Mayock on the RBs in the draft

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
i agree with him McFadden is a gimick guy, not a true RB, he has some bad fundamentals

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good video. Good for draftniks. Look forward to seeing more of those.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Now THAT was an awesome breakdown.

Thanks Mayock.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
i don't have to watch to agree with him.But I will. Mendenhall at# 16.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yuck. Yes, Mendenhall seems to have great speed and accelaration--it's his acceleration that separates him from J.J. Arrington--but he CAN'T BREAK ARM TACKLES. Sorry, Rashard, but the guys in the NFL are going to be bigger and stronger than the guys you're facing in the craptastic Big 10. You can't run around them, because they're faster, too. No spread offense to get corners on the field instead of linebackers, either.

I think that he's an okay prospect, but I want to see a back who can break arm tackles. I agree with Mayock that none of these guys are in the same conversation as Adrian Peterson--I thought that Peterson was a better prospect than Reggie Bush was--but Mendenhall isn't going to be much of an answer for the team that drafts him high, IMO.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
Yuck. Yes, Mendenhall seems to have great speed and accelaration--it's his acceleration that separates him from J.J. Arrington--but he CAN'T BREAK ARM TACKLES. Sorry, Rashard, but the guys in the NFL are going to be bigger and stronger than the guys you're facing in the craptastic Big 10. You can't run around them, because they're faster, too. No spread offense to get corners on the field instead of linebackers, either.

I think that he's an okay prospect, but I want to see a back who can break arm tackles. I agree with Mayock that none of these guys are in the same conversation as Adrian Peterson--I thought that Peterson was a better prospect than Reggie Bush was--but Mendenhall isn't going to be much of an answer for the team that drafts him high, IMO.
Wow...Just wow I disagree with everything you said in your post.

Mendenhall was the only offense UI had against USC. Also he is one of the most complete RB's in the draft because of his pass blocking and pure strength. The Big 10 isn't that bad some of the strongest players are in the Big 10 such has Jake Long even Larry Johnson came out of there. I don't know if you watched many UI games but Mendenhall breaks alot of tackles and reminds me alot of Jamal Lewis...Another RB thats being overlooked is Matt Forte.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow...Just wow I disagree with everything you said in your post.

Mendenhall was the only offense UI had against USC. Also he is one of the most complete RB's in the draft because of his pass blocking and pure strength. The Big 10 isn't that bad some of the strongest players are in the Big 10 such has Jake Long even Larry Johnson came out of there. I don't know if you watched many UI games but Mendenhall breaks alot of tackles and reminds me alot of Jamal Lewis...Another RB thats being overlooked is Matt Forte.

Wow, if he looks like Jamal Lewis, sign him up. That guy is a stud.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score

Don't you think Mendenhall will also get bigger and stronger? Look at the transformation of Thomas Jones. Okay, maybe that's a bad example because he hung out with Boston. Marion Barber is as hard as anyone i've seen to get on the ground.He wasn't like that at Minnesota(Big 10 school :D).

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Don't you think Mendenhall will also get bigger and stronger? Look at the transformation of Thomas Jones. Okay, maybe that's a bad example because he hung out with Boston. Marion Barber is as hard as anyone i've seen to get on the ground.He wasn't like that at Minnesota(Big 10 school :D).

I thought we were looking for a guy who could produce big plays? Barber is a plodder, just like Edge James is. Also, Barber was drafted in the third round, wasn't he? If Mendenhall is just as good as Barber, then he has no place being drafted in the top 25 picks.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought we were looking for a guy who could produce big plays? Barber is a plodder, just like Edge James is. Also, Barber was drafted in the third round, wasn't he? If Mendenhall is just as good as Barber, then he has no place being drafted in the top 25 picks.
I would be content with getting a Pro Bowler in the first round.

I also wouldn't compare Barber to James, as the two are pretty different. IMHO he is like a slower Steven Jackson.

Last edited:
OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I would be content with getting a Pro Bowler in the first round.

I also wouldn't compare Barber to James, as the two are pretty different. IMHO he is like a slower Steven Jackson.

where James gets an extra few yards through slithering through contact, or keeping his feet for an extra step after contact -- and makes it look easy

Barber gets his by just refusing to go down until forced to -- and makes it look like he is going all out

the comparison isnt a bad one -- neither will take it 60 yards

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
If McFadden does somehow fall to 16 i hope we dont take him. Not the right type of guy unless we decide to run the option. He cant be productive lined up behind the QB hes not big enough and he has fundamental issues.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
You misunderstood (mis-remembered :D)what i meant. I think Mendenhall has big play ability,as shown againt USC. I was using Barber as an example of a guy who gotten stronger once he reached the NFL. THere's no doubt Mendy is a better prospect coming out of college.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Way back before the season started, I heard an NFL scout mention just as Mayock did that there are tendencies in McFadden that really don't translate to the NFL. The biggest knock on McFadden was that he doesn't attack the line of scrimmmage in a way that is needed at the NFL level. At Arkansas its all about motion, misdirection, to option or not, and rarely did McFadden ever just get the handoff out of a traditional set.

Not bashing McFadden. When he does break free he is fantastic, but I do agree with Mayock that there are some things about McFadden that make you wonder if he transitions well to the next level. As for Mendenhall, there is no doubt in my mind he will be a bigtime player. I was at the Rose Bowl, and seeing him in person out run a very talented USC on that 79 yarder and then again on the screen pass for 50 plus yards was very, very impressive. As another mentioned, Mendenhall was the offense for Illinois in that game and it wasn't like he was playing against a cup cake defense. The USC defense is awesome.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
i agree with him McFadden is a gimick guy, not a true RB, he has some bad fundamentals

McFadden a gimmick guy???? Doak Walker award twice as the best RB in the nation. 225lbs of speed and power. All American. #3 in the SEC in all time yardage. Set all time yardage a Arkansas. Can throw 60 yd passes. Is a RB and kickoff returner. Runner up two years in a row for Heisman. This is a gimmick guy?? Give us a couple of gimmick players like this and we will waltz to the playoffs. He will be the first RB taken in the draft.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Yup, . That said he might be the best prospect out there in a deep group. Time will tell.

Last edited:

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
McFadden a gimmick guy???? Doak Walker award twice as the best RB in the nation. 225lbs of speed and power. All American. #3 in the SEC in all time yardage. Set all time yardage a Arkansas. Can throw 60 yd passes. Is a RB and kickoff returner. Runner up two years in a row for Heisman. This is a gimmick guy?? Give us a couple of gimmick players like this and we will waltz to the playoffs. He will be the first RB taken in the draft.

No question he'll be the first rb taken. He is the cream of the crop.

To put things into perspective, this it the same board where more than half of the posters were questioning the wisdom of drafting Adrian Peterson with the fifth overall pick.

McFadden will have great success in the NFL, IMO.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
if we have back-to-back years where we pass on peterson and mcfadden i'll throw up. on cheese.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McFadden brings a lot to the table, but like Bush he needs to be put in the right situations. Honestly, he reminds me of a young Anquan Boldin.

Last edited:

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
McFadden brings a lot to the table, but like Bush he needs to be put in the right situations. Honestly, he reminds me of a young Anquan Boldin.

EXACTLY.... he is just like reggie bush and we all saw how bush did as the featured back. Mcfadden got most of his yards rushing while playin QB, he has friggin chicken legs that wont hold up in the NFL as a running back. What does him throwing 60 yard passes have to do with anything? If you want a RB dont draft him but if you are lookin for the next slash then you found your guy. But if you draft him it still dosent solve our RB problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05