Movie A Day #58: Office Space

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is by far one of my favorite movies to watch. I laugh out loud every time I see this movie without fail. Its easy to see why this movie has such a cult following!

"With any luck she'll get to see my O FACE, Ya know Oh! Oh! Oh!OOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhh!" :D

How may people have truly done exactly what the main charcter does in the opening scene on the freeway? Switching lanes only to have the lane you just got out of start to move ahead! :mad:

If you havent seen it you dont know what your missing!

Amazon.com
Ever spend eight hours in a "Productivity Bin"? Ever had worries about layoffs? Ever had the urge to demolish a temperamental printer or fax machine? Ever had to endure a smarmy, condescending boss? Then Office Space should hit pretty close to home for you. Peter (Ron Livingston) spends the day doing stupefyingly dull computer work in a cubicle. He goes home to an apartment sparsely furnished by IKEA and Target, then starts for a maddening commute to work again in the morning. His coworkers in the cube farm are an annoying lot, his boss is a snide, patronizing jerk, and his days are consumed with tedium. In desperation, he turns to career hypnotherapy, but when his hypno-induced relaxation takes hold, there's no shutting it off. Layoffs are in the air at his corporation, and with two coworkers (both of whom are slated for the chute) he devises a scheme to skim funds from company accounts. The scheme soon snowballs, however, throwing the three into a panic until the unexpected happens and saves the day. Director Mike Judge has come up with a spot-on look at work in corporate America circa 1999. With well-drawn characters and situations instantly familiar to the white-collar milieu, he captures the joylessness of many a cube denizen's work life to a T. Jennifer Aniston plays Peter's love interest, a waitress at Chotchkie's, a generic beer-and-burger joint à la Chili's, and Diedrich Bader (The Drew Carey Show) has a minor but hilarious turn as Peter's mustached, long-haired, drywall-installin' neighbor. --Jerry Renshaw

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie quite simply ROCKS.

It is hilarious and it's even funnier the more you watch it. You find yourself anticipating certain lines and moments.

Great pick! :thumbup:

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I lump this into the same category with Swingers in that everybody at some point has been there or knows someone who's been there in their life.

Swingers was about that down and out guy who's having no luck in the singles scene while Office Space is about that guy who's bored out of his flipping mine at his office job.

Outstanding pick:thumbup:

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This movie is a classic to anyone that has ever worked in the "Corporate Environment".

"Ummmm. I need you to work on Saturday. And Ummmm I your gonna half to work on Sunday too."

Funny this just happened to me. No game on Sunday, working on Sunday to input disaster fire claims for the California fires.

Glad to do it though. Overtime and shift differential.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love to watch this movie - it's simply hilarious!!!

Excellent pick.

Shawn

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
uh, yeah....right........

AWESOME, AWESOME movie - one of my all time favorites!

Cube hell - I think a lot of us have been there.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great Flick!

Man I could relate to this movie. The first time I watched this movie I had just finished working on the Y2K team at work. I swear that they wrote this movie about my life. I've seen it all before here at work, the annoying secretary, the weird guy with stapler, having 5 different bosses, filling out useless reports, cube life and the stupid printer that never works.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
What a great movie. :thumbup:

Now I am going to have to watch it later.
Diedrich Bader is great as Peter's neighbor.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?"

LOL

Good stuff.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
A couple years back I was working on the help desk at my old job and the big boss of the organization called me up screaming that his printer wouldn't work. This guy isn't exactly the nicest guy to work with.

So I go upstairs and of course, the printer is displaying "PC LOAD LETTER."

I couldn't help but start laughing. Boss man didn't find it so funny.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Movies like this help justify my decision to start my own business when I get out of school. I just couldn't handle 5 bosses telling me the same thing, over and over again.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by BendCardfan
Movies like this help justify my decision to start my own business when I get out of school. I just couldn't handle 5 bosses telling me the same thing, over and over again.

The same thing is annoying but at least it's tolerable. It's when they each start telling you contrary things - that's when my fuse gets extremely short.

Shawn

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched OS in the theater, by myself since my wife cancelled on me. I felt like a freaking idiot because I was laughing out loud at scenes, and nobody else in the theatre was. It was full of mid-teens who came for the Mike Judge angle looking for Beavis and Butthead. They didn't get the movie.

I come home and my wife (then fiancee) asked if it was good. I told her I thought so, maybe...maybe not. I was so confused because of the reaction of the theater. She later saw it on video because her office raved about it, so we rented it. She died laughing, my sense of humor was justified and I've rarely found anyone who does NOT love this movie.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Great movie. It reminds me of when I used to work at Intel (Ino-tek). Damn I hated it there.

No man in meant to work in a cubical, listening to 5 different bosses go on about mission statements.

Favorite Line.

"What would you do if you had a million dollars?"

"Two chicks at once man!"

This movie convinced me to get out of that stuffy uptight business world and do something else.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Great movie. It reminds me of when I used to work at Intel (Ino-tek). Damn I hated it there.

No man in meant to work in a cubical, listening to 5 different bosses go on about mission statements.

Favorite Line.

"What would you do if you had a million dollars?"

"Two chicks at once man!"

This movie convinced me to get out of that stuffy uptight business world and do something else.

So what are you doing?

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan