Memo to Dan Le Batard... Eat ****

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
As a columnist, I have a GREAT deal of respect for his talents and his opinions often times make sense.. However, in his words regarding the MVP selection, it not only made zero sense, it was borderline assnine.

Read for yourself..

The link can be found Here however you have to register to view. I will save you the aggrevation and post his column.

Posted on Sun, May. 08, 2005

Unprecedented choice for MVP begs question

DAN LE BATARD

[email protected]

How much of this has to do with race?

A lot?

A little?

Or ''zero,'' as Miami Heat president Pat Riley said before the little white guy beat the big black guy for MVP?

I don't pretend to know these answers. There is no good way to do these measurements with science or math. And I, too, am tired of seeing racism thrown like a Molotov cocktail into discussions where racism doesn't exist.

But don't you have to ask these questions when confronted with something unprecedented?

Or do we just continue laughing and making noise at our playoff cocktail party while ignoring the pinkish elephant standing in the middle of the room in a Nash jersey?

No one who looks or plays like Steve Nash has ever been basketball's MVP. Ever. In the history of the award, a tiny, one-dimensional point guard who plays no defense and averages fewer than 16 points a game never has won it. But Nash just stole Shaquille O'Neal's trophy, even though O'Neal had much better numbers than Nash in just about every individual statistical measurement except assists, so it begs the question:

Is this as black and white as the boxscores that usually decide these things?

Nobody is suggesting voters made their selection while wearing Klan hoods. Today's racism rarely is that overt. It tends to be hidden better than that, as it is with the NBA's proposed age restriction, a rule that would ostensibly affect all creeds and colors but really affects only one.

Does that mean commissioner David Stern is racist? Of course not. But, in that age restriction, he is proposing something that basically affects only black people until the age of 20.

And you can see why blacks might see the prejudice in that, just like Jews might object if there was suddenly a $2,000 tax placed on all flights to Israel.

The rule might apply to everyone flying to Israel, but one group is more likely to see and feel the anti-Semitism in it more than others.

Does it mean that a prejudice exists? Maybe. Maybe not. There are usually other valid explanations, too. But if only one group feels it, it might as well exist. And that's where this MVP discussion gets tricky:

Voters might have simply chosen Nash because he was different and the underdog. And being white is part of what made him those things.

DIFFERENT CHOICE

The book Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell, explores how these measurements aren't made by a conscious part of our brain. Very few people would admit to themselves or others that, yes, as the puppets sing happily in the Broadway show Avenue Q, ''everyone's a little bit racist.'' We don't like what it says about us, or makes us feel. But Blink gives example after scientific example of, say, car dealers in Chicago giving a worse deal to black buyers even though A) white men and women were sent in to the same dealers dressed the same way and giving the same background information and, B) every car dealer in Chicago probably isn't racist.

The car salesmen weren't doing this with a conscious part of their brain any more than the MVP voters might have been. But if you need a tiebreaker (and Shaq and Nash could have certainly been co-MVPs), ''different'' and ''underdog'' might work for you as a rationalization better than, ``I'll take the white guy.''

Who is to say that, given the same stats as Nash, 5-5 Earl Boykins, who is black, may not have gotten the MVP vote, too, because he is so tiny? Or that being white helped Nash no more than being Canadian? But, again, there is no precedent, none, for any of the black guys who have put up Nash's numbers during the years -- and there have been plenty -- winning the MVP.

PLENTY TO ARGUE

There are reasonable arguments to be made on Nash's behalf beyond race. His team jumped from 29 victories to a league-leading 62. Phoenix started 31-4 and, when Nash missed the next five games, it was not only 31-9 but lost. And, for all Miami's winning, this has been the worst statistical year of an O'Neal career that has won him only one MVP.

The argument Stan Van Gundy makes on behalf of O'Neal -- that Dallas improved in Nash's absence and the Lakers collapsed without Shaq -- is a flawed one. We are arguing about value this season, about the value of Shaq and Nash to these teams. And Miami played respectably enough without Shaq while Phoenix, in a smaller sample size, crumbled without Nash. Nash's team won three more games than Shaq's and, if you must use last season, Nash's present franchise improved more from one season to the next than Shaq's did.

I would have voted for Shaq, but I understand the argument of those who didn't.

A vote for Nash is a vote for the little guy, the underdog, the point guard, the assist, unselfishness and Phoenix's breathtaking style of play.

And, by coincidence or not, the white guy, too.

And this is an issue Dan exactly WHY?

Here's the simple facts..

Last year, prior to Nash's re-arrival in the Valley of the Sun, Phoenix won 29 games.. 29.. Lottery Bound.. El Stinko.. Call it whatever you want to call it, the Suns were on the bottom of the NBA barrell.

Fast forward 12 months.. The Suns, now WITH Nash won 61 games.. A 32 game improvement.. A true worst-to-first story.

Not only are they not in the lottery, but they (gasp, gasp) have the BEST RECORD IN BASKETBALL.. Even BETTER than your beloved Heat.

Yes, you take Shaq off Miami and you have Dewayne Wade and a bunch of mid-level talents. Yes, Phoenix has more talent in their starting 5 than Miami does. However, who's the straw that stirred the drink? Just like the Revolutionary Army wouldn't have gelled without Washington as general in the Revolutionary War, the Suns wouldn't have gelled as well as they did without Nash leading the charge. This isn't to say the Suns don't have talent, far from it. I'll put that starting five against ANYONE's.. However, if it was just a matter of talent, Phoenix would have won it all last year with Marbury and Barbosa at the starting PG slot.

Frankly, it's crap like this that stirs the pot and causes uneasy feelings throughout America.. I'd like to believe that we've moved beyond the ill feelings of the 60s and the vile crap fest known as segregagation where people are judged by the color of their skin. I'd tend to believe that the NBA moved past that nonsense in the late 50s/60s.

Trust me, this isn't a racially motivated post.. Not by a long shot.. This isn't a race thing, a color thing an anything thing.. Had Shaq won the MVP award, I certainly wouldn't have argued the fact. In all honesty, if I had my way, I'd have given the award to BOTH men because you really can't do any justice giving it to just one.

So yes, maybe Shaq's accomplisments in the 2004-05 season were "ignored" as the powers that be instead chose to give the award to Nash.. However, to call the decision racially motivated, or to even insinuate it was, really is not only unfounded but it's outright rediculous and quite assnine. Why make this something it's not? Why not just state you feel Shaq deserved it more and give totals/reasons why rather than digging up bad bones that don't need to be unearthed??

cly2tw

Reaction score
Snake said:
The argument Stan Van Gundy makes on behalf of O'Neal -- that Dallas improved in Nash's absence and the Lakers collapsed without Shaq -- is a flawed one. We are arguing about value this season, about the value of Shaq and Nash to these teams. And Miami played respectably enough without Shaq while Phoenix, in a smaller sample size, crumbled without Nash. Nash's team won three more games than Shaq's and, if you must use last season, Nash's present franchise improved more from one season to the next than Shaq's did.

SVG's logic is flawed bigtime, but for a different reason. The failure and success of a player's former team in the new season has more to do with the old team's management than anything else. Suppose the Lakers had traded Shaq for Ben and Rasheed from the Pistons, while the latter then unexplicably sent him to Miami for the bunch of losers the Lakers originally got, Lakers would be the team to beat in the West. As a matter of fact, were I the manager of them, I'd just wait one year for Shaq's contract ot expire and use the 20mil cap instead of getting the losers in Odom/Butler/Grant.Geez! And for the Mavs, they had enough depth and thus manuverability and management savvy to find the fitting piece after Nash left. At the very least, it says that Mavs have enough veteran leadership in Dirk/Fins/Stack that Nash's impact there was not truly essential. Yet, for the talented but young Suns' team, our improvement shows his incredible value to US, and only this value to us is and should be relevant for the MVP award.

asudevil83

Reaction score
i cant wait until this whole thing blows over. i'd say that 90% of the columnists, sportswriters, analysts, and broadcasters need to get their heads out of the asses and write about stuff that fans care about.

Political Correctness has INVADED the nba over the past year, and EVERY FRICKEN THING is controversial in one way or another....not because it really is, but someone out there finds a way to make it.

i'm sick and tired of this crap.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Dan's arguement that the MVP is based on numbers, then Iverson was the MVP hands down.

Statistics don't tell the whole story.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
This article is so ridiculous that I had to stop reading it after first couple of paragraphs...

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
car dealers in Chicago giving a worse deal to black buyers even though A) white men and women were sent in to the same dealers dressed the same way and giving the same background information

I wonder whether anyone takes this "study" seriously. Negotiating the price for a car is (at most dealerships) a complicated bargaining process, requiring a range of skills, one of which is self-confidence. It wouldn't surprise me at all if blacks in Chicago tend to be less self-confident than whites of equal means, because obviously racism in big cities is wide-spread. One cannot conclude, however, that the dealers are showing any racism if they tend to give better deals to better bargainers.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This article is not the one that exposed Dan Le Bastard. He has a history of them. The guy is a bonafide moron. What would you expect from a guy who wrote and claimed the " Cubans " were the reason the Marlins won the World Series.

Being a grad of the U of Miami and the resident columnist at the Miami Herald and the host of his own South Florida radio show, we just can't seem to get rid of this clown.

Glad we could share his antics. :sarcasm:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wrote him a scathing email...this is an utter joke....he writes about racism, but one of the big reasons racism is still around is because people like him finding racism anywhere they look...

The last 17 MVP's have been black...so one white guy wins it and it's racism?

Unbelievable...

Mike

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
words can't even express how dumb this article is. It is nothing more than someone TRYING to stir up controvesy.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wrote me back:

"thanks for the kind words, and for reading."

Lame...I wrote him back again:

"Your response was about as intelligent as your article"

:D

Mike

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
He wrote me back:

"thanks for the kind words, and for reading."

I guess as far as the Miami Hearlad is concerned, he is doing his job. So I can see why he'd thank you for reading.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NickelBack said:
I guess as far as the Miami Hearlad is concerned, he is doing his job. So I can see why he'd thank you for reading.

Yeah, but I had no kind words, and he didn't address any of my points...

He's a turd :)

Mike

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
Yeah, but I had no kind words

But you responded. That's what columnists are paid, in part, to get people to do.

Chandler Mike said:
he didn't address any of my points...

Auto-responses generally don't.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NickelBack said:
But you responded. That's what columnists are paid, in part, to get people to do.

Auto-responses generally don't.

Bah, I'm still annoyed with him...

Maybe it was auto-response...didn't seem like it being just one line.

But who cares, I feel better anyways letter him know what I thought...

Mike

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wrote Dan and told that it wasn't racist, rather it was 'un-American' because they gave the award to a player born outside the USA.

He wrote back and said: "thanks for the kind words, and for reading."

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
heh .. i'm a marlins fan so I spend a lot of time on their board and with heat fans

heat fans also see this article as ******** and some sent e-mails that garnered intelligent replies

his nickname in the FL circle is LeRetard

his whole nature is to inflame ... he has skill with words, but aside from that he writes mainly garbage

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
As a matter of fact, were I the manager of them, I'd just wait one year for Shaq's contract ot expire and use the 20mil cap instead of getting the losers in Odom/Butler/Grant.Geez!

We could not do that. Even with Shaq's numbers off the books, the team is at or over the salary cap, so it isn't replaceable money. In fact, by trading one monster contract for three smaller ones, they can be more easily dealt and add components to the team.

You see, no matter what the Lakers were stuck, and the Big Lazy wouldn't have shown up to play all season anyway, driving Kobe out. The team would have been even worse.

But the Lakers have no cap space. They can extend current players, trade for them, use the LLE and the MLE, but they aren't in the FA market. And they won't be for a long time...and that's fine.

The NBA has the most complicated free agency/salary cap rules around.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
i cant wait until this whole thing blows over. i'd say that 90% of the columnists, sportswriters, analysts, and broadcasters need to get their heads out of the asses and write about stuff that fans care about.

Political Correctness has INVADED the nba over the past year, and EVERY FRICKEN THING is controversial in one way or another....not because it really is, but someone out there finds a way to make it.

i'm sick and tired of this crap.

Agreed. Just let it go. It means nothig in the grand scheme of things.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
We could not do that. Even with Shaq's numbers off the books, the team is at or over the salary cap, so it isn't replaceable money. In fact, by trading one monster contract for three smaller ones, they can be more easily dealt and add components to the team.

You see, no matter what the Lakers were stuck, and the Big Lazy wouldn't have shown up to play all season anyway, driving Kobe out. The team would have been even worse.

But the Lakers have no cap space. They can extend current players, trade for them, use the LLE and the MLE, but they aren't in the FA market. And they won't be for a long time...and that's fine.

The NBA has the most complicated free agency/salary cap rules around.

actually - what the Lakers should have done was pretty plain and simple - you trade Kobe at mid-season last year. You could have gotten enough pieces to continue on with Shaq and be a title contender for the next 4 years. Instead - Buss sucked up to his little angel and the Lakers won't recover fvrom it for at least a half a decade. Everyone knew there were problems in LA from the second last season started with the war of words before training camp. Hell - Karl Malone all of a sudden became the "good guy" in LA because those two babies couldn't stand each other.

If Kupchak was smart, that would have been the way to go - reload the team with Shaq as the centerpiece and a new - deferntial swingman and probably another good role player for Kobe. Phil would have stayed - Shaq would have been motivated to wina title without Kobe and all would have been fine in LaLa land - thank God Kupchak is an idiotl.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I thought a knowledgeable sports fan like Cheese would be able to see the only obvious choice the Lakers had was to trade Shaq. They had their choice between an aging center who came into every season overweight and only seemed to give a crap in the playoffs or a whiny perimeter player who works his ass off and happens to be one of the best players in the league. Lakers screwed up by not getting a superstar in return for Shaq. Don't worry Lakers fans, you'll be back. David Stern will see to it.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I thought a knowledgeable sports fan like Cheese would be able to see the only obvious choice the Lakers had was to trade Shaq. They had their choice between an aging center who came into every season overweight and only seemed to give a crap in the playoffs or a whiny perimeter player who works his ass off and happens to be one of the best players in the league. Lakers screwed up by not getting a superstar in return for Shaq. Don't worry Lakers fans, you'll be back. David Stern will see to it.

I'd rather have Shaq. How many dominant centers are there in the league and how many high scoring swingmen are there?

jibikao

Reaction score
I have this stupid question.

We start seeing all those "Nash is NOT the MVP" articles from the writers.

So WHO voted Nash? I thought it's the media that voted Nash?

So why all the back-slashing?? If they didn't feel Nash deserves it, why vote him in the first place?

I really don't understand this. I mean Nash didn't vote for himself!!! They can bitch all they want about Nash but Nash had nothing to do with the voting.

Many Laker fans said Shaq is very classless and I thought they were just hating him but I am really starting to dislike Shaq. Yes, Shaq is GREAT but so is other players like Duncan, KG, Dirk and T-MAC. You don't hear them BITCHING that much. I mean RESPECT for god's sake. Nash already won it and his Heat is not even the #1 team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

eh - I go back and forth on the issue all the time actually. I DO think that the Lakes could have stayed clsoe to the top of the league by trading Bryant - but I DID think once the Finals ended that the only way to slavage any hope for the future was trading Shaq. Either way - I'm happy that the Lakers suck ass right now.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
eh - I go back and forth on the issue all the time actually. I DO think that the Lakes could have stayed clsoe to the top of the league by trading Bryant - but I DID think once the Finals ended that the only way to slavage any hope for the future was trading Shaq. Either way - I'm happy that the Lakers suck ass right now.

:biglaugh:

:thumbup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05