MadCard's Cardinal Off-season Projection

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I blieve that LT got a 21 million dollar signing bonus. But like Joe said, the bonus could be spread out over 6 years back then. Where as teams this year can only spread out their signing bonuses over 4 years.

I think a $15 million bonus is the best Alexander will get this year. He just hit the market at the wrong time.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
You are correct. I mean Manning himself had the base salary his first year of his giant contract. Only 665K this year and only 1 Mill. the next 2 years. It takes 4 years into his new deal for his base salary to jump to 11.5 mill.

It is kind of crazy that Obefemi had the same base salary as LT last year.

:shrug:

spanky1

Reaction score
Re: Tye Hill

There is a huge difference between Hill at a bona fide #10 versus,"I've seen him projected in the 10-15 range" (the highest I've seen him on any respectable draft chart is #15 at The Sporting News). NFLDraftBlitz has him at #16; GBN Reports has him at #37; ESPN/Scout's (Todd McShay) have him at #21 and Kiper has him at #20.......I could add to this list if necessary.

More importantly is the concept of drafting a CB with our 1st pick (I have always considered Jimmy Williams as a FS, so IMO, he doesn't count). If we were desperate for a CB like we were last year, then things would be different. But I don't believe that Hill adds INCREMENTAL value over and above Eric Green/ David Macklin to use our 1st rounder on him. Remember we also have potential in LaMont Reid as a nickle......and if Green et al felt that we were in dire shape at the CB position, there are potentials in FA (Clement, being the obvious one).

That is why I have to question him on being #1 on your radar screen.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Re: Tye Hill

There is a huge difference between Hill at a bona fide #10 versus,"I've seen him projected in the 10-15 range" (the highest I've seen him on any respectable draft chart is #15 at The Sporting News). NFLDraftBlitz has him at #16; GBN Reports has him at #37; ESPN/Scout's (Todd McShay) have him at #21 and Kiper has him at #20.......I could add to this list if necessary.

More importantly is the concept of drafting a CB with our 1st pick (I have always considered Jimmy Williams as a FS, so IMO, he doesn't count). If we were desperate for a CB like we were last year, then things would be different. But I don't believe that Hill adds INCREMENTAL value over and above Eric Green/ David Macklin to use our 1st rounder on him. Remember we also have potential in LaMont Reid as a nickle......and if Green et al felt that we were in dire shape at the CB position, there are potentials in FA (Clement, being the obvious one).

That is why I have to question him on being #1 on your radar screen.

I agree it's not a major need but my thinking was this:

#1 He will not be just a CB but also will return punts. We've lacked a quality punt returner for years.

#2 You can never have too many good CBs. That and FA CBs will cost you a fortune.

I do believe that Hill is worthy of a top 15 pick and I think you will see him on a lot of draft boards here in the future.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
Elton Brown was projected to go late in the first round and we picked him up in the 4th. It's not out of the realm of possibility. Most teams do not historically draft guards that high unless they are really special.

Brown fell because he left the Combine halfway through and a lot of teams took him off their board altogether because they weren't sure that he wanted to play football. That's a little different than there just being a lot of OL in the draft.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
en fuego said:
Alexander will have a cap figure far larger than $5.5mm

I dont think Latui lasts until the fourth

no way after the Senior Bowl does Byrd last until the sixth

I agree on all statements

Alexander will command 7 million after this season (he wanted a 20 mil signing bonus in Seattle).

Latui will be long gone in the 4th.

Byrd will be gone just as fast as Latui. Kiper said he ranked Byrd the 3rd TE after the Senior bowl.

As for Tye Hill at 10, why not just draft Huff or Williams to play FS at 10 instead of another Corner?

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
As long as Mac isn't in charge then i don't think we have to worry about Tye Hill being drafted at 10.If the Cards take a DB it will be Williams or Huff. There's no way Green has Hill rated as the BPA at 10. Now ,if we drafted 20th then maybe.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
1) Kurt Warner QB - No brainer. Need to get this done before FA period starts so we can concentrate on other free agents. Sign for $4.5million per yer.

2) LeCharles Bently C - One of the best young centers in the league and he won't come cheap. The Cards will have to convince him to come and play here and that will take some cold hard cash. sign for $4 million per year

3) Terrance Metcalf G - A solid guard that won't break the bank. Should help improve a pathetic ground game. Hell if he can make Thomas Jones look good he must be a stud! Sign for $3 million per year

4) Ma'ake Kemoeatu DT - A solid presense in the middle. Should help improve our pathetic attempt at stopping the run. Sign for $3.5 million per year

I'd be absolutely estatic if all of these moves happened. IMHO 7 million per year for Metcalf and Bentley may be a bit steep to some, but you can not put a price tag on the improvements these gentlemen, along with an improving Elton Brown and Leonard Davis would bring to this team as a whole offensively. I do like Metcalf and think that'd be one of those unhearlded free agent signings that will make someone in the FO look brilliant later on.

5) Shaun Alexander RB - League MVP. Finds the open hole and doesn't waste time hitting it. Great all around back. Hasn't had any major injuries in his career. I'm not sure we can afford him so Graves will have to get creative. Sign for $5.5 million per year.

The key term there was bolded. With all due respect, I just can not see Alexander settling for a contract at $5.5 million unless they backload the hell out of it, to where the team would be paying a shitload of money to him when he's at the wrong end of his career. As much of a Cardinal fan as I am, I also question whether or not he'd go from a team that was just in the Super Bowl to the Cardinals (please do not take that as a personal slam towards the Cards, it's not meant to be).

If the Cards DO go after a HB in free agency, I see more likely than not them going after someone like Najeh Davenport or Chester Taylor. The two are solid HB who have been landblocked by All Pro caliber (at least before this season anyhow) HBs and could come at a price tag that is much more cap friendly than what they'd spend on James or Alexander.

6) Akin Ayodele LB - A solid young player who still has plenty of upside. He can imediately upgrade our run defense and help provide depth at the LB position. Sign for $1 million per year.

Good, solid, under the radar signing idea.

Round 1) Tye Hill CB Clemson 5'10" 180lbs
Not the tallest of corner backs but solidly put together and not affraid to make a tackle. Hill is one of the faster corners in the draft and the best at covering quicker receivers. He would be the perfect complement to Rolle. Not only can he cover but he can return punts. Denny will finally find his punt returner. Hill will start imediately as the nickle corner and provide the Cardinals with great depth at the position.​

Like others have said, I'd rather see Arizona get Huff, Jimmy Williams (I'm assuming your predicting he's going to be picked before 10) or Greenway at 10 over Hill. I'd go Hill if all three of these players are gone, but I really don't think they will be. Although the added depth is nice, I think Rolle and Eric Green are more than capable of manning the CB position, with Macklin in the nickle role. Huff however fills a much bigger need, a young Safety to lineup next to Wilson.

Round 2) Gabe Watson DT Michigan 6'3" 340lbs
The question is will Watson last till the Cardinals pick in the second round. I think he will because of his weight issues and questions about his commitment. Watson would provide depth at the NT postion where he would share time with Ma'ake Kemoeatu. He would also be useful in goal line and short yardage situations.[/QUOTE]

Not a bad pick at all. Truthfully, I see Watson going in the bottom half of the first though.

Round 3) Brodie Croyle QB Alabama 6'2" 200lbs
Croyle is the opposite of Vince Young. He is your pocket passer type who can make every throw in the NFL. His mechinics are solid and he makes good decisions under pressure. I think he is the perfect guy to sit and learn from Warner for a year or two.​

Croyle will be gone by the third IMHO. Once guys like Young, Leinart and Cutler go, it will be a dog chase to see who gets Jacobs and Croyle. I COULD see him falling, only because teams may be scared off by his past injury history, which would prompt some to go after a QB like Charlie Whitehurst, but his upside is too good to pass up on. Should Arizona get him in the 3rd, I'd be thrilled.

Round 4) Taitusi "Deuce" Lutui T USC 6'3" 340lbs
Deuce is a big road grader who probably will be moved inside to play guard. He was the only Senior bowl player to hold his own against Gabe Watson's bull rush.​

Another who I think will be gone at this pick.

As for your other picks, I really like the Jennings pick in the 7th. Arizona needs an upgrade in the KR/PR position, and that guy has jets.​

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snake said:
The key term there was bolded. With all due respect, I just can not see Alexander settling for a contract at $5.5 million unless they backload the hell out of it, to where the team would be paying a shitload of money to him when he's at the wrong end of his career. As much of a Cardinal fan as I am, I also question whether or not he'd go from a team that was just in the Super Bowl to the Cardinals (please do not take that as a personal slam towards the Cards, it's not meant to be).

I think the Cards could easily sign him to a 7 year contract.

Give Alexander a $20 million dollar bonus. It can be spread over ther first four years at $5 million a year.

Then give him the following base salaries:

$0.6M, $1.4M, $2M, $3M, $8M, $9M, $12M

Total base salaries = $36 Million

Add that to the bonus and you get a $56 Million dollar contract over 7 years which comes out to $8 Million a year.

The first year of the contract he will only cost $5.6 Million against the 2006 cap!

The question is will Seattle be willing to match such a big signing bonus if the Cards were to offer it to Alexander?

Like others have said, I'd rather see Arizona get Huff, Jimmy Williams (I'm assuming your predicting he's going to be picked before 10) or Greenway at 10 over Hill. I'd go Hill if all three of these players are gone, but I really don't think they will be. Although the added depth is nice, I think Rolle and Eric Green are more than capable of manning the CB position, with Macklin in the nickle role. Huff however fills a much bigger need, a young Safety to lineup next to Wilson.

I think Williams and Greenway will be gone before the Cards pick. I like Hill over Huff in that Hill can return punts and it is much harder to find quality CB than it is to find a good FS.

Last edited:

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
I think the Cards could easily sign him to a 7 year contract.

Give Alexander a $20 million dollar bonus. It can be spread over ther first four years at $5 million a year.

Then give him the following base salaries:

$0.6M, $1.4M, $2M, $3M, $8M, $9M, $12M

Total base salaries = $36 Million

Add that to the bonus and you get a $56 Million dollar contract over 7 years which comes out to $8 Million a year.

That definately is workable, however let me lobby it back to you... When the end of that contract nears, Alexander will be 36 years old. The general HB shelf life ends at 34-35. Do you think investing $21 million on a 35-36 year old would be worth the immediate return?

The question is will Seattle be willing to match such a big signing bonus if the Cards were to offer it to Alexander?

A lot of it would depend on (A) How confident they'd feel with Maurice Morris as the full time back or (B) How confident they'd feel in being able to bring in a viable replacement.

I think Williams and Greenway will be gone before the Cards pick. I like Hill over Huff in that Hill can return punts and it is much harder to find quality CB than it is to find a good FS.

True, but I feel the Cardinals already have three quality CB.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snake said:
That definately is workable, however let me lobby it back to you... When the end of that contract nears, Alexander will be 36 years old. The general HB shelf life ends at 34-35. Do you think investing $21 million on a 35-36 year old would be worth the immediate return?

The NFL CBA Extension is nearing it completion with only 2 years left. That means signing bonuses can only be spread out over the next four years. Therefore in reality this contract is only a 4 year $6 million per year contract. After four years the Cards can cut Alexander and not take any cap hit.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
The Franchise number for RBs is about $6 million. Lets say Alexander gets a $12 million dollar signing bonus on a 5 year contract. That means his bonus could be spread out to $2.4 million over five years. If you give him a base salary of $3 million his first year that would only come to $5.4 million a year. Like I said, if Graves get creative we should be able to fit Alexander in under the cap and not mortgage our furture.

Latui should easily make it to the second day. The OL is very deep this year and there are plenty of players ranked ahead of him.

Byrd in the sixth is a strech but then again Adam Bergen was projected to go in the fourth last year and he didn't even get drafted. Again this is a deep draft at the TE position and I think it is possible he may fall due to his recent injury problems.

If the Cards could sign Alexander to a 5.5 mil cap figure, I'd do backflips all the way down the freeway to the new stadium.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
How bad would Alexander want to kick Seattle's ass twice a season if he signed here? I hope the Cards make a run for him.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
How bad would Alexander want to kick Seattle's ass twice a season if he signed here? I hope the Cards make a run for him.

I'm sure seattle would hate to see him land with a division rival.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:

So, how do you see the first 9 picks going down then? The Top 4 players in the draft are indisputeably Bush, Leinart, Young, and Ferguson. Then it's Mario Williams, A.J. Hawk, DeAngelo Williams, and Ngata. That's 8 players. And then you have Greenway going? Ahead of Vernon Davis, LenDale White, Huff, and Hali? Wow.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
So, how do you see the first 9 picks going down then? The Top 4 players in the draft are indisputeably Bush, Leinart, Young, and Ferguson. Then it's Mario Williams, A.J. Hawk, DeAngelo Williams, and Ngata. That's 8 players. And then you have Greenway going? Ahead of Vernon Davis, LenDale White, Huff, and Hali? Wow.

1) Bush
2) Leinart
3) Ferguson
4) Young
5) Mario Williams
6) AJ Hawk
7) Greenway
8 ) Ngata
9) Jimmy Williams