McCown

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
How far ahead are Carr/Harrington over McCown? I can't watch the games, but like what I have heard from him so far. I think they should give him more time to develop. Needs to work on hanging on to the ball, staying in pocket too long, what else? IMO, all things that a QB with 3 starts would have to improve on.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Physical Qualities

He seems to have the physical qualities.

He's definately a competitor.

I wonder about his mental make-up though.....ability to read defenses....etc.

dbcard74

Reaction score
I've been impressed by McCown in his three starts, all of which I saw on DirecTV. He's big, can scramble, has a strong arm, and for the most part has avoided the kind of mistakes that inexperienced quarterbacks usually make, like throwing into double coverage and making bad throws that are easy interceptions.

Today was his weakest game of the three. And, still, what did he wind up with - something like 22 of 33 for over 200 yards, with 2 TDs and 1 interception? That's not too bad against a team that was playing for a playoff berth.

And the TV guys said his quarterback rating in his first two starts was over 90. If you get a QB consistently around 90, you've got a winner.

Give him some experience and a little better supporting cast, including a more imaginative offensive coordinator, and he will be a good NFL quarterback.

OP
OP
Beaver

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Originally posted by dbcard74

Today was his weakest game of the three. And, still, what did he wind up with - something like 22 of 33 for over 200 yards, with 2 TDs and 1 interception? That's not too bad against a team that was playing for a playoff berth.

Don't forget the jumbled O-line.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
i was very anti mccown until i was at the game today. He impressed me but i'm not completely sold on the kid. I hope that we get some young guy or a solid veteran that pushes this guy in training camp a lot. I'll take any guy that can have more td's then interceptions and doesnt lose the game for this team. If we dont get one of the qb's in the draft lets draft Fitzgerald from Pitt. Could u imagine lining up Quan, Fitz, and Bj that could be very solid. We also need to sign verteran solid defensive players.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He impressed me but i'm not completely sold on the kid. I hope that we get some young guy or a solid veteran that pushes this guy in training camp a lot.
I kind of feel the same way. You can see the potential if he can master the IQ part of the game. But it's uncertain how fast (if at all) he can become "seasoned."

You could see he had the right instincts on a few of the late-game plays he did make, but there were times when he stood in the pocket too long and took too many sacks instead of rolling past the hash marks and throwing the ball away.

Therefore, the 3 questions needing to be answered are: (1) how high is his upside? (2) how long will it take him to get there? and (3) can we afford to wait that long?

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
People keep bringing up McCown's "intelligence" and how he has trouble learning the playbook.

Where did this come from?

I don't remember ever seeing any comments by anyone from the team saying that. I'm not saying no one did, but I don't remember it. I would be interested to know where this originated.

Either Chris Myers or ******* Romo mentioned during the telecast that Sullivan had said in an interview before the game that the Cards were going to "open up the playbook" for this game, and in fact, as least as far as Josh was concerned they did seem to implement some new "wrinkles" utilizing his athleticism.

The reverse that Quan fumbled on, looked like it was going to be a nice "big" play until he bobbled that exchange from Emmitt.

It would appear to me that Josh actually "picked up" things fairly well, in that regard.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
McCown completed 20 of 33 passes (61%) for 224 yards, two TDs and one INT. He fumbled four times (zero lost).

He was sacked eight more times today bringing the total for the last two games to 16. The kid has taken a pounding, but he hasn't missed a snap.

I think the play calling was really, really bad in the first half, and that cost McCown a chance for a better game.

Plus, Wells got beat repeatedly, allowing the vikes to hit McCown in the backfield several times. Overall, the pass blocking was atrocious, and horrible.

McCown got more than lucky several times in this game. And it is a miracle that we won. However, hes shown me enough for us to go away from a QB in the draft. Keep Josh, shore up the defense and offensive line in 04.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Crimson Warrior

Plus, Wells got beat repeatedly, allowing the vikes to hit McCown in the backfield several times. Overall, the pass blocking was atrocious, and horrible.

I think you mean Shelton. He was a cardboard cut out today.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by swd1974
tango, you gonna take mccown to the prom too?

:roll:

Have you got any more moronic gems to put us all to sleep with?

Mojo

Veteran
Reaction score
In the three games McCown has played, he has kept us close. He almost won vs Carolina, he played okay vs Seattle in a game the cards had 13 pts taking away from them (Neil Rackers missing FGs and the refs took the boldin touchdown away) and he threw a last second bomb against the Vikings. I was hoping for Manning, but oh well if they hire Dennis Green I will still be happy. As long as Jeff Blake and his so called "best deep ball in the game" is benched I will be happy also.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
what?

wells started in place of Shelton, and played the whole game.

DOH. I take that statement back. I was in the back of the club watching the small tv (cards only get the small one).

Then yeah wells was truely bad!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what?

wells started in place of Shelton, and played the whole game.

Wells really got schooled today. Not surprising I guess. Dishman had a very hard time with Williams as well,

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

wait, but everyone says wells is such a steal! how can this be true?!?