McShay Breaks Down QB Prospects

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
Check out this LINK.

McShay breaks down Luck, Locker, Mallet and Newton while also mentioning Blaine Gabbert of Missouri. I'll be honest and admit that I haven't seen a single snap that Gabbert has taken this season but if you scroll to the bottom of the article, Scout's Inc has their top 32 prospects and Gabbert is the second QB listed behind Luck.

Gabbert is still a junior so he might not even declare for the draft but does anyone have some insight on his game?

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Gabbert huh? That's actually an interesting idea. He's comfortable in the shot-gun, which is good for us since Whiz loves shot-gun. He appears to have a quick release, solid mechanics, and above average athleticism. Note he's 6'5'' 235, and runs a 4.65 40. Physically he is everything you would want out of a QB.

Here are some scouting reports on him.
http://nflmocks.com/2010/09/15/2011-nfl-draft-scouting-report-blaine-gabbert-mizzou/
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2705
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Blaine-Gabbert-55586
http://realsportshype.blogspot.com/2010/11/scouting-report-blaine-gabbert.html

They all pretty much say this:
Strengths:
Prototypical NFL quarterback. Great size and bulk. Has superior arm strength. Highly accurate when on the move; Overall good accuracy. Has good field vision. Quick release and nice mechanics. Poised in the pocket. Can by time with his mobility. Very good leader.

Weaknesses:
Non Pro-Style Offense. Throws balls up for grabs when pressured. Locks onto receivers. Sometimes forces throws when he could scramble.

Sounds pretty good. If he's a hard worker, there's no reason he can't overcome those weaknesses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW69HWngSdk

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, he has gone through the process of putting out feelers for his draft stock, which implies that he'd come out if he liked what he was told. Right now he's projected late first-early second, but he's the type of player that sounds like he'll wow scouts with his measurable's and could jump the way Philip Rivers did. If he does stay in the late first-early second range, I could see us trying to move up with our 2nd rounder to get him, and take a pass rusher or OL with our first round pick.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I've seen him play for Mizzou a lot.

He'll be a much better pro QB than he was a college QB.

He's such a prototypical pocket passer it's not funny, he can move but he plays in the spread now and it's not his best offensive scheme IMO.

He'd be much better in a pro style offense IMO, big arm, very big arm.

I'd prefer Luck but after that if you're going to take a QB, you should look at this kid really hard.

He's not the kind of kid that could start right away and make it better, his first year is going to suck I think, not DA suck but just he's not going to be much the first year to build around, long term I'd say his future is bright though.

Watch the insight bowl, he's playing in that in a stadium that's vaugely familiar :)http://www.fiestabowl.org/index.php/insight/

Last edited:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, he has gone through the process of putting out feelers for his draft stock, which implies that he'd come out if he liked what he was told. Right now he's projected late first-early second, but he's the type of player that sounds like he'll wow scouts with his measurable's and could jump the way Philip Rivers did. If he does stay in the late first-early second range, I could see us trying to move up with our 2nd rounder to get him, and take a pass rusher or OL with our first round pick.

It's funny you mention Philip Rivers, because people say he reminds them of him all the time.

I really wouldn't waste an incredibly high pick on the kid, something like taking a pass rusher like you said then moving back up in the first to get him makes more sense but I doubt we'd be able to get high enough to get him after the scouts see him.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
It's funny you mention Philip Rivers, because people say he reminds them of him all the time.

I really wouldn't waste an incredibly high pick on the kid, something like taking a pass rusher like you said then moving back up in the first to get him makes more sense but I doubt we'd be able to get high enough to get him after the scouts see him.

Sad but true. If Newton and Mallet can stay in front of him, it will help though. Teams picking 16-32 usually don't need a QB and I don't think that's any different this year.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Sad but true. If Newton and Mallet can stay in front of him, it will help though. Teams picking 16-32 usually don't need a QB and I don't think that's any different this year.

Ideally if we could get him round two that would be perfect, I would definitely take a flyer on him for that.

We're high enough to pull it off but he'd have to fall from where projected because I don't know if he'd come out if he thought that's what would happen.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Ideally if we could get him round two that would be perfect, I would definitely take a flyer on him for that.

We're high enough to pull it off but he'd have to fall from where projected because I don't know if he'd come out if he thought that's what would happen.

How about trading down? Not that we'd be sure to find anyone, but if we could go to the mid teens and pick up a second or something, would you find that reasonable?

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we could trade our 2nd rounder for a pick in the 20s, we should be able to get him. That is of course as long as the Scout's don't fall head over heals in love with him.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
How about trading down? Not that we'd be sure to find anyone, but if we could go to the mid teens and pick up a second or something, would you find that reasonable?

Most definitely.

We need more than just a QB it's only probably worth selling out a lot of picks for Luck, he's that much better IMO.

BG is probably a later first round pick, and if we really want a QB he's a worthy target IMO and it would make sense to trade down to get him.

It seems every year though someone bids up a guy like him, normally as a Mizzou fan I'd love that, this year I'd rather we get him quietly but I totally doubt that will happen.

I really haven't taken a long look at the board, trading down in certain years is a fanstastic idea and in other years it's a bad idea, depends on what's up around where we pick, if you can get a pro bowl defensive pass rusher up where we're at you take them and worry about your QB later in this draft I think.

Last edited:

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Have seen Gabbert play a lot in high school and at Mizzou. Good size, decent speed, and a great arm. Can that translate into the pro game? He is worth a shot at the late first round or early second.

Always seemed to have bad games against Nebraska. Not sure why that is but strange.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I said we should draft this Kid ,if he comes out ,back in October . He has the makings of a solid NFL Qb with his size, speed, and decision making skills. If we draft around 9-15 and he is there we should go and get him. I have seen him alot and he could be a steal mid 1st round. He will not come out if he is 2nd round evaluated and he doesn't make it down that far anyway as someone will take him in the 20's. With us drafting top 5 anyway we won't take him. Hope he stays at Mizzou and he leads us to a championship next season.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I clicked the link. If LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson comes out, I'd take him in a NY minute. With DRC and PP, cornerback becomes a position of strength.