Mark Cavendish: 'no matter how hard I put the throttle down I couldn't go faster'

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The man nicknamed the ‘Manx Missile’ is at present holed up in his native Isle of Man - awaiting blast off. The coronavirus lockdown has led to the suspension of the cycling season and the Tour De France postponed until August 29, something many feel to be a somewhat optimistic date given the challenges that lie ahead. While normally Mark Cavendish would be deep in the racing circuit at this time of year, instead since March he has been at home with his wife and their four young children. In fact, the soon to be 35-year-old admits, it is probably the longest period he has ever spent with his family away from racing. “When I get away from racing I get itchy feet after a week or so and I wondered spending longer how itchy they might get” he says. “But just being able to spend a continual period of time being a dad, I’ve properly loved it.” That is not to say the sudden onset of domesticity means he hasn't been on his bike. In recent days Cavendish made headlines after pedalling up the equivalent of Mount Everest (8,848m) over 10 hours on his home turbo trainer. He estimates he is currently cycling about 20 hours a week and putting in a further 10 hours training in the gym. But in between this strict training routine he is revelling in the simple things that on any normal year are rendered impossible by preparing for a Grand Tour.

Continue reading...