Movie a Day #166 - Equilibrium

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Christian Bale & Taye Diggs star in this futuristic movie about government control over its citizens. Bale is a very believeable action figure in this. I think he will do a good job as the next Batman.

The Clerics (those who enforce the rules) are very well trained fighters. The special effects and fight scenes are perhaps the best that I've seen. The movie reminds me of a cross between 1984-Blade Runner-Matrix.

from IMDB: In a futuristic world, a strict regime has eliminated war by suppressing emotions: books, art and music are strictly forbidden and feeling is a crime punishable by death. Clerick John Preston (Bale) is a top ranking government agent responsible for destroying those who resist the rules. Whe he misses a dose of Prozium, a mind-altering drug that hinders emotion, Preston, who has been trained to enforce the strict laws of the new regime, suddenly becomes the only person capable of overthrowing it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I enjoyed Equilibrium, but I couldn't help thinking I was seeing the same thing over and over again. A cool cast just couldn't quite get the movie off the ground.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Equilibrium

Sort of a Matrix-type movie, in the action and costumes...

Christian Bale, Taye Diggs, Sean Bean...good cast. A little bit different type of a sci-fi movie.

They are trying to rid the world of emotions by taking P10 or some drug to keep your emotions from emerging. An elite force called the Cleric find sects "outside" this emotionless world and slaughter then, ridding the world of anything that causes emotions...the Mona Lisa was one thing they destroyed.

So the story is basically what happens when Bale misses his dose and feelings start emerging.

Wouldn't say it was awesome, but it was good.

Mike

bunnyhatesfoofoo

Down with the Sickness
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
Sort of a Matrix-type movie, in the action and costumes...

Christian Bale, Taye Diggs, Sean Bean...good cast. A little bit different type of a sci-fi movie.

They are trying to rid the world of emotions by taking P10 or some drug to keep your emotions from emerging. An elite force called the Cleric find sects "outside" this emotionless world and slaughter then, ridding the world of anything that causes emotions...the Mona Lisa was one thing they destroyed.

So the story is basically what happens when Bale misses his dose and feelings start emerging.

Mike
I would say Equalibrium was awesome. I thought the movie was fantastic. A little cheesy and far fetched at times but awesome nevertheless. I can't wait to see Christian Bale in the new Batman movie. Im very interested to see if he can pull the part off.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:

Mike

Another pretty good movie... I saw it yesterday on cable and am watching it a second time right now... It is a little far-fetched and if you really pay attention there are many emotions that occur in those that are taking their intervals, such as fear, surprise, etc... Good action though... over all very entertaining...

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie a Day #215: Equilibrium

The Cast: Christian Bale, Taye Diggs, Sean Bean

The Director: Kurt Wimmer

The Story: In a futuristic world, a strict regime has eliminated war by suppressing emotions: books, art and music are strictly forbidden and feeling is a crime punishable by death. Clerick John Preston (Bale) is a top ranking government agent responsible for destroying those who resist the rules. Whe he misses a dose of Prozium, a mind-altering drug that hinders emotion, Preston, who has been trained to enforce the strict laws of the new regime, suddenly becomes the only person capable of overthrowing it.

Pariah's Take: Take "1984," "The Matrix" and "Logan's Run" and put them in a belnder and you get Equilibrium. It's not an entirely unique movie, but it's interesting. I thought Bale's preformance in this one (yes, I went on a "Bale kick" just before Batman to see what he was about) was a bit bland, but the action sequences of "Gun Kata" geometry and angles combined with eastern philosophy/physiology were pretty neat.
2.75 out of 5 stars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved this movie. This reminds me of one I did before.

Oh wait....

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Dope movie that nobody has ever heard about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan