Mock Picks 1-38: Arizona Trade

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. KC: Eric Fisher, T, Central Michigan. The Chiefs try to trade down but everyone is leery of another Andy Reid fleecing and thus resist. Fisher has that special je ne sais quoi and the Chiefs recognize it.

2. JAX: Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida. Casey Bradley wants to build a formidable defense from the inside out. Floyd generates a lot of local buzz and has been rising like cream up the draft boards.

3. BUF (from OAK for #8 & #41 picks): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia. Doug Marrone wants to start his HC gig with a bang and needs the QB to do it. Smith has all the tools and will need Marrone's astute coaching.

4. PHI: Lane Johnson, T, Oklahoma. The tackle situation in Philly is so iffy that Chip Kelly has to make this pick, even though he would love to take a skill player here. Johnson is the exact type of athlete Kelly loves at LT because he can release and block downfield in a flash.

5. DET: Luke Joeckel, T, Texas A&M. The Lions are thrilled that Joeckel is there for them, which allows them to move Riley Reiff at RT in place of Gosder Cherilus...which suits Reiff's skills better than LT.

6. SF (from CLE for #31, #34, #74, #128 picks): Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia. The 49ers have brought in Austin for a visit knowing they will have to make a huge trade offer to move up. Thus, they pounce on the opportunity to draft the most dynamic and electric playmaker in the draft. The Browns gave up their 2nd rounder in last year's supplemental drafts, so this trade appeals to them.

7. MIN (from AZ for #23, #25, #120 picks): Matt Barkley, QB, USC. It's no secret that the Vikings feel they are a good QB away from being a top contender. Christian Ponder and Matt Cassell do little to inspire confidence at the position. They are counting on the Barkley of 2011 to show up for them come training camp.

8. OAK (from BUF): Keenan Allen, WR, California. Those who have watched Allen closely know he's a blue chip WR. The Raiders have been paying attention.

9. NYJ: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama. The Jets trade Darrelle Revis to the Bucs (see #13) and are able to replace him with the best CB in the draft.

10. TEN: Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon. Too much upside to ignore in a pass happy division.

11. SD: Chance Warmack, G, Alabama. They wanted one of the three tackles, but are happy to take Warmack at this point.

12. MIA: Ziggy Ansah, OLB/DE, BYU. The thought of Ansah rushing the passer opposite Cameron Wake is too exciting to pass up.

13. NYJ (from TB for CB Darrelle Revis, a 2014 2nd and a 2015 3rd): Barkevious Mingo, OLB/DE, LSU. Rex Ryan will feel that he can maximize Mingo's special talents.

14. CAR: Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah. They are delirious to see he's on the board at a key need position for them.

15. NO: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia. Ditto. The Saints wanted an edge rusher and could have landed the best in the draft if Jones can stay healthy and in good shape.

16. STL: Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee. Danny who? The speedy and shifty Patterson makes their WR unit all the more prolific.

17. PIT: Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia. Mike Tomlin will do everything he can to get this kid's head right. His talent is outstanding.

18. DAL: Kenny Vacarro, S, Texas. Might as well keep things in state, snagging the best safety at a position of need.

19. NYG: Datone Jones, DE, UCLA. Osi who? The Giants keep their DE depth rolling.

20. CHI: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame. With Marc Trestman in town, the TE is back in Chicago...and this one is a fan favorite.

21. CIN: Bjeorn Werner, DE, Florida St. Very good value at this spot for a productive and physical pass rusher.

22. STL: Matt Elam, S, Florida. The love the idea of adding his toughness to what is shaping out to be a top level secondary.

23. AZ: Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina. Steve Keim and Bruce Arians are ecstatic because they were considering taking him at #7. He's the kind of kick out and pull RG that fits the offense to a tee. Immediate starter at RG.

24. IND: Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri. Outstanding value here for Chuck Pagano as he continues to try to strengthen his defense.

25. AZ: D'Andre Hopkins, WR, Clemson. Here is the speed WR the Cardinals have been needing to take the pressure off of Larry Fitzgerald. Hopkins is especially versatile too---he can play in the slot or wide.

26. GB: Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee. In the Greg Jennings mold.

27. HOU: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech. They break the Patriots' hearts with this pick because they wanted Patton badly.

28. DEN: Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M. They are delighted that Moore has slid to them and will re-unite with Von Miller.

29. PHI (from NE for #35 & #101 picks): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida St. Surprise, surprise. The Pats need to pick up extra picks so they are happy to move down six spots and pick up a 4th rounder, having lost theirs in the Talib trade. Chip Kelly fears that Jacksonville at #33 sees what he sees in Manuel, so he makes sure he gets him. Manuel's talents are made to order for Kelly's system and Mike Vick isn''t getting any younger.

30. ATL: Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama. They can rotate him in and keep Stephen Jackson fresh.

31. CLE: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida St. Has all the attributes of a Ray Horton type CB. Size, aggressiveness and playmaking ability.

32. BAL: Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas St. Fits their defensive mold at LB, super aggressive and physical.

Round 2

33. JAX: Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU. Nice combo in Floyd and Montgomery.

34. CLE: Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas. West coast offense suits Wilson well---and Norv Turner will try to groom him the way he did others.

35. NE: Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington. This is the player the Pats were hoping to take when they traded down six spots.

36. DET: Tank Carradine, DE, Florida St. Need pick and a good one if Carradine rebounds well from knee injury.

37. CIN: Eric Reid, S, LSU. Excellent value at this spot for Mike Zimmer's defense.

38. AZ: Matt Scott, QB, Arizona. He's going to need some time to develop, likely in the same time frame as Colin Kaepernick, but there is much to like about Scott's prospects.

69. AZ: John Simon, OLB/DE, Ohio St. His motor is non-stop and he is an extraordinary leader. Use him exclusively to rush the passer because that's his strength.

103. AZ: Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno St. Playmaker who is a very good tackler. Very good ball skills, which the Cardinals are now trying to stress in the secondary. The very good depth at safety in this draft will allow the Cardinals to wait until the early 4th round.

120. AZ: Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin. NCAA career TD leader (83), can pound the rock inside.

140. AZ: Michael Williams, TE, Alabama. Naturally gifted TE who is very good in the red zone.

174. AZ: Malliciah Goodman, DE, Clemson. Suffered knee injury at the end of a very strong season. Is a naturally gifted pass rusher.

176. AZ: Jake Knott, ILB, Iowa St. Had labrum shoulder surgery but should be ready to go in July. Good playmaker, very active versus the run and in coverage.

Last edited:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A WR in round 1 with our needs? Scott is now a 2nd round pick? Like the draft after round 2.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Thx for the read but I hope our draft doesn't look like that.

I understand I am just a fan so what do I know, but IMO, that mock has a red flag next to each of our picks, IMO.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ill pass on the WR and some of the other picks but if we could get that trade AND draft cooper I would be ecstatic.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Lolz. Dreaming is free. No one has more fun spinning otherworldly draft scenarios than Mitch.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Thx for the read but I hope our draft doesn't look like that.

I understand I am just a fan so what do I know, but IMO, that mock has a red flag next to each of our picks, IMO.

Agree. I like Cooper where he's picked, but under no circumstance should a wideout be picked in the first four rounds of our draft.

Also, taking Scott in the second with Okafor still on the board is perplexing. I understand Scott, who is my boy, is a sexy pick in this draft, but taking him in the 2nd, for any team, is a monumental reach.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
1. KC: Eric Fisher, T, Central Michigan. The Chiefs try to trade down but everyone is leery of another Andy Reid fleecing and thus resist. Fisher has that special je ne sais quoi and the Chiefs recognize it.

2. JAX: Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida. Casey Bradley wants to build a formidable defense from the inside out. Floyd generates a lot of local buzz and has been rising like cream up the draft boards.

3. BUF (from OAK for #8 & #41 picks): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia. Doug Marrone wants to start his HC gig with a bang and needs the QB to do it. Smith has all the tools and will need Marrone's astute coaching.

4. PHI: Lane Johnson, T, Oklahoma. The tackle situation in Philly is so iffy that Chip Kelly has to make this pick, even though he would love to take a skill player here. Johnson is the exact type of athlete Kelly loves at LT because he can release and block downfield in a flash.

5. DET: Luke Joeckel, T, Texas A&M. The Lions are thrilled that Joeckel is there for them, which allows them to move Riley Reiff at RT in place of Gosder Cherilus...which suits Reiff's skills better than LT.

6. SF (from CLE for #31, #34, #74, #128 picks): Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia. The 49ers have brought in Austin for a visit knowing they will have to make a huge trade offer to move up. Thus, they pounce on the opportunity to draft the most dynamic and electric playmaker in the draft. The Browns gave up their 2nd rounder in last year's supplemental drafts, so this trade appeals to them.

7. MIN (from AZ for #23, #25, #120 picks): Matt Barkley, QB, USC. It's no secret that the Vikings feel they are a good QB away from being a top contender. Christian Ponder and Matt Cassell do little to inspire confidence at the position. They are counting on the Barkley of 2011 to show up for them come training camp.

8. OAK (from BUF): Keenan Allen, WR, California. Those who have watched Allen closely know he's a blue chip WR. The Raiders have been paying attention.

9. NYJ: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama. The Jets trade Darrelle Revis to the Bucs (see #13) and are able to replace him with the best CB in the draft.

10. TEN: Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon. Too much upside to ignore in a pass happy division.

11. SD: Chance Warmack, G, Alabama. They wanted one of the three tackles, but are happy to take Warmack at this point.

12. MIA: Ziggy Ansah, OLB/DE, BYU. The thought of Ansah rushing the passer opposite Cameron Wake is too exciting to pass up.

13. NYJ (from TB for CB Darrelle Revis, a 2014 2nd and a 2015 3rd): Barkevious Mingo, OLB/DE, LSU. Rex Ryan will feel that he can maximize Mingo's special talents.

14. CAR: Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah. They are delirious to see he's on the board at a key need position for them.

15. NO: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia. Ditto. The Saints wanted an edge rusher and could have landed the best in the draft if Jones can stay healthy and in good shape.

16. STL: Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee. Danny who? The speedy and shifty Patterson makes their WR unit all the more prolific.

17. PIT: Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia. Mike Tomlin will do everything he can to get this kid's head right. His talent is outstanding.

18. DAL: Kenny Vacarro, S, Texas. Might as well keep things in state, snagging the best safety at a position of need.

19. NYG: Datone Jones, DE, UCLA. Osi who? The Giants keep their DE depth rolling.

20. CHI: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame. With Marc Trestman in town, the TE is back in Chicago...and this one is a fan favorite.

21. CIN: Bjeorn Werner, DE, Florida St. Very good value at this spot for a productive and physical pass rusher.

22. STL: Matt Elam, S, Florida. The love the idea of adding his toughness to what is shaping out to be a top level secondary.

23. AZ: Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina. Steve Keim and Bruce Arians are ecstatic because they were considering taking him at #7. He's the kind of kick out and pull RG that fits the offense to a tee. Immediate starter at RG.

24. IND: Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri. Outstanding value here for Chuck Pagano as he continues to try to strengthen his defense.

25. AZ: D'Andre Hopkins, WR, Clemson. Here is the speed WR the Cardinals have been needing to take the pressure off of Larry Fitzgerald. Hopkins is especially versatile too---he can play in the slot or wide.

26. GB: Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee. In the Greg Jennings mold.

27. HOU: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech. They break the Patriots' hearts with this pick because they wanted Patton badly.

28. DEN: Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M. They are delighted that Moore has slid to them and will re-unite with Von Miller.

29. PHI (from NE for #35 & #101 picks): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida St. Surprise, surprise. The Pats need to pick up extra picks so they are happy to move down six spots and pick up a 4th rounder, having lost theirs in the Talib trade. Chip Kelly fears that Jacksonville at #33 sees what he sees in Manuel, so he makes sure he gets him. Manuel's talents are made to order for Kelly's system and Mike Vick isn''t getting any younger.

30. ATL: Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama. They can rotate him in and keep Stephen Jackson fresh.

31. CLE: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida St. Has all the attributes of a Ray Horton type CB. Size, aggressiveness and playmaking ability.

32. BAL: Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas St. Fits their defensive mold at LB, super aggressive and physical.

Round 2

33. JAX: Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU. Nice combo in Floyd and Montgomery.

34. CLE: Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas. West coast offense suits Wilson well---and Norv Turner will try to groom him the way he did others.

35. NE: Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington. This is the player the Pats were hoping to take when they traded down six spots.

36. DET: Tank Carradine, DE, Florida St. Need pick and a good one if Carradine rebounds well from knee injury.

37. CIN: Eric Reid, S, LSU. Excellent value at this spot for Mike Zimmer's defense.

38. AZ: Matt Scott, QB, Arizona. He's going to need some time to develop, likely in the same time frame as Colin Kaepernick, but there is much to like about Scott's prospects.

69. AZ: John Simon, OLB/DE, Ohio St. His motor is non-stop and he is an extraordinary leader. Use him exclusively to rush the passer because that's his strength.

103. AZ: Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno St. Playmaker who is a very good tackler. Very good ball skills, which the Cardinals are now trying to stress in the secondary. The very good depth at safety in this draft will allow the Cardinals to wait until the early 4th round.

120. AZ: Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin. NCAA career TD leader (83), can pound the rock inside.

140. AZ: Michael Williams, TE, Alabama. Naturally gifted TE who is very good in the red zone.

174. AZ: Malliciah Goodman, DE, Clemson. Suffered knee injury at the end of a very strong season. Is a naturally gifted pass rusher.

176. AZ: Jake Knott, ILB, Iowa St. Had labrum shoulder surgery but should be ready to go in July. Good playmaker, very active versus the run and in coverage.

I dig ya' Mitch but I will say one thing after looking at your various posts of late, especially if you worked for a team...dude, do you even have a draft board ranking your players and if so, stick to it LOL :)

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree. I like Cooper where he's picked, but under no circumstance should a wideout be picked in the first four rounds of our draft.

Also, taking Scott in the second with Okafor still on the board is perplexing. I understand Scott, who is my boy, is a sexy pick in this draft, but taking him in the 2nd, for any team, is a monumental reach.

I'd love a trade down picking up an extra pick and still getting Cooper buy a WR no way and Scott? Nooooo

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If we traded back from an opportunity to draft Chance Warmack and used the other pick on another freaking 1st round receiver I would roundhouse my television.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good read Mitch thanks but not buying it.

Erik Fisher and Lane Johnson before Joeckel?

SF trading all those picks for Tavon when they have Crabtree, Quan, and Vernon? Clevlend needs playmakers, dont see why they would trade back that far.

Vikings trading two first rounders plus more for Barkley? Ponder has shown some promise and Barkley will more than likely be there at #23. Most mocks have him as an early 2nd rounder.

If Cards took a WR anywhere in the first 4 rounds I too would roundhouse my television. Not going to happen. If Cards traded back I doubt it would be further an 5-10 spots. If they traded back it would be because they think they could take Warmack at that spot.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Good read Mitch thanks but not buying it.

Erik Fisher and Lane Johnson before Joeckel?

SF trading all those picks for Tavon when they have Crabtree, Quan, and Vernon?
Clevlend needs playmakers, dont see why they would trade back that far.

Vikings trading two first rounders plus more for Barkley? Ponder has shown some promise and Barkley will more than likely be there at #23. Most mocks have him as an early 2nd rounder.

If Cards took a WR anywhere in the first 4 rounds I too would roundhouse my television. Not going to happen. If Cards traded back I doubt it would be further an 5-10 spots. If they traded back it would be because they think they could take Warmack at that spot.

And the 49ers drafted A.J. Jenkins in the first round last year. Mitch just loves him some WRs.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I always enjoy this time of year for all of his well thought out and outside the box scenarios and I appreciate the time and effort that goes into them.

But this scenario would not please me. Cards need to draft Ol two of first three picks, IMO. Drafting another WR in the first round would have me: :bang: :mad:

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
great ,mitch but can u explain me why passing many good de/olb who fit 3/4 defense to take a wr( we will get cribbs) ,and then grabbing simon..he is too stiff and no able to do something different then rushing the passer,olb must cover

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Warmack = Suggs.

Cooper and Hopkins = Pace and B Johnson

EXCEPT - There's no guarantee that either Cooper or Hopkins will be available at #23 and #25. PLUS - We don't know what the Cardinal value board looks like.

But it could work if there were 16-18 players stlll on our board at #7 that we liked well enough to be happy with if we traded down. (i.e. we'd be guaranteed to get at least one guy we liked at #23).

16 - 18 dudes? That's a long way to trade down to, but never say never.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Warmack = Suggs.

Cooper and Hopkins = Pace and B Johnson

EXCEPT - There's no guarantee that either Cooper or Hopkins will be available at #23 and #25. PLUS - We don't know what the Cardinal value board looks like.

But it could work if there were 16-18 players stlll on our board at #7 that we liked well enough to be happy with if we traded down. (i.e. we'd be guaranteed to get at least one guy we liked at #23).

16 - 18 dudes? That's a long way to trade down to, but never say never.

In a normal year, Jeff, you'd be 100% correct.

This draft is just plain weird---

Eric Fisher has as good a shot of being the first pick as any.

There are no sure thing QBs.

The pass rushers all have red flags and there aren't many good ones at all---which will have teams reaching early for the ones with red flags.

There are no blue chip RBs---and it's quite possible no RB will be taken in the first round.

This is why guards like Warmack and Cooper are being considered in the top 15 picks---because the normal depth at the most coveted positions is weak.

If there ever was a draft to move down, Jeff, this one is it.

The real value in this draft is between picks 20-120.

If the 49ers keep their picks---they will have the best draft in terms of value of any team in the NFL....in part, because the extra picks can give them the freedom to draft injured players like RB Marcus Lattimore and put them right on the IR for a year.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
One of the reason why I like to tinker around with various mock drafts is I learn a lot every time I do it.

I knew this mock would be unpopular---

It actually is unpopular with me because the 49ers traded up to snag my favorite player, WR Tavon Austin, one spot in front of us...which gave me all the more reason to want to trade down, grab an extra couple of picks in which we could afford to add the speed WR we, imo, desperately need.

Some of you might have missed it when I posted this thought previously, so i would like to say it again:

I blame the huge numbers of sacks on our WRs as much as anything else. They are slow out of the gates, even Fitz, who does a lot of unnecessary shake and bake when getting pressed.

There is no WR on the team to take the pressure off of Fitz. Floyd and Roberts don't scare anyone---why? Because they have trouble separating within three to four seconds.

If we get a WR who can gain instant separation and who the opponents have to know where he is at all times, it is going to open up the rest of the offense.

Until that happens, we will be a locked down offense.

A speed threat and mismatch nightmare changes everything.

DeAndre Hopkins is 6-1, 205...he's a blazer on tape...and he is super productive, especially over the middle where he is not timid.

2012 82/1,405/17.1/18 TDs

Check the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13cTixvMEos

My favorite is Tavon Austin, but if we can't have him, Hopkins would be a boon.

Last edited:

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
One of the reason why I like to tinker around with various mock drafts is I learn a lot every time I do it.

I knew this mock would be unpopular---

It actually is unpopular with me because the 49ers traded up to snag my favorite player, WR Tavon Austin, one spot in front of us...which gave me all the more reason to want to trade down, grab an extra couple of picks in which we could afford to add the speed WR we, imo, desperately need.

Some of you might have missed it when I posted this thought previously, so i would like to say it again:

I blame the huge numbers of sacks on our WRs as much as anything else. They are slow out of the gates, even Fitz, who does a lot of unnecessary shake and bake when getting pressed.

There is no WR on the team to take the pressure off of Fitz. Floyd and Roberts don;t scare anyone---why? Because they have trouble separating within three seconds.

If we get a WR who can gain instant separation and who the opponents have to know where he is at all times, it is going to open up the rest of the offense.

Until that happens, we will be a locked down offense.

A speed threat and mismatch nightmare changes everything.

D'Andre Hopkins is 6-1, 205...he's a blazer on tape...and he is super productive, especially over the middle where he is not timid.

2012 82/1,405/17.1/18 TDs

My favorite is Tavon Austin, but if we can't have him, Hopkins would be a boon.

You might be right about the quick separation but to say Larry, Roberts, and Floyd arent an above average receiving corps is just plain ludacris. Kurt Warner didn't have any speed guys. The receiving corps in my opinion is top 5-10 in the league and the OL is arguably the worst.

A WR would be a luxury pick considering the woes this offense has. Not a chance they take a receiver.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
You might be right about the quick separation but to say Larry, Roberts, and Floyd arent an above average receiving corps is just plain ludacris. Kurt Warner didn't have any speed guys. The receiving corps in my opinion is top 5-10 in the league and the OL is arguably the worst.

A WR would be a luxury pick considering the woes this offense has. Not a chance they take a receiver.

Actually, Nash, what you might be under-estmating is two players: WR Anquan Boldin who could use his strength to get open quickly and Steve Breaston who used his speed and quickness---Breaston was a speed guy.

Q and Breaston took the pressure off of Fitz.

I didn't say Fitz, Roberts and Floyd are below average as a unit---but compliment them with a speed threat and they will be better off and more productive.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

This is an inaccurate opinion. Based on my review of the coach's tape from last season, it was clear to me that there were quick passing options frequently available for our quarterbacks. Guys don't run free in the NFL the way that they do in college and high school. What looks covered to a high school coach is frequently as open as a guy gets in the NFL.

Sacks were caused most frequently by:
1) Offensive linemen being physically and mentally overmatched by opposing defenses
2) Quarterbacks being indecisive about delivering the ball to receivers on hot routes because they've misdiagnosed the defense
3) Receivers creating tight windows because the offense was not vertically challenging opposing defenses.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
great ,mitch but can u explain me why passing many good de/olb who fit 3/4 defense to take a wr( we will get cribbs) ,and then grabbing simon..he is too stiff and no able to do something different then rushing the passer,olb must cover

In my opinion, having watched hours of tape on all the pass rushing prospects, I don't think any of the ones projected in the 25-50 area are value picks.

John Simon is a value at #69 because of his ability to define the pocket---which is clearly what the Cardinals are smartly trying to do on the edge in this division. Plus, Simon is a tremendous leader, just ask Urban Meyer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmBpjGMk0gI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPAWU1Oc1iw

The Cardinals will be in a 4 man front more than 60% of the time this year---and when they are Simon can be a huge contributor at DE where he can bull-rush the passer and turn the QB into the pocket. He won't have to cover.

As for Josh Cribbs---he's coming off an injury and he's never produced at slot WR at a high level as of yet.

As for QB Matt Scott, if the Cardinals want him it will have to be at #38 or in a trade up from #69, because he will be a top 65 pick. There's too much buzz going on about him---and for good reason---he's very talented---and he's the most mobile QB in this draft...which today is a huge plus. Credit Russell Wilson's success for Scott's rise up the boards. Scott lacks Wilson's experience, but he has similar mobility and as good an arm, if not stronger. The question is can he be as accurate and poised in time? That will take good coaching.

The biggest hesitation I had was at #25 and whether to take QB E.J. Manuel---which may have been the way to go there---except that i can't get the disappointment I felt watching him falter in big games out of my head. His Florida game this past year was tough to watch and tough to come away from feeling great about his prospects in the NFL. However, the talent is there and if BA and TM feel they can coach him up, I am all for it.

For some reason I think even BA and TM are higher on Matt Scott.

Whenever Scott is asked which teams have been showing the most interest in him, he always mentions the Cardinals first. I think the interest there is legit.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In my opinion, having watched hours of tape on all the pass rushing prospects, I don't think any of the ones projected in the 25-50 area are value picks.

John Simon is a value at #69 because of his ability to define the pocket---which is clearly what the Cardinals are smartly trying to do on the edge in this division. Plus, Simon is a tremendous leader, just ask Urban Meyer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmBpjGMk0gI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPAWU1Oc1iw

The Cardinals will be in a 4 man front more than 60% of the time this year---and when they are Simon can be a huge contributor at DE where he can bull-rush the passer and turn the QB into the pocket. He won't have to cover.

As for Josh Cribbs---he's coming off an injury and he's never produced at slot WR at a high level as of yet.

As for QB Matt Scott, if the Cardinals want him it will have to be at #38 or in a trade up from #69, because he will be a top 65 pick. There's too much buzz going on about him---and for good reason---he's very talented---and he's the most mobile QB in this draft...which today is a huge plus. Credit Russell Wilson's success for Scott's rise up the boards. Scott lacks Wilson's experience, but he has similar mobility and as good an arm, if not stronger. The question is can he be as accurate and poised in time? That will take good coaching.

The biggest hesitation I had was at #25 and whether to take QB E.J. Manuel---which may have been the way to go there---except that i can't get the disappointment I felt watching him falter in big games out of my head. His Florida game this past year was tough to watch and tough to come away from feeling great about his prospects in the NFL. However, the talent is there and if BA and TM feel they can coach him up, I am all for it.

For some reason I think even BA and TM are higher on Matt Scott.

Whenever Scott is asked which teams have been showing the most interest in him, he always mentions the Cardinals first. I think the interest there is legit.

mitch in the 3th round i would go with jamie collins,tank carradine,lemonier,quanterus smith
hopkins is great..but no way they draft a wr so high
about scott i m agree ..i was one of the few( inclused u) considering him a 3th rounder,..probably will go second

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'd be interested in knowing what Mitch thinks that Demontre Moore is lacking as a value pick at 25. Bad 225-lbs bench press or no, that kid can rush the passer. Why continue paying John Lott if you're not going to develop the strength and conditioning of your players?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22