft them a round earlier than they had to "just to make sure they got them." Result: Poor value at each level.

Under Dennis, we'd sit tight and wait for the inevitable quality players to fall thru the cracks and then pick the best one available regardless of position. Result: Terrific value at each level.

Do this for 2 or 3 years and the talent-level of the entire roster figures to be upgraded.
Agree.

The scouting department was actually pretty in the last couple of years under Mac (since Keim was hired). If you ignore Pace being drafted a round too early (because of need), the draft was very good. 2nd - Boldin, 3rd - Hayes, 5th - King, 6th - Wells

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
BACH said:
Agree.

The scouting department was actually pretty good in the last couple of years under Mac (since Keim was hired). If you ignore Pace being drafted a round too early (because of need), the draft was very good. 2nd - Boldin, 3rd - Hayes, 5th - King, 6th - Wells

Only the 2003 draft was decent because of Boldin. Hayes and King need to get on the field during the regular season. The Cards just switched their first and second round WR selections that year by mistake.:mrgreen:

The 2002 draft was probably the worst since moving to Arizona. I don't think anybody from that draft will be a starter in the NFL this year unless McCown wins the Detroit job. 4 of the top 5 selections were total washouts.

Tobin's drafts weren't much better although they did get talented players in the first round at least. Rice,Wadsworth,Boston and TJones.

It is like the Cards had no scouting department at all for years and just based their selections on who the football press was touting as first round talent and, like Jeff posted, reached for need in the later rounds.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser