missing thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
They also might be bringing these guys in if they think they might not be drafted at all.

So true.

IMO, however, I think the Suns are spending way too much time evaluating players that appear to be destined to be picked in the second round if they are not considering moving into the second round.

I really think the Suns are leaning this direction in some way, shape or form.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the time they aren't even bringing in these other players because they want to evaluate them so badly. It's because they need to have somebody playing against the guys they really like. Sure, they'll scout them while they're there. Maybe they'll find somebody they want to acquire a second round pick to get, but these guys main purpose is to provide some competition for the real prospects.

Joe

Nash

Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Draftnet presently has McNamara rated as the last pick in the second round and Diaz rated at #45. Apparently both can play PG. This year's different draft sites have many players rated all over the board.

I don't think SG is the Suns greatest need but McNamara sounds more like a PG anyway. I've never seen him play so I really don't have an opinion but he sounds like a reasonable second round pick. Also I'm not sure about Diaz unless he is seen by the Suns as being able to play PG better than Barbosa.
Being from a Big East basketball school, I've seen quite a bit of Gerry McNamara. By a strange twist late in the season, my team (Bearcats) and Syracuse got to play each other more often than expected, such as in the Big East tournament. We split the regular season 1-1 with Syracuse and were cruising to a 73-71 win over them in the first round of the BEast tournament. With like 2 seconds to go in the game, McNamara threw a hail Mary from near half court and made it. That totally sunk my team and Syracuse stole the win with that lucky break.

But then Gerry stepped up his game in the next 2 games and made 2 legit buzzer beaters in the next few games, beating UConn , Georgetown and Pitt to win the BEast championship. He was named the BEast Most Outstanding player of the week.

He's a very dangerous player - he scored 22 points in the second half in the first season game against us.
He ranks 2nd in APG in BEast - 5.92
No. 1 in FT % - 90.2
Top 10 in PPG - 16.0

He is something like a legend in Syracuse basketball. Bus loads of people used to flock to teh Carrier dome to watch him play. For his final home game, 65 bus loads of people from his hometwon Scranton came to cheer him on.

I don't remember observing how good his PG skills were because he was a perennial offensive threat.
His low draft ratings, I think is one of those cases of ignoring some good players in the draft while hyping up lesser players.

Rondo seems pretty excited about Phoenix considering him. Wonder if Suns mgmt has plans afoot to steal him somehow in the draft. So long as opponents don't do a 'hack a rondo' we should have a good pick. He sucks even at FT shooting.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Most of the time they aren't even bringing in these other players because they want to evaluate them so badly. It's because they need to have somebody playing against the guys they really like. Sure, they'll scout them while they're there. Maybe they'll find somebody they want to acquire a second round pick to get, but these guys main purpose is to provide some competition for the real prospects.

Joe

Have any idea who the "real prospects" the Suns might be looking evaluating?

I haven't really heard of any of the more highly regarded prospects names that the Suns are bringing in to look. The names I have heard seem mainly destined for selection in the second round. However, after the first 17 picks or so the prospects seem to be rated all over the mock draft sites.

I know I definitely want a backup PG for Nash and another 4/5 type player for the Suns to add in the off season. This is not even taking into consideration the Suns may be able to keep TT.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash said:
Being from a Big East basketball school, I've seen quite a bit of Gerry McNamara. By a strange twist late in the season, my team (Bearcats) and Syracuse got to play each other more often than expected, such as in the Big East tournament. We split the regular season 1-1 with Syracuse and were cruising to a 73-71 win over them in the first round of the BEast tournament. With like 2 seconds to go in the game, McNamara threw a hail Mary from near half court and made it. That totally sunk my team and Syracuse stole the win with that lucky break.

But then Gerry stepped up his game in the next 2 games and made 2 legit buzzer beaters in the next few games, beating UConn , Georgetown and Pitt to win the BEast championship. He was named the BEast Most Outstanding player of the week.

He's a very dangerous player - he scored 22 points in the second half in the first season game against us.
He ranks 2nd in APG in BEast - 5.92
No. 1 in FT % - 90.2
Top 10 in PPG - 16.0

He is something like a legend in Syracuse basketball. Bus loads of people used to flock to teh Carrier dome to watch him play. For his final home game, 65 bus loads of people from his hometwon Scranton came to cheer him on.

I don't remember observing how good his PG skills were because he was a perennial offensive threat.
His low draft ratings, I think is one of those cases of ignoring some good players in the draft while hyping up lesser players.

Rondo seems pretty excited about Phoenix considering him. Wonder if Suns mgmt has plans afoot to steal him somehow in the draft. So long as opponents don't do a 'hack a rondo' we should have a good pick. He sucks even at FT shooting.

If Gerry can play PG (I believe draftnet describes him as such), I'd being willing to bring him in for a look see. I think a lot of second round picks in this draft are going to be as good or better than some first round selections.

I understand, if I recall correctly that Rondo is very quick. However, if he can not hit his outside shots and shoots FT's poorly as well, this is worrisome. Often a player's inability to shoot FTs is indicative of their ability to shoot the outside shot. There are exceptions that I can remember, like Karl Malone. But then there are the Bo Outlaws of the world. :)

It almost sounds like Rondo might be a young Robert Pack or Avery Johnson type of player except perhaps taller... which would not be bad.

I now see draftnet compares him to Mookie Blalock who I liked as well.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05