My problem with the fumble

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm usually not one to bash Denny Green. But, on the fumble by Warner the play call was pretty bad. So, this may be on Rowen, but if you're just going to run the ball to get in FG range then why call a play where there is a puling guard. I would just run a straight drive blocking play and get the ball into position. I may be nit-picking but i think that was a pretty bad play call. Plus,the players should still be held accountable for not executing but why even bring that pulling factor into play?

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
The players at this level should be able to execute any running play without fumbling the snap, especially at such a crucial juncture in the game. The players have to take the blame for that play.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
I'm usually not one to bash Denny Green. But, on the fumble by Warner the play call was pretty bad. So, this may be on Rowen, but if you're just going to run the ball to get in FG range then why call a play where there is a puling guard. I would just run a straight drive blocking play and get the ball into position. I may be nit-picking but i think that was a pretty bad play call. Plus,the players should still be held accountable for not executing but why even bring that pulling factor into play?

I normally defend Rowen but that's 100% correct, he may never make that mistake again but that's not going to help us much since he'll probably be somewhere else next year.

I'd like a coaching staff that didn't let little DETAILS like this slip through the canyons.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Renz said:
The players at this level should be able to execute any running play without fumbling the snap, especially at such a crucial juncture in the game. The players have to take the blame for that play.

Agreed...it was a simple handoff...this had nothing to do with Rowen.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Renz said:
The players at this level should be able to execute any running play without fumbling the snap, especially at such a crucial juncture in the game.

:thumbup:

Play call had ZERO to do with that fumble.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The acceptable number of dropped snaps in the NFL is ZERO.

If this was Warner's only mistake in the first three games, I'd be forgiving.

It isn't... I'm not.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
I do not think that the fumble was Warner's fault per se. Step just did not get the ball to him. But, I agree about Warner in general. Three interceptions are unacceptable. The first one was a tipped ball, but the last two were all Warner's fault!

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
I normally defend Rowen but that's 100% correct, he may never make that mistake again but that's not going to help us much since he'll probably be somewhere else next year.

I'd like a coaching staff that didn't let little DETAILS like this slip through the canyons.

Losses like today demoralize an organization from top to bottom, and drive away fans. Ownership won't stand pat for too long when they get their heart ripped out of their chest, and, take a shot in the pocketbook as well.

Denny didn't throw that pass right to #52 in white and gold, but that play got him a whole lot closer to a bus ticket back to the espn studio. Heads will roll if this stuff keeps up.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Chainthroer said:
I do not think that the fumble was Warner's fault per se. Step just did not get the ball to him. But, I agree about Warner in general. Three interceptions are unacceptable. The first one was a tipped ball, but the last two were all Warner's fault!

The first one was a tipped ball where he threw it into TRIPLE coverage.

If Warner was actually paying attention he would've seen Edge WIDE open with a lineman in front of him (I think it was Brown). Instead he forces the ball and its a turnover

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Crimson Warrior said:
Losses like today demoralize an organization from top to bottom, and drive away fans. Ownership won't stand pat for too long when they get their heart ripped out of their chest, and, take a shot in the pocketbook as well.

Denny didn't throw that pass right to #52 in white and gold, but that play got him a whole lot closer to a bus ticket back to the espn studio. Heads will roll if this stuff keeps up.

No kidding about the "right to" part...it was like he was having flashbacks about throwing to the Rams.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Renz said:

Yes, the players should be able to execute any running play without fumbling but I think one has to question that play call there anyways and here is why:

The Cards have a big solid OL so why get cute with pulling players when you don't have any need to call a play like that. Call a straight forward running play, line up that massive amount of human flesh and fire straight forward off the line and try to maul the other guy. I don't think it is wise to have guys pulling there personally.

IIRC, there was a sequence a few years ago on the goal line where Shipp had a few chances to get into the end zone and the plays called had OL pulling and eventually he fumbled the ball down there. I recall the board going ballistic abiout the pulling OL thing then so it should apply here, especially when you have one of the top kickers in the league ready to win the game.

So while, yes, the players should be held accountable in some way for that fumble, I still think some of the onus should be placed on the play call.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forget the fumble. If it were not for our QB play today we would have NEVER been in that situation at the end of the game.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

This ownership? They've been standing pat for it for 30 years.

Ohio Cards Fan

Veteran
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
:thumbup:

Play call had ZERO to do with that fumble.

Gotta disagree here. We were given a gift to win the game and we were well within Rackers' range. With all the turnovers you just know not to press your luck. I wouldn't have even run a play. I would have knelt three times, run the clock down, and kicked the winning field goal. The ball came out when Kurt turned to make the exchange for a running play. I believe a kneel down would not have resulted in a fumble. This WAS a coaching error, as well as a player error.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
Gotta disagree here. We were given a gift to win the game and we were well within Rackers' range. With all the turnovers you just know not to press your luck. I wouldn't have even run a play. I would have knelt three times, run the clock down, and kicked the winning field goal. The ball came out when Kurt turned to make the exchange for a running play. I believe a kneel down would not have resulted in a fumble. This WAS a coaching error, as well as a player error.

One hundred percent agree. And to pull a guard simply compounds the retardedness of not taking a knee.

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I watched the fumble over and over again in super slow...its not a great angle but it looks like Step hiked the ball above Warners hands and the pulling gaurd knocked it out.

I also did the exchange between Step and Warner in slow motion...when Step walks up Warner says I know I know..the some stuff I can not distinguish...then Warner says Thats three times now and turns and walks away. Not sure what that was about.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed...it was a simple handoff...this had nothing to do with Rowen.

One problem. They have already proved they have trouble with that earlier in the season when a pulling guard already has knocked the ball out of Warners hands. So if your a coach maybe you should just stay away from it.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Here's the thing - you're allready in FG range with Rackers at that point. About a 39 yarder I think. You're not going to get much more yards on running the ball in there and you risk a bad exchange. Hike the ball and take a knee (twice if necessary) to wind down the clock. THEN you kick the FG!! The Giants did that some yrs ago when they actually had the lead and fumbled the exchange to the RB and lost the game. Enough said - you keep the potential screw ups to a minimum in those circumstances. Take your chances with Rackers.

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Could they have been trying to get Edge his 100 yards then kneel...I think he only needed a couple yards?

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dropping to a knee stops the clock immediately, as I understand.

Doing this twice, followed by a FG and then a kick-off... would have left the RAMS with at least 1-minute to drive downfield for a winning FG try.

If this had occurred and been successful... there would be no end to complaints from the Monday morning coaches and QBs, who would have said that the Cards should have used James to take time off the clock before the FG try.

Running the ball under these precise circumstances is the right call.

KW blew it... and has admitted that he was responsible for the fumble of the snap.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I gotta disagree. The Rams would have to call a TO and at this point they were out of them.

I wasn't upset with running the ball as we were getting good yardage but in hind sight they should have taken a knee to run the clock down. You would think after 30 + years of being a Cards fan I would have expected the fumble to turn a victory into a loss. I guess that's why I'm still a Cards fan, I just never learn.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Doing this twice, followed by a FG and then a kick-off... would have left the RAMS with at least 1-minute to drive downfield for a winning FG try.
Nope, the Rams had no time outs left. Taking a knee runs out the clock because the Rams had no way of stopping it.

KW blew it... and has admitted that he was responsible for the fumble of the snap.

I am surprised that not many people are actually talking about what happended on the fumble. Brown actually hit the ball out of Warner's hand. The ball actually rolled up Step's back and actually went right to the defensive line.

Warner should have held the ball tighter, so that Brown could not have knocked it out.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dropping to a knee DOES NOT stop the clock (downed run play). Spiking the ball does (an incomplete pass).

Not that I'm advocating we should have done either. Running plays was the right thing to do.