My Thoughts on Mays

Black T

Reaction score
I know im alone on this, But think I he wouldve been a perfect project guy. The guy has insane physical gifts. Raw, pure talent with zero technique or playing knowledge.

Guys a young, unintelligent version of Adub. Lays the pain on fools and is atrocious in coverage. perfect pair. Besides, we have nobody, whatsoever, to fill Adrians shoes when he retires. Weve always been so content and never paid SS any mind because he was there and we took him for granted. Boom, Adrians gone, who the heck do we have at SS? Nobody. And drafting one is a crap shoot. Sometimes theyre great, sometimes their horrid, as weve seen with Taylor Mays. However, I think TM might be an exception.

I feel like Taylor hasnt been coached correctly his entire life. Somebody always just tells him "If anyone comes across the middle, take his head off". and, clearly, by how quickly the 49ers have given up on him, they didnt take the time to develope him either.

Cards couldve gotten him for peanuts and he couldve sat behind Adub for the few years till Adrian retires. I think with actual diligence and coaching on the coaches part, he could be molded into a good player. Still bad in coverage, but serviceable everywhere else. you cant teach a guy to not fear violent hits. Taylor does not fear collisions, thats for darn sure.

Had we gotten him and it turned out he was a lost cause, cut him, no love lost. There was zero risk for, maybe, a potential talent.

just how I feel.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What makes you think the 49ers would trade him to a division opponent? This isn't Madden where you can just make a trade to make a trade.

OP
OP
B

Black T

Reaction score
What makes you think the 49ers would trade him to a division opponent? This isn't Madden where you can just make a trade to make a trade.

because hes a dumpster fire. He might have the ability to make a divisional opponent worse. They obviously hit send-all on the sale of Mays. I really doubt theyd be picky about who they shipped him off to. I dont disagree hes terrible.

Im saying he has potential.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
because hes a dumpster fire. He might have the ability to make a divisional opponent worse. They obviously hit send-all on the sale of Mays. I really doubt theyd be picky about who they shipped him off to. I dont disagree hes terrible.

So your statement is...

The 49ers would trade him because they would be certain he would make us worse, but we should have made that trade anyway?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Could be a late developer, but no help now, imo. One day the light will go on, and he might turn into a VG safety. I doubt it will be anytime soon.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with BT that he has the talent to be good if used correctly.

It's just apparent he didn't fit with what the new scheme is in SF, they want coverage safeties that's not his thing. He plays more like AW, or a guy not that good of course but that style of play.

I would have been interested but yeah teams generally don't deal within the division. I think everyone figured they'd have to cut him eventually not expecting the Bengals to trade.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

And as they say: potential is a coach killer.

Let's keep in mind, when you draw comparison with Adrian Wilson, that he came into to the league as a CB. He could turn his hips. Mays can't.

So the best that can be said is that Mays compares somewhat with last year's version of AW with a bad hip and needing surgery.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When things seem to be to good to be true, they're usually not.

Physically, he certainly fit the bill, but if Mays was that good, why would a team like SF (thin at safety) allow him to get away?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When things seem to be to good to be true, they're usually not.

Physically, he certainly fit the bill, but if Mays was that good, why would a team like SF (thin at safety) allow him to get away?

They're not thin at Safety they signed 2 FA safeties in Whitner and Williams who made Mays expendable.

When a new coach comes in there are always players he didn't draft and has no vested interest in that get moved, Mays is one of those guys.

He may or may not make it in the NFL but he's gone from SF because they changed coaches and the new staff brought in other players.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Chris - I think this statement should be included in your signature

One of my message board pet peeves is when a fan whines and berates the organization for not trading for a particular player (from a divisional rival nonetheless).

1) No one knows if contact between the two teams were made or not (I heard a GM say that the media only reports on less than 5% of the trade conversations he has with other teams).

2) The compensation might not have been fair.

3) In this particular case, we're talking about dealing with the devil...errr.....I mean potentially trading with a division rival. These trades are considered taboo, which was the reason why people were stunned when McNabb was traded to the Redskins a year ago.

4) Taylor Mays is terrible. He is slow, stiff, and can't cover a pillow. His only asset is laying big hits, but he can't apply that if the receivers and running backs are breaking his knees on juke moves and blowing by him with superior speed. There is a reason his own college coach, Pete Carrol, passed on him in the draft.

I would rather have Rashad Johnson than Taylor Mays.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
New coaching staff in SF or no: when an organization gives up on a second round draft pick after his first season, warning bells should be going off.

While scheme might play a part, if a guy is a good football player ( and has a very affordable contract, as a 2nd rounder would) you keep him.

SF concluded he wasn't even worth a roster spot. That screams that something isnt right there.

The Bengals probably liked him in the draft, and gave up a conditional late round draft dependent on Mays making the team. Its a free look if you will.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I too would pass on Taylor Mays. The days of the big hitter who blindly lowers his head to go after his target are over in the NFL. First, they whiff as much as they hit. Second, when they hit, it is often penalized because they don't see what they are doing. Third, these guys are typically only partial football players, because they can't cover at all. Give me a guy who contains and wraps up. I'll take him every time over the wild blind/hitter.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Usually project SSs in the league were converted CBs that could tackle but not cover or undersized LBs

The sole reason Mays was projected so high and had so much media coverage was because he played for a high profiled program in USC with lots of great players on the defense. When his teammates left for the nfl his stats dropped significantly.

He would have been a perfect Raider because Al Davis likes speed and size.

He doesn't have the skills for being a DB in the league, but could make into a hard hitting and fast OLB.

OP
OP
B

Black T

Reaction score
He doesn't have the skills for being a DB in the league, but could make into a hard hitting and fast OLB.
Exactly what Adrian is.

You can say hes a converted CB, but its pretty hard to tell because ,for all his abilities, Adub is atrocious in pass coverage.

Im not saying you have to change Mays into a good, well rounded safety. He will never do well in coverage.

Im saying coach up what hes already good at, and give it direction. Hes a tackling/hitting machine.

Worked out fine for Adrian

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Exactly what Adrian is.

You can say hes a converted CB, but its pretty hard to tell because ,for all his abilities, Adub is atrocious in pass coverage.

Im not saying you have to change Mays into a good, well rounded safety. He will never do well in coverage.

Im saying coach up what hes already good at, and give it direction. Hes a tackling/hitting machine.

Worked out fine for Adrian

1. Adrian played with a bad hip that needed surgery last season.
2. Adrian is one of less than a dozen with 20+ int. and 20+ sacks in a career.

Mentioning these two in the same sentence as football players is farcical IMO.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I will tell you how I feel...why the hell are we talking about Mays? Talented project that has gone to another team and the Cardinals with a bunch of other teams did not consider him either (must be reasons). I suggest if anyone is still regretting the Cardinals not picking him up on the whole second guessing the front office thing...find him on facebook and send him xox's to your hearts content, really

1DS

Registered
Reaction score
First, you call out Rhodes, one of out top 3 defenders last season and now this? You are quickly losing credibility.

ESPN: "C'mon, Man!"