MD Cornerback Josh Wilson

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am in love with this guy's speed, have been for a while now. From everything I have read and heard he is projected to go somewhere between the second and fourth rounds. I bring him up on the boards often but never get any feedback on what you guys in AZ think of him. 4.24 in the 40, you cant beat it. Gimme some thought here guys.

Last edited:

BigWatson

Registered
Reaction score
its josh wilson ;)
i think hes a great corner though. excellent speed and cover skills and hes very physical who can play the run as well. also he could become a great punt returner. the only real knock on him is his size (5'9). he will be a 2nd round pick, or 3rd at worst. reminds me a little bit of dominique foxworth

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Wow from his bio he is a stud CB that lacks ideal size. But if he is a football player then I would love this pick...

He would be good depth & also might take over our return's. I would be thrilled to draft him in what the third?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I havent seen him play but his weaknesses seem minimal and/or coachable.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He played in 46 games and only has 2 interceptions. Corners in the Nfl need interceptions. He is a second day pick for sure.

seesred

Reaction score
At 5'9 size matters. The WR now a days are big tough tall guys with speed. Look at our top three. If his drafted late second day IMO.

GBR

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 5'9 size matters. The WR now a days are big tough tall guys with speed. Look at our top three. If his drafted late second day IMO.

GBR

While a taller CB would be better, our WR corps is the exception, not the rule. Steve Smith is 5'9", Torry Holt is about 6' even, Chad Johnson is 6'1". Harrison and Wayne are 6'.

If we ended up drafting Wilson we could arrange the coverage so the larger, more physical Rolle gets the bigger WR and Wilson had the smaller one. We sure could use some speed back there.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
I havent seen him play but his weaknesses seem minimal and/or coachable.

If you haven't seen him play how do you know that his weaknesses seem minimal? Height is one of his problems and that isn't going to be corrected by coaching.

SunDevil

Reaction score
If you haven't seen him play how do you know that his weaknesses seem minimal? Height is one of his problems and that isn't going to be corrected by coaching.

I have seen him play. I live in MD and this kid is a stud! He is extremely fast and great in coverage. I do not know his interception totals off hand, but he is always around the ball and from the games that I watched he had a lot of pass deflections. From what I remember he was a good tackler as well.

He would also fill our kick/punt return needs. This year at Maryland, he returned kick-offs and AVERAGED 31 yards a return!

I would love to get this guy on our team next year.

OP
OP
cardsfanmd

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have seen him play. I live in MD and this kid is a stud! He is extremely fast and great in coverage. I do not know his interception totals off hand, but he is always around the ball and from the games that I watched he had a lot of pass deflections. From what I remember he was a good tackler as well.

He would also fill our kick/punt return needs. This year at Maryland, he returned kick-offs and AVERAGED 31 yards a return!

Hey, I thought I was the only Cards fan in Md. Catch up with me before the cards/skins or cards/ravens game this year. I will be at both.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I have been touting this kid for a couple of months now...ever since I saw him personally take over the Florida State game at FSU, taking one pass to the house so quickly he was a blur on the screen.

I watched a few of his other games and he was consistently good...not only in coverage, but in making key thrid down tackles.

I am praying that he is still on the board at #38. But, if he runs another 4.2 at the combine, there's no way he'll make it to #38.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Wilson does not play small...I wouldn't have known he's only 5'9"...he's solidly built, has a very good vertical...and gets to passes in a flash.

He ran the kickoff back 100 yards for a TD versus Georgia Tech...and was ACC Defensive Player of the Week after breaking up 5 passes in a 14-13 win at Miami. Good stuff.

Last edited:

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
I think we desperately need more speed at corner rather than size. I would be very happy if we got him in the 3rd.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Defense is all about matchups. While it's true that the trend is toward larger, more physical wideouts, there will be occasions when we'll need an answer for another team's burner.

Which suggests that Wilson probably wouldn't be the answer as a #1 or #2 corner, but might be ideal for matchup duty or in nickel or dime packages.

My guess is that some well-stocked team may snatch him late in the second round, but the Cardinals have too many other holes to fill than to use their high second round pick on someone like Wilson.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this guy is going to be a very good corner. He would provide us a guy that could match up with those super fast WRs. I've been projecting that the Cardinals select him with thier 2nd round pick for the last two months!

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score

He sounds like a good player, I just have problems with posters makeing judgements without seeing him play.

As far as the height issue many here seem to think its not a problem, and maybe its not, but the linked scouting report seemed to think it was an area of concern and the players will only get bigger and stronger at the next level.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is it about kids from Maryland and off the charts workout type numbers?

Merriman, Vernon Davis, now this kid.

OP
OP
cardsfanmd

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As a resident I can personnaly tell you there is something in the water. The guys aren't the only specimens, you should see the women we grow over here.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a resident I can personnaly tell you there is something in the water. The guys are the only specimens, you should see the women we grow over here.

So they put steroids in the water?

:D

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome SunDevil.

I'll have some crab cakes and a hot buttered rum, please.

OP
OP
cardsfanmd

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok its official the boy just ran a 4.35 at the combine. Fastest of the dbs I think. Deion said that he is an ideal slot corner. Sanders explained that little shifty guys like Wilson do the best there.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He sounds like a good player, I just have problems with posters makeing judgements without seeing him play.

As far as the height issue many here seem to think its not a problem, and maybe its not, but the linked scouting report seemed to think it was an area of concern and the players will only get bigger and stronger at the next level.

I am making judgement on his production. In the NFL a cornerback is judge on how many pass defense and interception he makes. He has had 2 interception in 46 games. that is not a very good stat. This is why this kid will be avaible in the 4th or 5th round.