Monday's Ten Thoughts Game 4

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Excellent points, Jeff.

I am kind of curious to see a 1-2 rotation of Ellington and Ryan Williams. There's a whole lotta make people miss in those two.

I would like to see Ryan Williams get some reps as well. Maybe Mendy needs some time off to fully heal.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
During MJ's interview with Kent Somers on Monday, Somers did say he was surprised at the special treatment that Rashard Mendenhall is getting, e.g. sitting out practices and still getting the lion's shares of reps on Sunday and all the miscellaneous injuries he seems to sustain.

I suspect Rashard's honeymoon with B.A. is over, and we'll be seeing more of the other running backs on game day. The offense's problems Sunday weren't all on Rashard obviously , but he was definitely part of the problem with three fumbles and a dropped swing pass plus going out-of-bounds late in the game.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, my tongue-in-cheek concern about your analysis, is your continued use of the word egregious. Remember you're dealing with:
1. Football fans.
2. Arizona Cardinals football fans.
3. And many of those fans even live in Arizona.

Please dummy down your writeups (smiley face)

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Excellent points, Jeff.

I am kind of curious to see a 1-2 rotation of Ellington and Ryan Williams. There's a whole lotta make people miss in those two.

It's time for BA to humble up and give RW at least a shot. Mendenhall's fumbles were Inexcusable, Williams would have been cut the next day. Send a message for one game. Btw, I agree that Mendenhall should'nt have been taken out for the TB game ala Whiz, he needed to make some amends for back to back fumbles. Losing one on the last FG drive is real bad. He needs to come off the bench.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
On the second interception by Revis it appeared that Revis had coverage on the outside so either the pass should not have even gone out there or else Fitz needed to break it to the outside without the little stutter step to the inside so he would be in front of Revis when the ball got there.

Revis never bit on the Fitz stutter step to the inside or else he knew the ball was coming to the outside and jumped the route.

Not to get off topic but the first play by the Saints was a thing of beauty last night. Scroles with the little out and down pattern was wide open. So open in fact it seemed that the Saints knew it would be there the first play so they ran it for a big gain. Then the inexplicable third and inches play by the Dolphins on their first drive running a stretch play to the left when all they needed was literally a couple of inches.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would like to see Ryan Williams get some reps as well. Maybe Mendy needs some time off to fully heal.
When you look at the Cardinal-Carolina matchups, this makes a lot of sense. They're loaded inside with guys like Keuchley, Lotolele etc. so why not attack both flanks with screens and outside runs that should also tire out Carolina's edge guys and help out Palmer?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you look at the Cardinal-Carolina matchups, this makes a lot of sense. They're loaded inside with guys like Keuchley, Lotolele etc. so why not attack both flanks with screens and outside runs that should also tire out Carolina's edge guys and help out Palmer?
Ya, why not? Except for all the history of this team that suggests they won't be able to execute such things. :)

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I have watched Mendenhall's first carry multiple times now including the replay and it seems pretty clear to me that the ball came out as a result of hitting the ground thus not a fumble nor could it ever stood as one. Not to say he didn't still have a really bad game and I suppose you could argue that the ball coming out just from hitting the ground could be considered cause for concern.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ya, why not? Except for all the history of this team that suggests they won't be able to execute such things. :)
You're right, but if we ever want to be decent, we 're going to have to master the screen sooner or later. Practice makes perfect.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have watched Mendenhall's first carry multiple times now including the replay and it seems pretty clear to me that the ball came out as a result of hitting the ground thus not a fumble nor could it ever stood as one. Not to say he didn't still have a really bad game and I suppose you could argue that the ball coming out just from hitting the ground could be considered cause for concern.

It is a bit of a concern because the ref's will blow the call and then the camera angle won't catch it so it won't be reversed etc.

The thing that bothered me the most was the very next play he does fumble it. I would think the first almost fumble would have heightened his ball security awareness.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The Cards just had to play 3 of their first 4 games on the road. I thought the Bidwills spent $400 million on a climate controlled stadium so they wouldn't have to do that anymore.

Stupid NFL.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
The Cards just had to play 3 of their first 4 games on the road. I thought the Bidwills spent $400 million on a climate controlled stadium so they wouldn't have to do that anymore.

Stupid NFL.

...which means we have 7 of the last 12 at home. Each team gets 8 at home, and 8 on the road.

Last year we had 3 of the first 4 at home.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
...which means we have 7 of the last 12 at home. Each team gets 8 at home, and 8 on the road.

Last year we had 3 of the first 4 at home.

And we started 4-0 didn't we? The trouble with 3 of 4 away is that you could easily be in a 1-3 or 0-4 hole before starting that home game run.

With today's technology the NFL should be able to figure out how to have the schedule home/away/home/away as much as possible.