Mitch Mock V. 7.0

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This draft is growing increasingly frustrating for me. There are no "sure things" like Fitz, which sucks for a team picking in the top 5. At the same time, all the trade downs feel like we end up taking 2nd round talent in the first round. I really hope a CBA gets worked out and there's a free agency, because I just don't see us getting much immediate impact from this draft class.

There are some sure things, but you have adjust what you are looking for.

Patrick Peterson is a sure fire football player, be it at CB or S. He makes plays in coverage, can be physical in run support, and is dynamic in the return game.

Von Miller is a sure fire pass rusher. He might struggle at point of attack, but he will get you sacks. With as many spread teams as their are anymore, I am ok with the one dimension that he brings.

Marcel Dareus is a sure fire contributor inside, and might be the best DT/DE out there. If there is a player that the Pats would trade up for it is Dareus.

Both AJ Green and Julio Jones will surely spark the offense that they will go to. Both will contribute sooner rather than later which is rare for WR's.

Justin Houston is surely the closest thing to LaMarr Woodley in this draft in terms is size and experience coming from college to the Pros as a OLB prospect.

These are players whose production they displayed in college will be nearest to what they will asked to do in the Pros.

You want a guy to generate a pass rush from a two point stance, then your best bet is to take a guy who generated a pass rush from a two point stance in college.

You want a physical presence in the secondary that can allow you to do different coverage schemes, then you take a secondary player that brings a physical presence and can handle multiple assignments.

If you want an impact WR that can stretch the field, then you take a WR who has proven the ability to stretch the field in college.

It is the same with intangibles. If you want a player who is a hard worker or a is a leader, then you should target players who have shown this ability in college. You have a far better chance at getting a guy with that ability then just taking a player who hasn't proven to be a hard worker or a leader, and hoping he suddenly demonstrates it when he is a pro.

Last edited:

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
There are some sure things, but you have adjust what you are looking for.

Patrick Peterson is a sure fire football player, be it at CB or S. He makes plays in coverage, can be physical in run support, and is dynamic in the return game.

Von Miller is a sure fire pass rusher. He might struggle at point of attack, but he will get you sacks. With as many spread teams as their are anymore, I am ok with the one dimension that he brings.

Marcel Dareus is a sure fire contributor inside, and might be the best DT/DE out there. If there is a player that the Pats would trade up for it is Dareus.

Both AJ Green and Julio Jones will surely spark the offense that they will go to. Both will contribute sooner rather than later which is rare for WR's.

Justin Houston is surely the closest thing to LaMarr Woodley in this draft in terms is size and experience coming from college to the Pros as a OLB prospect.

Ok, I agree there are a few sure things, but most of them are at positions that we don't need that badly. Peterson, while tempting, is only a marginal upgrade for next year and doesn't get us back into contention right away. Same for Green and Julio Jones. I used to be a pure BPA guy, but right now our team is very good at some positions (DL, WR) and horrible at others. It just feels like all the guys that we "should" take if we want to feel good about the pick, are guys that don't really upgrade the team that much next season. Then we end up with severe depth problems. Some positions will be stacked and there won't be any true starters.

In bold is who I want. He will instantly make us a much better defense. He's the only guy in this draft that I am confident I can say that about. All the other players may end up being superstars, but they either don't have a sure starting job on our roster, or they have serious question marks. Honestly, if Von Miller isn't on the board at #5, I start looking to trade down. If a CBA is in place, that might be when I call Philly and offer to flip picks for Kolb and maybe some other stuff that makes the trade equitable for both teams.

Yes that's quite a big drop, but we get an instant upgrade at QB and there will still be plenty of pass rushers in the late first/early second.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

I'm worried he is Rolle part 2. Adding a pass rush makes our secondary better

We possibly already have Miller in a bigger Shoefield. I like Millers athleticism just not at as a 3-4 OLB. IMO we need to get bigger at OLB & feel the LOLB is that guy

I would take either on the Cards roster...but I'm crossing my fingers the Redbirds can get OSU's Justin Blackmon next year!!!

IMO Houston would take the Cards D to another level on the playing field...he's Woodley with more speed & fills the need at LOLB

These are players whose production they displayed in college will be nearest to what they will asked to do in the Pros.

You want a guy to generate a pass rush from a two point stance, then your best bet is to take a guy who generated a pass rush from a two point stance in college.

You want a physical presence in the secondary that can allow you to do different coverage schemes, then you take a secondary player that brings a physical presence and can handle multiple assignments.

If you want an impact WR that can stretch the field, then you take a WR who has proven the ability to stretch the field in college.

It is the same with intangibles. If you want a player who is a hard worker or a is a leader, then you should target players who have shown this ability in college. You have a far better chance at getting a guy with that ability then just taking a player who hasn't proven to be a hard worker or a leader, and hoping he suddenly demonstrates it when he is a pro.

Well said & probably a good philosophy

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Really great work-up Mitch. You really made the most of your possibilities. One question I would have though, is why pass on Kaepernick at the early stages of round two, where you have two picks available, thus taking no QB in the draft at all.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hey anytimeuwant---

But...all this aside...anyone who watched Fairley last year saw one of the most dominating college DTs in the last few years. Will this carry over to the pros?

Full agreement Mitch. I am (was and still is!!) a big Moffit fan but your reason convinced me. Moffit is going to make some OL coach a happy dude somewhere. By the way the safest pick in the draft is the LSU kid in my book. I just hope the "dark suits" don't go soft if cba is not signed and take one of those 2/3 round quarterbacks with so called potential. For the 100th time...pay the price if they must, take Kolb cause Fox/Elway ain't gonna' let Orton go and the rest of the crop are all yes but types. there is going to be a long line for teams trying to get Kolb...let's see what happens.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I'm hearing AJ Green will not slip past Cinncy.

Pats might trade with them.

Given a scenario we can't trade out or no good offers, what do you do with the #5?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I'm worried he is Rolle part 2. Adding a pass rush makes our secondary better

We possibly already have Miller in a bigger Shoefield. I like Millers athleticism just not at as a 3-4 OLB. IMO we need to get bigger at OLB & feel the LOLB is that guy

I would take either on the Cards roster...but I'm crossing my fingers the Redbirds can get OSU's Justin Blackmon next year!!!

IMO Houston would take the Cards D to another level on the playing field...he's Woodley with more speed & fills the need at LOLB

Well said & probably a good philosophy

As far as Peterson goes, he is not Antrel Rolle because he is not a moron. Peterson understands how to play with in a scheme while Rolle never did. He is way more Charles Woodson than Rolle.

I get the size concerns for Von Miller, but I hesitate to pass on him because we have Schofield. I hope that Schofield develops and becomes a difference maker on defense, but I have yet to see anything to make me think differently. Von Miller brings an instant pass rush that is hard to turn down even with his size concerns.

I am really starting to dig Houston especially if we decide to trade down in the first or trade up from the second. Hopefully some of the other freaks flash a bit more in the combine so that he might drop a bit in round 1 allowing us to trade up.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kerrigan also is coming from a school (Purdue) that has a history of producing very productive pass rushers. Kerrigan is a terrific football player.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
Pouncey is not nearly as good as his brother. I watched him snap after snap for two whole games and I did not see the kind of explosion in the hips and upper body control that his brother possesses.

Still, Arodg, he's solid---could be a starter in 2-3 years.

As for Watkins---I think you have your finger on the pulse of that scenario---I think the Cardinals are very high on him...perhaps at #69 or #102.

Pouncey is a guard who was forced to play Center because Urban Meyer recruits for rankings and not to fill holes. Even playing out of position he was one of the best O-Lineman in the SEC, and I think he'll be a starter from day 1.

Daryn Colledge needs to go, he cost the Packers at least one game this year and possibly as many as three. Not the O-Line, but Colledge specifically. He needs to go, and Pouncey is the best Guard in this draft IMO.

Reaction score
That would be a pretty interesting draft. As others have said, I doubt the Pats would trade up. It's just not their way. But It would be interesting and no necessarily and bad move. They need a legit #1 WR.

Im hoping Kerrigan falls to #24 so the Saints can get him :)