Mahomes, Trubisky, Watson, Webb, Tabor and Cutrer

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I believe it was reported on twitter that Byron Leftwich attended pro day for Trubisky.

I am fine with the Cardinals selecting a QB in rd 2 if they really believe he is the QBOTF but to give up mid/high 1st round pick with this talent pool to risk/reach for a 2nd round guy would be a mistake.

I think you are correct, Leftwich was there. I think I read that BA and SK were not -- but they were at the Combine, so it's no biggie.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If the mental aspect is important to the position, then Kizer is leaps and bounds from the other guys. I have watched the interviews so far and Kizer has a professional demeanor about him and he is very smart in comparison... of course they are all young guys, but all the other guys are like kids compared to Kizer when he talks in my opinion
Ironically, there was one draft guru, maybe Casserly who said on tape Kizer looked great until 4th quarter, then mechanics took a dive and he looked like he was trying to do to much. I think that is mental, you have to keep your composure and be mentally strong in key situations, I think that is Kizer's problem. He cracks under the pressure.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Possible QB Strategy:

Trade down for an extra pick or 2. Likely trading partner: a team in love with a Top 12 player & willing to trade up to get him. Cards then can either use their later 1st round pick on a QB or use their extra pick (if high enough) on a QB.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Mahomes will certainly be there at 13 and likely quite a bit latter. Webb at 45 is trickier. He's impressed lately I have heard some scouts do like his upside. He seems to be moving up a confusing pecking order. I'm still on the Watson train, tough none of the group makes me exude confidence.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Ironically, there was one draft guru, maybe Casserly who said on tape Kizer looked great until 4th quarter, then mechanics took a dive and he looked like he was trying to do to much. I think that is mental, you have to keep your composure and be mentally strong in key situations, I think that is Kizer's problem. He cracks under the pressure.

I think he cracks because his team would dismantle by the fourth quarter, it is hard to tell with all the moving components which go into a game. I just watch Kizer in the pocket and he is actually thinking and not just reacting, which by the same token might be him thinking too much but I like the fact that there is more going into his decisions than the simple quick reads of the other offensive systems which define the other QBs (maybe they can, but never where asked to in the respective schemes) but that is just an observation from afar... this will be interesting, but if I had a choice it would be Kizer :)

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Possible QB Strategy:

Trade down for an extra pick or 2. Likely trading partner: a team in love with a Top 12 player & willing to trade up to get him. Cards then can either use their later 1st round pick on a QB or use their extra pick (if high enough) on a QB.

This is what I hope happens, especially considering the draft is CB heavy.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think he cracks because his team would dismantle by the fourth quarter, it is hard to tell with all the moving components which go into a game. I just watch Kizer in the pocket and he is actually thinking and not just reacting, which by the same token might be him thinking too much but I like the fact that there is more going into his decisions than the simple quick reads of the other offensive systems which define the other QBs (maybe they can, but never where asked to in the respective schemes) but that is just an observation from afar... this will be interesting, but if I had a choice it would be Kizer :)
What intrigues me about Kizer is that he comes from a pro-style offense (the only QB in this class) so he is ahead of the others in that regard. Watson has the leadership and intangibles, Mahomes has the physical tools.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is what I hope happens, especially considering the draft is CB heavy.
I could see PIT or NYG as potential matches. Both are rumored to be awe struck over Reddick and may feel the need to move up to get him, that would drop ARZ down to #23 or #26 but not sure either would part with a 2nd in order to move up.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
What intrigues me about Kizer is that he comes from a pro-style offense (the only QB in this class) so he is ahead of the others in that regard. Watson has the leadership and intangibles, Mahomes has the physical tools.

I think the position is so demanding at the professional level that unless you are in a pro system while in college, you basically have to run a scale down offense for two freaking years to give the kid a chance. The Cardinals do have something special for any young QB learning and that is David Johnson... that is huge for any young guy coming here because even a simple play becomes dynamic with DJ and his abilities

Reactions: HGC

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Welcome to the board!

I do not see Webb going at #13 either. But i do see him going before #45, which puts the Cardinals in a bit of a dilemma if he's their top QB.

I read today that no Cardinals' coach was on hand to see Mitchell Trubisky's pro day. Rumor has it that BA thinks Trubisky isn't as thick and strong-armed as he would like. If there's truth to the rumor, then scratch not only Trubisky off the Cardinals' board, scratch Watson too, because Watson has the slowest RPMs of any of the top QB prospects. That would leave Mahomes, Kizer, Webb and Peterman. But, the Cardinals did not meet with Kizer...hmm. And if BA wants a thicker, big armed QB then that would rule out Peterman.

Thus, it may be down to Mahomes and Webb.

The Cardinals have drafted some players which I remember the player saying they had no idea they were interested in them. I think the fact that Kizer being talked about in the top five in this 'what if' QB class has not been openly seen by a QB interested Cardinals team (and the kid has no character flaws with the law to exempt him) is a very telling sign he actually might be on their radar

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I could see PIT or NYG as potential matches. Both are rumored to be awe struck over Reddick and may feel the need to move up to get him, that would drop ARZ down to #23 or #26 but not sure either would part with a 2nd in order to move up.

I think we could grab a decent S in the 3rd.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Not sure why the Cardinals wouldn't interview Kizer, at the very least. From what I've heard he has done a good job doing interviews.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Approaching the draft is kind of like getting ready to play 3-card monte at a carnival:

Drafting a player we'd like to have (like, say, a QB) at #13 with the expectation that "there should be a CB around at #75") runs the risk that there won't be a CB there at #75. (The "Bird in Hand" theory is that "If you really need a CB, draft him in round one while you've got the chance).

But a parallel theory is that "when you've got a shot at your QB of the future, leap on that puppy while he's still on your board, because QBOF's don't grow on trees.

Which is why I'd rather avoid being swindled at the carnival & opt instead for a BPA strategy or Player Available Who Can Best Help Us (PAWCBHU) approach - i.e. draft the dude you need the most first and let the chips fall as each subsequent pick comes due.

seesred

Reaction score
I'm not drafting a qb in round 1. Rather look down a bit or look for a good number 2 to develop. I want a CB first. There are half dozen I like. I also like this kid Watson at 13. I would love us to trade down from 13 pick up extra pick for maybe what you all are talking about that QB.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He might be when the dust settles but no way he's an option at 13.

It is an unpredictable class which is why I think they'll avoid it in the 1st round especially with so much talent available to them. Its looking like other teams are doing that. San Francisco and Chicago bought bridges to 2018 weather its through free agency or the draft. The Jets are going to be terrible and probably tanking for Darnold. That leaves Cleveland and Buffalo as possible qb selections ahead of the Cardinals. No one mocked Bosa to the Chargers last year so maybe they're keeping their cards close to their chest again and looking for Rivers successor.

My hunch tells me they like Kizer and Mahomes more than the others but think they pass on qb early unless one of these guys blows them away.

I've been lurking on this site for 3 years and finally signed up.
I'll have a deep dish sausage pizza with extra sauce from Lou's and a Modelo.

What is wrong with the rest of you?!?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Eight Jack in the Box tacos with hot sauce (we don't have them here), a pint of Guinness, and a bag of Wal-Mart BBQ chips, please.

What, I'm hungry today :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possible QB Strategy:

I like this strategy if the Cardinals are not locked onto a quarterback that may be gone after #13.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05