Memo to Dan Le Batard... Eat ****

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
actually - what the Lakers should have done was pretty plain and simple - you trade Kobe at mid-season last year. You could have gotten enough pieces to continue on with Shaq and be a title contender for the next 4 years. Instead - Buss sucked up to his little angel and the Lakers won't recover fvrom it for at least a half a decade. Everyone knew there were problems in LA from the second last season started with the war of words before training camp. Hell - Karl Malone all of a sudden became the "good guy" in LA because those two babies couldn't stand each other.

If Kupchak was smart, that would have been the way to go - reload the team with Shaq as the centerpiece and a new - deferntial swingman and probably another good role player for Kobe. Phil would have stayed - Shaq would have been motivated to wina title without Kobe and all would have been fine in LaLa land - thank God Kupchak is an idiotl.

yeah, there are a few problems with this idea.

1. Kobe Bryant's value could not have been lower than it was just before the trade deadline last year. He was about to become a free agent, and he was about to be tried for rape. They might have still gotten a few decent players but not anywhere near the worth of Kobe Bryant.

2. Shaquille O'Neal wanted a monstrous contract extension... the max. He was unwilling to settle for much less. That was at least as big an issue as Kobe Bryant's feelings.

3. Even if the Lakers had been able to get some decent role players for Kobe Bryant and kept a motivated Shaq They would not have the weapons to win a title. They wouldn't even get home-court advantage in the Western Conference.

Joe

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
2. Shaquille O'Neal wanted a monstrous contract extension... the max. He was unwilling to settle for much less. That was at least as big an issue as Kobe Bryant's feelings.

Actually he wanted more ... a lot more than the max. IIRC he was asking for $30 million per year and since he was "grandfathered" in before the current CBA he is eligible to make it.

In truth, they really didn't have that much of a choice in the matter. The situation was ugly and they viewed Kobe as more of a long term answer ... Shaq isn't going to play that much longer (a few more seasons maybe). Like Mao said Stern will not allow the Lakers to wallow in misery for long and they will be competitive once Brian Grant's $15 million per year salary is gone (How Brian Grant makes $15 million per year is still beyond me ... man the Trailblazers are dumb).

League wide fans can still enjoy the lakers' misery for at least a little while longer anyways.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WizardOfAz said:
Just like he did with the Knicks!?!

The NBA seems more prone to conspiracy theories than any other pro sports league. LeBatard's column is too stupid to qualify as a conspiracy theory.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
yeah, there are a few problems with this idea....

4. The Lakers were still prime title contenders. You don't trade a superstar mid-season when you're close to a championship, no matter what kind of ugly off-season you're going to be facing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:

4. The Lakers were still prime title contenders. You don't trade a superstar mid-season when you're close to a championship, no matter what kind of ugly off-season you're going to be facing.

The Hawks traded Dominque for Danny Manning when they had the best record in the East back in 1995 - The Sixers busted up their core for Mutombo when they had the best record in the league back in 2001. I know these guys aren't Kobe Bryant - but it's not like HUGE trades haven't happened on teams that were leading the league in wins and title contenders. It would have beena bold move, but it could have saved the franchise AND allowed them to continue to compete for the title.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
The Hawks traded Dominque for Danny Manning when they had the best record in the East back in 1995 - The Sixers busted up their core for Mutombo when they had the best record in the league back in 2001. I know these guys aren't Kobe Bryant - but it's not like HUGE trades haven't happened on teams that were leading the league in wins and title contenders. It would have beena bold move, but it could have saved the franchise AND allowed them to continue to compete for the title.

come on cheese. There's a huge difference there. Those were moves that were made to make the team better for that season and and beyond. There's no way the Lakers were going to get players in return for Kobe Bryant with the problems we mentioned that were going to help them win a championship that year.

Gary Payton and Karl Malone with both be justified in gunning down Buss and Mitch K. if they had traded Bryant at that point. They were the team to beat for the championship until Karl Malone reinjured his knee against Minnesota.

elindholm said:

I knew I had one more reason, but I just couldn't remember what it was. Thanks.

Joe Mama

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
come on cheese. There's a huge difference there. Those were moves that were made to make the team better for that season and and beyond. There's no way the Lakers were going to get players in return for Kobe Bryant with the problems we mentioned that were going to help them win a championship that year.

Gary Payton and Karl Malone with both be justified in gunning down Buss and Mitch K. if they had traded Bryant at that point. They were the team to beat for the championship until Karl Malone reinjured his knee against Minnesota.

I knew I had one more reason, but I just couldn't remember what it was. Thanks.

Joe Mama

yeah - it's not a great argument - or even a very good one - but if you're talking about making the team better for the beyond - being able to keep Shaq and getting something for Kobe and being able to keep Phil could still be construed as looking towards the future while keeping the team continually competitive. And hell - those moves made by the Hawks and Sixers were horrid moves for the long term - the Hawks didn't even get to keep Manning and whimpered out of the playoffs in the second round even though they were the number one seed and the Sixers were already well on their way to the Finals in the Leastern Conference - and young - before mortgaging their future for Deke - after that year - they fell apart, much like the Hawks.

But - regardless - it's not a very strong argument - I just need SOMETHING to occupy my time while counting the minutes until this freaking game starts!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assface said:
I'd rather have Shaq. How many dominant centers are there in the league and how many high scoring swingmen are there?

Shaq will be out of the league in 2 more years. Trust me, I've had Shaq since 96...I've had enough. I'm very happy with the changing of the guard because I'd rather have 2 down years and another decade of contention than 2 more years of contention followed by a long, long rebuilding period where you don't have Shaq or Kobe and just have scrubs.

The Lakers came out of this in the best way they could, given the circumstances. We'll get a PG (Felton hopefully) in the draft, and probably end up trading Caron or Lamar for a PF...Boozer has been rumored. Add a stable coach, and the Lakers are in the playoffs next year.

That wouldn't have happened with Shaq and scrubs, year 2...bigger, fatter, and less dedicated.

I'd rather have a cocky, tries to do to much, hard working winner than a fat, out of shape, lazy, unmotivated, underachieving dominating force. The Pistons last year exposed Shaq hardcore...the fact that he allowed himself to be outrebounded by Wallace was terrible. The fact that he needs two days rest between games to be effective is stupid. Tex Winter doesn't even like the guy, and that comes from Phil Jackson's own book.

Read Mad Game by Lazenby for an understanding of the Kobe/Shaq relationship..that started from DAY ONE. The fact that it was until last season started before Kobe blew his top is a testament to how much he put up with from the Big Loudmouth. I would have gone off on Shaq in '99 at the latest. Kobe's far more of a team player than anyone gives him credit for...even Phil has said as much...he has done what has been asked of him all the time, sacrificing his game for the team, only to be bashed because the Shaq-jocking media prefers his mumbling jr. high humor to actually doing reporting.

Drop D

Striving for the Penultimate
Reaction score
Great to see Charles Barkley to call out Le Bastard. He said that his story was "asinine."

Damn Xenophobe Le Bastard. I guess we should all "Blame Canada!":D

-Dennis

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
If Dan's arguement that the MVP is based on numbers, then Iverson was the MVP hands down.

Statistics don't tell the whole story.

Exactly.. If numbers were the key figure in deternining who wins the MVP, then you may as well engrave Iverson's name on the trophy and plan on keeping it there for the next five years.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Interesting and so appropriate that Dan's family name: Le Batard" means:"the bastard" in French... :D

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Snake said:

Or do we just continue laughing and making noise at our playoff cocktail party while ignoring the pinkish elephant standing in the middle of the room in a Nash jersey?

No one who looks or plays like Steve Nash has ever been basketball's MVP. Ever. In the history of the award, a tiny, one-dimensional point guard who plays no defense and averages fewer than 16 points a game never has won it. But Nash just stole Shaquille O'Neal's trophy...

Man Lebatard you are one dumb mo fo!!! :biglaugh:

AZZenny

Reaction score
I really, REALLY would like to see him write a crow-poop-eating retraction. A groveling, self-debasing, humiliated apology. Maybe we should flood his newspaper and ESPN with emails. Because he disrespected our guy, and our guy has more heart than Shaq has shoe size.

RichDawg

Reaction score
Hey, don't be so harsh on Le Bas ****, guys. He makes a good point for O'Neal. Didn't Shaq put up some MVP numbers to win games 3 & 4 for the Heat against the Wizards? If it weren't for his heroics, Miami might be locked up in a 7 game series war.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go praise Dirk Nowitzki for his team leadership during this series...

:biglaugh:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RichDawg said:
Hey, don't be so harsh on Le Bas ****, guys. He makes a good point for O'Neal. Didn't Shaq put up some MVP numbers to win games 3 & 4 for the Heat against the Wizards? If it weren't for his heroics, Miami might be locked up in a 7 game series war.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go praise Dirk Nowitzki for his team leadership during this series...

:biglaugh:

Couldn't agree with you more on the O'Neal/Wizards disappearing act, but have to disagree with you on the Dirk take.

Who in Hell was going to shake those new Mavericks up. Jason Terry brain farted on the 3 point shot to end regulation. All the clown had to do was foul the shooter, but he was too dumb to figure that out. Dampier was a terrible acquisition. Jerry Stackhouse was Jerry Stackhouse. Greedy, selfish, shoot any shot he could invent. Mark Cuban blew it on the non signing of Nash and the L'il General is a huge flop. Why shouldn't Dirk be pisssssst? The best thing that could happen for Dirk would be a trade to the Suns.

P.S. Dan Le Bas **** has made a career out of latching on to one of his local " heroes " and smooching him up . Miami based writer with a penchant for talking up the local talent and bashing the out of town boys. Gets "inside info" with his style a la Ricky Williams. He is an ass clown.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05