Movie A Day #131: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

One of my all-time favorites. Great story and action from beginning to end. Makes me anticipate a 4th movie each time I see it. Personally, I wish they had done more Indiana Jones' movies provided they could have been done at the level of Raiders and Crusade.

From Amazon: The third episode in Steven Spielberg's rousing Indiana Jones saga, this film recaptures the best elements of Raiders of the Lost Ark while exploring new territory with wonderfully satisfying results. Indy is back battling the Nazis, who have launched an expedition to uncover the whereabouts of the Holy Grail. And it's not just Indy this time--his father is also involved in the hunt. Spielberg excels at the kind of extended action sequences that top themselves with virtually every frame; the best one here involves Indy trying to stop a Nazi tank from the outside while his father is being held within. For good measure, Spielberg reveals (among other things) how Indy got his hat, the scar on his chin, and his nickname (in a prologue that features River Phoenix as the young Indiana).

Directed by Steven Spielberg. Characters by George Lucas and Philip Kaufman. Story by George Lucas and Menno Meyjes. Screenplay by Jeffrey Boam.

Featuring: Harrison Ford, Sean Connery, Denholm Elliott, Alison Doody, John Rhys-Davies, Julian Glover, and River Phoenix.

Misc:

Actor Pat Roach appears as a thug in all three Indiana Jones movies. He's both the Giant Sherpa and a mechanic in Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), he's the Chief Guard (who gets crushed by the rock crusher) in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), and he's a Gestapo officer in Last Crusade.

Sean Connery didn't want to do the film at first because he didn't think he'd be believable as Harrison Ford's father. Connery is only 12 years older than Harrison Ford.

Having Sean Connery play Jones' father was an inside joke to James Bond being the father of Indiana Jones. Spielberg had always wanted to do a Bond film but did Indiana Jones as a James Bond type character.

Furthermore, the film stars a former James Bond (Sean Connery), a former Bond ally (John Rhys-Davies), a former Bond girl (Alison Doody), two former Bond commanding officers (Michael Byrne and Billy J. Mitchell), a former Bond nightclub owner (Vernon Dobtcheff), and three former Bond villains (Julian Glover, Stefan Kalipha and Pat Roach).