Marbury: Overjoyed to be a Knick

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1701716

CLEVELAND -- Stephon Marbury was overjoyed to be with his New York Knicks' teammates, even if he wasn't able to take part in a shootaround before Tuesday night's game against the Cavaliers.

"It's so overwhelming, it's not even real," Marbury said in his first comments since being traded from the Phoenix Suns to the Knicks as part of an eight-player deal Monday.

Marbury and newly acquired Penny Hardaway did not participate in the shootaround because the players traded to Phoenix had not taken physical exams. Marbury and Hardaway will both be game-time decisions for the Cleveland game.

Marbury, from Brooklyn, N.Y., said the trade fulfills his lifelong dream to play at Madison Square Garden.

"It's the best opportunity for the Knicks and it's the best opportunity for myself," Marbury said. "They want championships and they want them now ... and I want that more than anything."

The Suns sent Marbury, Hardaway and Cezary Trebanski to the Knicks for Antonio McDyess, Howard Eisley, Charlie Ward, Maciej Lampe, the rights to Milos Vujanic and two first-round draft picks.

Marbury said having Knicks president Isiah Thomas, a player he idolized, bring him back home made the deal even better.

"I'm saying 'thank you' to him and he's saying 'thank you' to me," Marbury said. "It's a great situation."

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'm glad he is happy. C's took care of him- gave him a huge contract and traded him where he will be happy. :thumbup:

wager323

Reaction score
his facial expression didnt show happiness before the cleveland game

it looked like he was pissed

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by wager323
his facial expression didnt show happiness before the cleveland game

it looked like he was pissed

He was more comfortable in Phoenix than ever before in his career. Moving to a new team and the pressure of the NY Press is going to be tough. But it is home and he knows he was not dumped, he was pursued.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I'm happy for him too. I hope this turns out to be one of the greatest win-win-win trade for all participants.:thumbup:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marbury has shown alot of class throughout the last few days. I've gained alot of respect for him.

Although, in the end, I like this trade, I also wish Steph well. Next time he is town he deserves to be cheered heartily by Suns fans. Appreciation for the hard work here and the classy way he's behaved as he moved on.

Jason Kidd and Rodney Roger should pay attention.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Feb 25th is the day. I have my tickets, and plan on cheering him all night long. If the people in my section weren't so pissy, I would bring a poster.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree completely except that this point I expected this kind of professionalism from him. It was earlier in his stay in Phoenix that he surprised me. I'm in his first season here he was given every reason to act like a jerk. Remember the way Byron Scott blasted him before the first game against New Jersey? He was a class act all the way... except for the extreme DUI. Even that he handled well.

After this season I'll be a New York Knicks fan because of Stephon Marbury.

Joe Mama

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Originally posted by cly2tw
I'm happy for him too. I hope this turns out to be one of the greatest win-win-win trade for all participants.:thumbup:
I hope its a win win for the Knicks next year.:)

cly2tw

Reaction score
I'd like the Knicks to qualify as the 8th seed and win the championship against the Lakers. And then a so pissed off Kobe would choose to join the Suns via FA.:wave: :thumbup: :D

Oh, certainly they will kill the Nets on the way too.:D

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh please!

The New York media has got to be the most idiotic group of people on Earth. They all belong in Bellevue. :)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/152647p-134395c.html

Team president Isiah Thomas is not finished dealing, and there is a possibility that he will package Williams with another player, perhaps Michael Doleac or Othella Harrington. One source said the package could possibly be for Cleveland's Darius Miles. The way Thomas is going, he could probably convince the Lakers to take the package and give the Knicks Shaquille O'Neal.

Joe Mama