MCU: Marvel (Disney) News Going Forward (2023)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Human Torch was part of a largely forgotten Fantastic Four from almost two decades ago… not THE icon of Superhero movies for the last 15 years like Downey was with Iron Man.
Right, but the time between Chris Evans being Johnny Storm and Steve Rogers was only four years. Many people balked at the casting because he had just portrayed another Marvel hero so recently. Worked out well for him.

If this is just RDJ wanting to remain in the MCU by playing a different character, then it seems like very odd casting. His role/arc/etc. was very memorable and for him to just take over another iconic role so soon (5 years since his last Iron Man appearance) shouldn't go over well with fans. How many other actors out there could pull off the role of Victor Von Doom and they just hand it over to RDJ? Meh.

I am just glad it isn't another Ultron-like situation where Doom is an Iron Man offshoot somehow. Hopefully they know what they are doing, but who knows anymore with Disney...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, but the time between Chris Evans being Johnny Storm and Steve Rogers was only four years. Many people balked at the casting because he had just portrayed another Marvel hero so recently. Worked out well for him.

If this is just RDJ wanting to remain in the MCU by playing a different character, then it seems like very odd casting. His role/arc/etc. was very memorable and for him to just take over another iconic role so soon (5 years since his last Iron Man appearance) shouldn't go over well with fans. How many other actors out there could pull off the role of Victor Von Doom and they just hand it over to RDJ? Meh.

I am just glad it isn't another Ultron-like situation where Doom is an Iron Man offshoot somehow. Hopefully they know what they are doing, but who knows anymore with Disney...
That was long before the MCU had a cohesive universe and was with a different studio. I think every fan had an easier time with that considering how forgettable that franchise was and that they were not related. That is a completely different scenario because this is the same actor in the same continuity playing two different huge characters. That is not remotely the same scenario. At least with him being a variant it's a plausible explanation in this MCU. To not address it? That is beyond any reasonable suspension of believe that audience doesn't know he looks EXACTLY like Tony Stark.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I dunno... never would have guessed that was Colin Ferrell playing the Penguin. Neither by appearance nor voice.
They can make Doom not be Tony Stark.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know it was DC, but if they can make one of the better Batmen out of Michael Keaton, anything is possible!!

In the late 1980s, the news of Michael Keaton getting cast as Batman was not immediately embraced by fans when it was first announced. There had been concerns that the actor, who was known for his comedy work, would not be able to convincingly play the brooding superhero. He has since become established as one of the most popular actors to have played Batman, ultimately proving that Burton was onto something with the casting. In a new video interview with GQ, Keaton praised Burton for making the "ballsy" decision while reflecting on his time spent working on the first Batman film.

I remember me and all my buddies talking about what a miscast he was when it was announce he was playing Batman. I saw TV segments with critics saying it would be horrible. Arguably, he was one of the better actors to play Batman.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno... never would have guessed that was Colin Ferrell playing the Penguin. Neither by appearance nor voice.
They can make Doom not be Tony Stark.
Again different scenario if they do something similar and he is unrecognizable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky