Morris twins contract extension

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine · 51m
Hearing: Twin brothers Markieff & Marcus Morris closing in on contract extensions with Phoenix that could be announced as early as Monday

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine · 50m
Suns' Morris Twins are both eligible for extensions until Halloween deadline and early word is both on course to score four-year contracts

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine · 46m
Early word in circulation is that the two Morris contracts likely to total in $52 million range. Precise split between the two brothers TBA

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine

Hopefully we can retain Kieff in that $6M/yr-$8M/yr range and Marcus on that $3M/yr-$4M/yr range.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm... Markieff better get keep improving. This feels more like 52 million to keep him, I couldn't care less about keeping his brother other than to keep him happy.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Great news!

Both of these guys are extremely hard workers in the off season and will continue to improve throughout the duration of their contracts. That makes a combined 52/4 years an absolute bargain. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Frye goes for 8 million do you really expect Markieff to go for less? 4 or 5 is about right for Marcus.

Good point on that.

However, I think $4M is about the max Marcus should get.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Frye got paid 8 million because he fills a rare niche in the modern NBA, one that Markieff does not. I'm not saying we should have kept Frye, but I don't think their situations are comparable.

I have a hard time seeing Markieff getting more than 8 million a year without some legit improvement over last year's play. And Marcus would probably be a 4 mil/2 year type player on the open market.

This does not feel like the "we will take a discount to stay together" that was advertised. IMO Markieff is getting the most he could have hoped for as a free agent and Marcus is getting a serious overpay for the right to tag along.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm... Markieff better get keep improving. This feels more like 52 million to keep him, I couldn't care less about keeping his brother other than to keep him happy.

I think his brother has a little more value than just keeping Keef happy. Additionally, I think we're going to find he fits the stretch forward role much better than he fit the small forward position. If the two of them come in at a total of 4/52, that's not a horrible deal if they really think Keef can thrive as a starter.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think his brother has a little more value than just keeping Keef happy. Additionally, I think we're going to find he fits the stretch forward role much better than he fit the small forward position. If the two of them come in at a total of 4/52, that's not a horrible deal if they really think Keef can thrive as a starter.

Steve

I hope so, but Marcus has never been one to go into get physical on either end, his rebounding is pretty bad, even for a SF.

I agree that if Kieff makes huge strides as a starter its not bad, but I would have preferred to see those strides first. Lets say he averages 15/8 and plays his typical average/below average defense, I don't think he would get much more than 32/4 as a free agent, especially not if every suitor knows they need to drag his brother along on a 4 year contract.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope so, but Marcus has never been one to go into get physical on either end, his rebounding is pretty bad, even for a SF.

I agree that if Kieff makes huge strides as a starter its not bad, but I would have preferred to see those strides first. Lets say he averages 15/8 and plays his typical average/below average defense, I don't think he would get much more than 32/4 as a free agent, especially not if every suitor knows they need to drag his brother along on a 4 year contract.

I don't think Markieff even has to make huge strides to earn that money. He needs to show us that last year wasn't a fluke and that he can be just as effective as a starter and then build on his game from there. But you're right, it would be nice to have all the questions answered before giving him a fairly big contract. But the gamble of waiting has its own drawbacks so I'm fine with locking them up. Marcus isn't a great rebounder (nor is his brother) but I don't worry about him being physical enough for the position.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Marcus is underrated. He is consistently getting better too and was efficient last year.

It's great that we extend them early and that they will likely be on our team for a long time. These two seem to really embrace being on the Suns and in the Suns community.

Markieff would EASILY get 8M$ per on the free agent market.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't feel like either of these contracts will make or break us. If its an overpay its a mild one. What got me is that I figured if we were going extend them early, granting their wish of keeping them together, that we'd somewhat of a discount, especially since Marcus has done little to warrant a long term deal. But I can't see the combined deal as a discount.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This does not feel like the "we will take a discount to stay together" that was advertised. IMO Markieff is getting the most he could have hoped for as a free agent and Marcus is getting a serious overpay for the right to tag along.

I agree. The correct salary for Marcus is zero. He brings nothing special to the table other than a familial relationship with the player who is the closest thing the Suns have to a PF.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good contract range. We have to remember Markieff is going to try to be something like our Frye this year. We saw him hit quite a bit of 3's last year, so you can say we already have seen some of that.

Salaries are on the way up, getting guys signed between now and the new CBA will pay dividends later. We can sign the guys we need to, and still be able to attract a max contract guy, perhaps more.

We have to meet the minimum salary. Since we can't get Love or anyone else of that stature, I'm perfectly content with re-signing our own guys that have proven to be worth an investment.

I've always liked Markieff. He has continued to get better, and whenever we pair him with his brother their chemistry brings their play up another notch.

We have a 'little big man syndrome' as Suns fans. I didn't hate Lopez. I didn't hate Gortat. These guys are fine players. They're not world beaters, but because they weren't many hated them. Even at Gortat's age he got 10+ a year. It'll be interesting to see what Lopez gets next year. He shot over 80 percent from the line last year. No way he signs for under 10 a year, probably more like what the brothers got.

Hopefully we don't break up the brother's time together too much. I really like what we had with them last year.

That's the reason why we pay both, they simply have 'it' together. I also think alot of people don't understand a big like Kieff, who is alot more younger and athletic then Frye, would command alot more then Frye. Kieff would probably get 12-14 in the open market. Hard to believe, but look at all the idiotic contracts given out this summer, and anticipate next year. Kieff would easily get that. Overall this is a good deal for the Suns. If we ever want to trade one or both of them, it will be easier to do so.

I really feel these guys, especially Keiff are tortoise's. Slow and steady improvement every year to win the race. These days 15/8 players are also 15 million a year players, and anyone not subscribing to that, will be after the new CBA. Channing Frye is the 70th highest paid player in the NBA. No way he stays 70th for long. Look at this list... lots of average players getting serious coin. Lots of these contracts were signed years ago. For every guy worth it, there are 2-3 others that you'd think aren't worth it. That's the NBA today. I'm not saying it's great, it's just what NBA players are getting paid today, good or decent or misjudged to be.

Oh and you can also notice that Bledsoe is making less then Gordon.

13Blake Griffin, PF Los Angeles Clippers $17,674,613
14 Zach Randolph, PF Memphis Grizzlies $16,500,000
15 LaMarcus Aldridge, PF Portland Trail Blazers $16,006,000
16 Paul George, SF Indiana Pacers $15,937,290
17 Marc Gasol, C Memphis Grizzlies $15,829,688
18 Kevin Love, PF Cleveland Cavaliers $15,719,063
19 Russell Westbrook, PG Oklahoma City Thunder $15,719,062
20 Brook Lopez, C Brooklyn Nets $15,719,062
21 David Lee, PF Golden State Warriors $15,012,000
22 Dwyane Wade, SG Miami Heat $15,000,000
23 Eric Gordon, SG New Orleans Pelicans $14,898,938
24 Roy Hibbert, C Indiana Pacers $14,898,938
25 Tyson Chandler, C Dallas Mavericks $14,846,888
26 John Wall, PG Washington Wizards $14,746,000
27 DeMarcus Cousins, C Sacramento Kings $14,746,000
28 James Harden, SG Houston Rockets $14,728,844
29 Chandler Parsons, SF Dallas Mavericks $14,700,000
30 Josh Smith, SF Detroit Pistons $13,500,000
31 Al Jefferson, C Charlotte Hornets $13,500,000
32 Nene Hilario, PF Washington Wizards $13,000,000
33 Eric Bledsoe, PG Phoenix Suns $13,000,000
34 Andrew Bogut, C Golden State Warriors $12,972,973
35 Derrick Favors, C Utah Jazz $12,950,000
36 Rajon Rondo, PG Boston Celtics $12,909,090
37 Joakim Noah, C Chicago Bulls $12,700,000
38 Tony Parker, PG San Antonio Spurs $12,500,000
39 Serge Ibaka, PF Oklahoma City Thunder $12,350,000
40 Andre Iguodala, SF Golden State Warriors $12,289,544

41 Nikola Pekovic, C Minnesota Timberwolves $12,100,000
42 Kyle Lowry, PG Toronto Raptors $12,000,000
43 Al Horford, C Atlanta Hawks $12,000,000
44 Nicolas Batum, SF Portland Trail Blazers $11,765,500
45 Ty Lawson, PG Denver Nuggets $11,595,506
46 Andrea Bargnani, C New York Knicks $11,500,000
47 DeAndre Jordan, C Los Angeles Clippers $11,440,123
48 Tyreke Evans, SF New Orleans Pelicans $11,265,416
49 JaVale McGee, C Denver Nuggets $11,250,000
50 Larry Sanders, C Milwaukee Bucks $11,000,000
51 Danilo Gallinari, SF Denver Nuggets $10,854,850
52 Stephen Curry, PG Golden State Warriors $10,629,213
53 Marcin Gortat, C Washington Wizards $10,434,782
54 Jrue Holiday, PG New Orleans Pelicans $10,404,495
55 Tim Duncan, PF San Antonio Spurs $10,361,446
56 Gerald Wallace, SF Boston Celtics $10,105,855
57 DeMar DeRozan, SG Toronto Raptors $10,100,000

Last edited:

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Markieff Morris received a four-year, $32 million extension while Marcus took a four-year, $20 million extension.

Interesting. Glad this is done if they wanted to keep them, but not sure I like the amounts. We'll see.... These two are clearly a big part of the locker room and I'm glad there won't be any drama next year. When the cap shoots up these deals will look even better.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marcus has value as a depth player. He was productive when he got the minutes and worked well with Markieff when he was on the court. I am not sure why he should be considered to have zero value. His value is very similar to Gerald Green and even Plumlee last year (not being scientific, just by the eye test).

That said, to me, both these contracts seem a little high. I would have preferred somewhere in the 4/15, 4/28 range.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Markieff Morris received a four-year, $32 million extension while Marcus took a four-year, $20 million extension.

Interesting. Glad this is done if they wanted to keep them, but not sure I like the amounts. We'll see.... These two are clearly a big part of the locker room and I'm glad there won't be any drama next year. When the cap shoots up these deals will look even better.

If Markieff is able to equal or better what he did off the bench last season, his contract will be a bargain. Channing made that much and we all know how much everyone here LOVED Channing Frye. And Markieff could potentially be a better player -- statistically, he WAS a better player last year.

Marcus I'm not as sure about, but it's just a little less than the bi-annual exception, so it's not that big of a deal, especially with the cap going up in another year or two.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So they will not be free agents until 5 years from now (two months ago, to be precise). Is that correct? Summer of 2019?

So, this summer our front office:

1. Locked up Eric Bledsoe for five years.
2. Signed IT for 4 years at a bargain rate.
3. Signed Markus Morris for five years (from now).
4. Signed Markief Morris for five years (from now).
5. Locked up PJ Tucker for 3/16.5, which now looks like a really good deal.
6. Picked up Zoran Dragic for less than $2 million per year for two years.
7. Picked up Tolliver pretty cheap, especially considered the second year is only minimally guaranteed.
8. Drafted TJ Warren who performed very well in summer league and seems very productive.
9. Drafted Ennis, who played solid ball in summer league but will not see the light of day in the regular rotation. He may be trade bait.
10. Drafted the rights to Bogdan, who is looking like a very good player in Europe.

Wow. A lot done this summer. Just no superstar--unless it ends up being Bledsoe.

BTW. PJ Tucker may be the most under rated move. I think we forget his defensive impact. He has a rare combination of quick hands, quick feet, great strength, fantastic defensive technique and aggressiveness. Watch and enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOr9nZQPEcw

Last edited:

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great signing, but what are we going to do about the million guards we have??

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
These guys have been at the facility working all summer. If they fail it won't be because they didn't work hard enough.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They say it's become a guard oriented league, we're just going to test that premise. Nightly.

Steve

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score

They are not really that unbalanced with guards.
Total guards and forwards are even. Given that most teams play 2 guards and 2 forwards at a time that makes sense to me. Still need a 3rd center imo but not a bad roster makeup or one that is horribly one sided.

5 Guards (Dragic, Bledsoe, Thomas, Goodwin, Ennis), 5 Forwards (Morris, Morris, Warren, Tolliver, Randolph), 2 G-F (Green, Tucker), 1 C-F (Plumlee), and 1 C (Len).

Edit: interesting that they still list Okafor on the roster page. I would have thought his FA rights were released.

Last edited:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Good contract range. We have to remember Markieff is going to try to be something like our Frye this year. We saw him hit quite a bit of 3's last year, so you can say we already have seen some of that.

NO NO NO NO NO.

Markieff finally blossomed last season when he played like a "true" PF from inside the 3pt line in.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was skeptical of the Ennis pick. I know he was a great college guard, but not sure how he will transition to the NBA. Anybody, have any insight on how he is doing so far?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So they will not be free agents until 5 years from now (two months ago, to be precise). Is that correct? Summer of 2019?

So, this summer our front office:

1. Locked up Eric Bledsoe for five years.
2. Signed IT for 4 years at a bargain rate.
3. Signed Markus Morris for five years (from now).
4. Signed Markief Morris for five years (from now).
5. Locked up PJ Tucker for 3/16.5, which now looks like a really good deal.
6. Picked up Zoran Dragic for less than $2 million per year for two years.
7. Picked up Tolliver pretty cheap, especially considered the second year is only minimally guaranteed.
8. Drafted TJ Warren who performed very well in summer league and seems very productive.
9. Drafted Ennis, who played solid ball in summer league but will not see the light of day in the regular rotation. He may be trade bait.
10. Drafted the rights to Bogdan, who is looking like a very good player in Europe.

Wow. A lot done this summer. Just no superstar--unless it ends up being Bledsoe.

BTW. PJ Tucker may be the most under rated move. I think we forget his defensive impact. He has a rare combination of quick hands, quick feet, great strength, fantastic defensive technique and aggressiveness. Watch and enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOr9nZQPEcw

This is a nicely put together thought. I'm very pleased with the Morris twins extensions.

The Suns under McDonough have taken a long term approach in signing the players they want to keep. IT, Tucker and the Morrris twins were bargains. Also having players on rookie contracts is a good way to fill out a roster.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22