Movie-a-Day #251 -- Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Don't act like you're not impressed."

I love, love, love this movie. This is Will Ferrell's baby, his pet project. It is said to reflect his sense of humor. In that case, he and I are on the same wavelength. I like goofy movies like this and Zoolander that you aren't supposed to take seriously.

Now let me preface this...this is no Godfather II, no Rashomon, no Kane. What it is however, is 90 minutes of pure entertainment. I can't think of a more quotable movie in the past few years, including Napoleon Dynamite. Anchorman is chock full of great lines. It's science. :shrug:

While in undergrad at NAU I got a dual major, and one was broadcast journalism. Worked on the university news show for 3 years, and interned at the NBC affiliate in Flag. Hated broadcasting, and am glad I never went down that path. However that background gives me a great angle to look at Anchorman on. Will Ferrell nails Ron Burgandy to the wall. He is a great "anchorman". "That squirrell can waterski." I quote this movie all the time, in every situation because it applies to so much, but especially quote it during one of my favorite pastimes...making fun of TV Newscasts.

Give this one a shot, especially if you liked Zoolander or the like. The adventures of Ron, Brick, Champ, Veronica and Brian are unparalleled in human history; by Zeus' beard, in the history of the universe!

If you don't like it, well, when in Rome.

------------------
Plot for Anchorman:

Ron Burgundy (Ferrell) is the top-rated anchorman in San Diego in the '70s. When feminism marches into the newsroom in the form of ambitious newswoman Veronica Corningstone (Applegate), Ron is willing to play along at first-as long as Veronica stays in her place, covering cat fashion shows, cooking, and other "female" interests. But when Veronica refuses to settle for being eye candy and steps behind the news desk, it's more than a battle between two perfectly coiffed anchor-persons... it's war.

------------------
Cast:

Will Ferrell .... Ron Burgundy
Christina Applegate .... Veronica Corningstone
Paul Rudd .... Brian Fantana
Steve Carell .... Brick Tamland
David Koechner .... Champ Kind
Fred Willard .... Ed Harken
Chris Parnell .... Garth Holliday
Kathryn Hahn .... Helen
Fred Armisen .... Tino

----------------------

Trivia:

Was inspired by a biography show that Will Ferrell watched about Jessica Savitch, and how one of her male coworkers confessed to being a total chauvinist back in the day.

Many of the actors as well as Will Ferrell are well versed in the art of improvisation and would sometimes do up to 20 different versions of reaction lines trying out the first thing that popped into their heads.

This film had been pitched to DreamWorks nearly 20 times before, following the successes of "Old School" and "Elf". DreamWorks had little faith in the film, doubting Ferrell and McKay were able to pull off an entire film based on news anchors. Despite the doubts the film would bomb, it grossed $84 million domestically.

----------------------

The opening title card says it all for this movie, BTW:

"The following is based on actual events. Only the names, locations and events have been changed."

Enjoy, I'll be back tomorrow with something else.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say, how many times do you think you have watched it? Be honest.

A-Bomb

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
Say, how many times do you think you have watched it? Be honest.

A-Bomb

Boy, uhm...sat down and watched it start to finish while not doing anything else but watching? Maybe 7?

Sat down and watched it while playing poker or doing something on the computer in front of the movie. Maybe 12?

Had it on while painting the house, hanging fans, etc so not actually watching it except for multiple scenes and listening for lines? Maybe 15 or so.

Yeah, I practically have it memorized. So what's your point? You miss my musk or something?

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Yeah, I practically have it memorized. So what's your point? You miss my musk or something?

Just wondering. I think I am at about 10-12 and it gets better everytime.

"You ate a whole wheel of cheese? No, I'm not mad, frankly, I'm impressed."

A-Bomb

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have only seen this movie once, but I laughed hysterically at many parts. Especially when Ron comes home to his dog - I think that was the wheel of cheese line.

Anyway, I need to rent this movie again - I need some laughter in my life!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Had some funny moments, but I've always been a little "ho-hum" about this movie. Will Ferrell is brilliant, though.

marathon_mom

Bring it on!!!
Reaction score
Just wait til Harley crawls out from under his rock and sees this. He loves it & quotes it all the time. I liked it too, but not quite as much as d-dogg. lol. :thumbup:

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ron Burgundy hysterically crying and screaming in to the phone while in a phone boothe:

Fantana - "Brian Fantana..."

Burgundy - "The man..."

Fantana - "What did the bad man do Ron?"

Burgundy - "the man punted Baxter... :(

Fantana - "Ron..Ron...where are you?"

Burgundy - I'm in a glass cage of emotion!"

:biglaugh:

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
His Panther cologne is da BOM

60 percent of the time it works.....every time.

One of my fantasy football teams is named The Sex Panthers. ;)

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of the greatest movies of all time. Every single line of Steve Carrell's is pure gold. My brothers and I quote this movie almost on a daily basis. It's just so fun to tell people, "I love lamp."

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assface said:
This is one of the greatest movies of all time. Every single line of Steve Carrell's is pure gold. My brothers and I quote this movie almost on a daily basis. It's just so fun to tell people, "I love lamp."

We say that to mean "nice boobs" in public. You know, seeing a generously blessed woman and saying "I love lamp" to your friends when she is right by you. :thumbup:

Boy, do I love lamp.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Assface said:

Great, great comedy. Whenever its on the tube I just have to watch at least for a little while

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!"
"LOUD NOISES" :D

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
It sounds funny. I have been hesitant becuase i dont like crass humor. Could you compare it to other movies. Would it merit an R rating? i noticed it was unrated

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I didn't see it in the theater, so I don't know what had to be cut out of the unrated version. There's one, uh, fairly explicit sex-organ gag, and another scene with intense scatological humor. Those are the raunchiest parts I remember.

I thought the movie was quite funny, but I'm surprised at the comparison to Zoolander, which I thought was terrible.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, this was on HBO the other day and I watched it, despite having the DVD. My wife sat and watched part again too.

Afterwards I told her I had a disease; everytime this movie is on or I see the DVD, I watch it. I can't help myself. It's weird.

"This is your doctor. I have your pregnancy report here, and guess what. You got knocked up."

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan