Mike Sando's Off-Season Priorities: Cardinals

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Spot on, imo. Look at the #1 priority: QB. I agree.

1. Prepare QB contingencies

Palmer is 35 years old and coming off his second torn ACL in the same knee. Backup Stanton suffered a knee injury late in the year. Ryan Lindley is not the future, and 2014 draft pick Logan Thomas remains a developmental player.

Palmer will return as the starter, and he has the contract to prove it, but can the Cardinals simply bank on him making it through a 16-game schedule? Would they feel OK going with Stanton over a long stretch if necessary, possibly to start the season if Palmer isn't ready? Where does Thomas fit into their plans?

It's possible the team could start 2015 with the same three QBs on the depth chart, but the Cards should at least pursue possible backup options. This roster has some age on it, and the team showed during the stretch run how much it could struggle without Palmer.

2. Revitalize the LB position

The Cardinals lacked speed at linebacker after parting with Karlos Dansby in free agency and losing Daryl Washington to a yearlong suspension. Larry Foote filled in admirably, but he is an aging player who lacked the speed to chase down plays. That was one of the reasons Arizona struggled against mobile quarterbacks.

The Cardinals know they cannot count on Washington. They do have a young inside linebacker in Kevin Minter, but he hasn't factored in their sub packages. Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson aren't leaving the division. Arizona needs to find ways to keep up with them at linebacker in particular.

3. Figure out Fitz's future

Receiver Larry Fitzgerald has a contract scheduled to count $23.6 million against the salary cap in 2015. Fitzgerald remains a valuable contributor even though his receiving numbers are down. He has been a willing and ferocious blocker, sometimes even taking on defensive ends such as Robert Quinn and powerful safeties such as Kam Chancellor. He sets a standard for effort and professionalism. He has also shown an ability to make important catches when the team has a viable quarterback on the field.

Still, that $23.6 million cap figure is troubling. Can the Cardinals find a way to make Fitzgerald's contract work?

4. Upgrade the run blocking

Arizona has a pair of capable pass-blocking tackles in Jared Veldheer and Bobby Massie, but neither has shown much as a run-blocker. There are no indications 2013 first-round pick Jonathan Cooper is going to become a dominant guard, or even a very good one.

Arizona also lacks quality blocking tight ends, a big problem for an offense that does not feature a fullback. The result is a running game stuck in neutral. Can the Cardinals upgrade their run-blocking personnel to better compete against the rugged defensive fronts they face in the NFC West?

5. Are the Cardinals getting too old?

Arizona went into the postseason with the NFL's second-oldest roster in terms of average age. The Cardinals have relied pretty heavily on older role players such as Foote, Tommy Kelly, Frostee Rucker and John Carlson. They would have relied heavily on Darnell Dockett and John Abraham if they had remained available. Can they remain competitive while going younger? Do they have to get younger to remain competitive? Those are questions for coach Bruce Arians and general manager Steve Keim to consider this offseason.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The 5th item is ridiculous.

Injuries to starters forced older vets to come in and play more snaps than what was planned.

You have to start really turning over stones, and licking the moss to stretch this topic the way Sando did, but hey, he has to write something , I guess.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
The 5th item is ridiculous.

Injuries to starters forced older vets to come in and play more snaps than what was planned.

You have to start really turning over stones, and licking the moss to stretch this topic the way Sando did, but hey, he has to write something , I guess.

That's not really the case. Many of the injuries actually caused our roster to get younger overall. The age of some of our key players is a legitimate concern.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That's not really the case. Many of the injuries actually caused our roster to get younger overall. The age of some of our key players is a legitimate concern.

I would disagree. Fitzgerald, Palmer, Dockett, and who? 35 isn't old for a QB anymore, and Palmer can still play. Would you like to be younger? Yes, but the league seems to be full of young, average QBs. Dockett helps the defense, but they were still productive without him. This team has signed older, low cost FAs to help it's younger players prove they deserve larger roles. Stinson, Mauro, Martin, and Okafor are proof of how you can develop younger players, get the game snaps, and then allow their roles to grow when they prove capable. Fitz, his production was detailed earlier. He is an asset, but I'm not sure the offense loses significantly if he moved on.

This roster needs work, but that goes with most rosters in the NFL. Could our QB situation go off the rails again in 2015? Sure, but that could happen anywhere.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

OK.

QB - Yes, old. Carson Palmer is old. Stanton is no spring chicken but as QB's go, he is not old either. Logan Thomas is very young.

RB - No running backs over 30, oldest I believe is Robert Hughes at 26.

WR - Larry Fitzgerald is 30 years old, Tedd Ginn, Jr is going to turn 30 this year, the rest are 25 years old or younger.

TE - John Carlson is 30, the rest are very young.

OL - Lyle Sendlein is 30 years old, the next oldest slated to start next year, Jared Veldheer at 27 yrs old.

NT - Don't know who it will be, but Dan Williams is young. Alameda Ta'amu is 24 years old.

DE - Dockett is old, but we don't even know if he is going to start, Ed Stinson is slated to be his predecessor, and he is young. Campbell is 28 years old.

OLB - Alex Okafor is young, Matt Shaughnessy is 28 years old.

ILB - We don't even know who will be playing here, Minter, Carson, Demens, and Washington are all young. Foote is a free agent.

CB - Peterson is young, Jerraud Powers is the oldest CB under contract at 27 years old

S - Rashad Johnson is the oldest saftey on the roster at 29 years old.

I don't see the age problem, just sayin'

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
You can toss out number 1 as well. How many teams had a productive 3rd string QB? I'd agree Lindley is weak, but not sure they can carry 4 QBs. The real issue is Thomas. The fact they felt better bringing in Lindley speaks volumes. He's essentially a dead spot on the roster, which is a huge gamble. I didn't like the pick and I don't like the gamble.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i hope sendlein wont be pur starter next season
the same for fanaika and larsen
i would sign franklin
and making cooper our center

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be sick if Lindley is on the Cardinals roster next season.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I will be sick if Lindley is on the Cardinals roster next season.

Last year, BA mentioned him when talking about his "QB room."

This off-season thus far, BA has not included him in the discussion.

Lindley should do what Skelton just did---go sign with a team in the CFL and go prove he can play QB at the professional level.

Plus, I have heard that BA likes aspects of the other young QB in the room, Jeff Mathews. And it would not surprise me at all if we see a surprising move at QB if the situation presents itself.

Right now BA can't say anything to tip his hand, but the guy is too competitive not to be thinking about every and all options.

For example, you just know he would love to get his hands on Ben Roethlisberger one more time. If there was a feasible way to get that done he would do it in a snap of the fingers.