Mel Kiper Says Clarrett a 5 or 6 rd. Pick

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say this a couple of days ago on ESPN news--Kiper said that had Clarrett been draft eligible last year he might have been a second rounder, but unless his workouts are through the roof, he's probably a 5th or 6th round pick this year.

I don't know that I buy that, but if it's true, I'd love to see Green take him in the 4th or 5th.

PS-He also said that Mike Williams is a mid-first round pick.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think a 5th rounder is a gamble worth taking on the guy. He obviously has talent and if he can focus on football and stay durable he could be a steal.

Its not like the guy is a nutcase like Lawrence Phillips or the closet pooper (forget his name--Davenport?).

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that, if the Draft were held today, Clarett might drop down to the 5th or 6th round, because he only has a year of college experience and no one has seen him play or work out for roughly a year. He's an unknown entity.

But the draft won't be held today. Scouts, coaches and management (and, to a lesser degree, Kiper and his compadres) will have 4 months to measure him, time him, test him and interview him. This will (duh!) cause his rating to increase, decrease or stay the same.

And even then, no one will have seen him on the field for well over a year.

Here's a question for us all. In the past, one or two teams could get so good and so deep that they could afford to take a gamble on a risky player (for example, the Cowboys drafted a Navy QB who didn't figure to turn pro - Roger Staubach). Conventional wisdom would tell us that "free agency has changed all that. And with parity, no team is deep enough. Agree? Or Disagree?

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
Two things...

In regards to Clarett, I bet somebody takes a flier on him in the first day or as one of the first couple of picks of day 2.

For Jeff's question, it's not quite the same, but isn't that pretty much what Houston did with Drew Henson? Or are you talking more like drafting a guy and parking him on your roster for a few years. I think the Skins pretty much ruined the draft a guy and bury him on IR until he develops process.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

Here's a question for us all. In the past, one or two teams could get so good and so deep that they could afford to take a gamble on a risky player (for example, the Cowboys drafted a Navy QB who didn't figure to turn pro - Roger Staubach). Conventional wisdom would tell us that "free agency has changed all that. And with parity, no team is deep enough. Agree? Or Disagree?

NE did it last year with Marquise Hill. Coming out of college the guy was straight up loony with bipolar and scared off a lot of teams becuase of all the meds he was taking and the stunts he had puled in college. No a single team but the Pats would take him in the 2nd round.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
I

Don't recall that the Cowboys were that good when they drafted Staubach....

jmcclain19

Reaction score
I really hope for the Cards sake they do not take this kid.

He showed he didn't have the body to take a full season of pounding at the college level.

How is he going to handle guys who are bigger, stronger and faster?

My money says Clarrett makes someone's roster next year on future talent only, and makes KiJana Carter's NFL career look stellar by comparison.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05