Mock Draft (Well at least top 9)

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Well now that we know the order, I tried to come up with a quick mock draft. Feel free to post you own in here as well. I did all picks assuming thier current roster will remain the same.

However, some teams that may move around: Atlanta, Washington, Bulls, Suns

#1 - Magic - Emeka Okafor

No explanation necessary, I am pretty sure he is locked in at #1 now

#2 - Clippers - Ben Gordon

Slin first put this in my head. The Clippers largest need is a PG. Gordon is my top rated PG right now. I don't think I have seen im crack the top 5 yet, but I really dont see anyone else the Clipps would want. Perhaps Marty, but they already used a high lotto pick on Kaman last year. I doubt the Clipps will take Howard.

#3 - Bulls - Luol Deng

They need a SF in the worst way, and Deng is the best prospect, and should be able to contribute right away

#4 - Bobcats - Dwight Howard

I am not sure they will want to take a HS player with their first pick, however him falling past them just doesn't seem likely. Josh Childress is another possibility here.

#5 - Wizards - Martynas Andriuskevicius

They need another big man, since their backcourt is so loaded. It is hard to see the Wizards taking another big project, but I don't see another player that would be a good fit.

#6 - Hawks - Josh Childress

The Hawks are so messed up, it doesn't really matter who they take. I thought about putting Livingston here, since they definitely have the time to rebuild, but for some reason I am feelin Childress at this pick.

#7 - Suns - Shaun Livingston

It will be either Livingston, Biedrins or trading the pick in my mind. Both these players are near the top at their position in the draft, and both are loaded with potential. I am sure this will be discussed to death.....

#8 - Toronto - Andris Biedrins

Finally someone to let Chris Bosh play PF.

#9 - Sixers - Andre Igualdala

With Big Dog out, SF is still an issue. Andre will give them a ton of athleticism, and another lock down defender that should please Obie.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
i wouldn't be surprised to see the clippers and hawks hook up for a trade. the hawks want hometown kid howard, and the clippers could still get a top point guard at #6. i'm just not sure what else the hawks could offer to move up, probably a future first round pick since they don't really have any players of value.

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Sure, too bad the picks are so messed up! :p

Haha. I seriously can't think of anything for the Clipps. 2 is way to high for Gordon in my mind, but I just cant think of anyone else.

I mean they have Brand locked in at the 4. Magette at the 3. Richardson most likely at the 2. They draft Kaman last season, and he did a decent job at the 5.

Who do you think they will take???

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
offset said:
i wouldn't be surprised to see the clippers and hawks hook up for a trade. the hawks want hometown kid howard, and the clippers could still get a top point guard at #6. i'm just not sure what else the hawks could offer to move up, probably a future first round pick since they don't really have any players of value.

That is a good possibilty, but like you said, what else could the Hawks offer??

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
There was speculation that the Bobcats would consider Childress at #4.

But I think that the Hawks would want to draft their second hometown guy Josh Smith if they can't get Howard.

Maybe they would trade Jason Terry and their pick or something to the Clippers for #2.

Brett10S

Reaction score
well he might be one of the most ready players in the draft. Other than Okafor, and possibly Gordon no one pops into my mind immediately as being more seasoned. He obviously needs to add strength, but I don't think he'd be a liability when put on the court next season.

Who knows, though, maybe Mike Montgomery will push to get him, but they might have to move up.

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I'm just wondering when Josh Childress suddenly became a top 6 pick.

There was something either today or yeterday about the Bobcats being interested him at 4. Since he is one of 3 or 4 proven players in the top 14, I think he will find his way near the middle of the lottery.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. The last few years I have tried to stay pretty open-minded regarding the draft because I just haven't seen most of the players enough times. That said, I don't want Livingston. I think he's going to be a bust. From what I've seen the he's a great passer, but he can't shoot, and he's going to get abused by opposing point guards on the defensive end. He's a bean pole also.

Joe Mama

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Dwight Howard will go top 2 actually.

I was just chatting with one of the draftcity guys. No way Howard is not in the top 2.

The Clippers will take him or trade. They could just use him off the bench at the 3,4,5 probably like the Suns would have done.
The Hawks will go really hard after Howard hopefully that doesn't mean the Clippers land at #6 and take Gordon off of the board.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Dwight Howard will go top 2 actually.

I was just chatting with one of the draftcity guys. No way Howard is not in the top 2.

The Clippers will take him or trade. They could just use him off the bench at the 3,4,5 probably like the Suns would have done.
The Hawks will go really hard after Howard hopefully that doesn't mean the Clippers land at #6 and take Gordon off of the board.

I'm really starting to hope that we don't take Gordon just on principal, hopefully so we don't have to listen to you treat him like the 2nd coming of Magic Johnson.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I'm really starting to hope that we don't take Gordon just on principal, hopefully so we don't have to listen to you treat him like the 2nd coming of Magic Johnson.

Don't worry. I think it's very likely that Gordon will be gone before #7.

Joe Mama

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

Here comes the police officer.

You aren't allowed to be on the Iguodala bandwagon. You are not allowed to be on the Gordon bandwagon... Sheesh.. what is next?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Here comes the police officer.

You aren't allowed to be on the Iguodala bandwagon. You are not allowed to be on the Gordon bandwagon... Sheesh.. what is next?

"Aren't allowed?" What in the heck are you talking about??

fordronken

Reaction score
Clippers, Clippers...hm...

They already have three lottery picks used on a power forward...but knowing Elgin Baylor, they could really use a fourth.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'm not mocking your draft grahamcrackr, but I don't agree with all of it. I think the Clips will trade #2 to Atlanta for their two picks... or maybe for their #6 and their first one next year. That figures to give them their choice of PGs and an early pick next year to try again if they botch it.

Also, I don't see Washington taking Martynas over Biedrins - they're as unlikely as anyone to be thinking long term.

I've read again recently that Martynas' agent is saying his guy will not work out for any teams, which sounds like he has a guarantee from some lottery team. I hate to say it but that has Phoenix Suns written all over it.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
I'm not mocking your draft grahamcrackr, but I don't agree with all of it. I think the Clips will trade #2 to Atlanta for their two picks... or maybe for their #6 and their first one next year. That figures to give them their choice of PGs and an early pick next year to try again if they botch it.

Also, I don't see Washington taking Martynas over Biedrins - they're as unlikely as anyone to be thinking long term.

I've read again recently that Martynas' agent is saying his guy will not work out for any teams, which sounds like he has a guarantee from some lottery team. I hate to say it but that has Phoenix Suns written all over it.

the Phoenix Suns may take Martynas. They may have asked him to declare for the draft at this point. I seriously, seriously doubt the Phoenix Suns have promised him at this point that they will take him in the draft. Now if he stays in the draft and obviously some has promised him they would take him fairly early. The Suns may decide to make that promise, but they almost certainly haven't done it yet.

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I'm not disagreeing, but I sure hope you're wrong. From what limited information is available on line, it sounds like he has "bust" written all over him.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I hope you're right, but I'm disagreeing. :D

The Clippers are the only team IMO that can feel they've scouted him well enough that they don't need to see him in the U.S., and they're the only team besides the Suns that might want to leave a high pick in Europe so they can clear his salary from their cap.

The Suns have a pattern of bringing their player in, then sending him away, and it looks like this won't happen with Andriuskevicius.

The Clips might still be looking to trade down and grab him, so there's no 'guarantee' the Suns are backing Andriuskevicius, even if he stays in the draft past the deadline.

To me, Andriuskevicius sounds like a baby Ilgauskas, but quicker and with better feet. If the Suns really do like him enough to lock him up, I'll be happy enough when they draft him. :cool:

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Errntknght said:

I agree with you that the Clipps and Hawks should and possibly will hook up. I made the draft assuming that all teams stayed put.

You have a good point about Biedrins and Washington. To be honest, I haven't paid very close attention between the two of them. I thought they Biedrins was a little further ahead, but they were both still project players, so I had Washington taking the better project.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:

I'm not disagreeing, but I sure hope you're wrong. From what limited information is available on line, it sounds like he has "bust" written all over him.

The polite term is "project" if the guy is big. :D

At this point, my preference would be to trade the pick. I had hopes that the Wizzards would go so high they might not take Biedrins, but at #5 it is almost a lock.

Everything the Suns people have said over the last few months have indicated that they want to improve NOW. Martynas doesn't do that and feels like a reach at #7. I'm guessing the Suns could trade down and get him at #15 (Boston has three picks) if they wanted to leave him in Europe.

In any case, my first choice would be to use the pick to move Eisley to the Bobcats. If they really like Childress, he would make more sense at #7 than at #4.