Nash as a NUMBER 2 guard

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Seems like the suns breed an inferiority complex in some of their stars.

JJ wanted to be the superstar on an average team, rather than a star on a super team

Marion seems to be on the same path

cly2tw

Reaction score
Seems like the suns breed an inferiority complex in some of their stars.

JJ wanted to be the superstar on an average team, rather than a star on a super team

Marion seems to be on the same path

That's not completely fair to JJ. He realized that with Nash, he'd not have had enough chances/touches to develop his skills and was about to become a one-dimentional decoy in the corner, though on a winning team. This was a situation, a less talented vet like Bell would be ecstatic about but you can't ask JJ to do that. His career is expected to be much longer than Nash could be productive in the league, by then JJ would be too old to turn it on and become a star in his own right.

cly2tw

Reaction score
No, the Suns were never going to give JJ the max deal Atlanta coughed up for him. It was a face-saving move by an inexperienced front office after they realized that JJ wasn't going to throw away $10 million to re-sign here. I said as much about a week before he eventually ended up in Atlanta when everyone said I was full of it and he would be a Sun. But BC/Sarver did do a helluva job of convincing Atlanta that they were going to match his offer forcing a desperate Hawks front office to trade away assets.

That's without mentioning Sarver saying no to BC's demand to sign JJ to the 5yr/$45 million deal the previous offseason.

For what the Suns wanted JJ do on this team, 50 mil would have been more than fair. As fair is the max deal for what Hawks asked from him do and now he has been on his way to deliver.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
That's not completely fair to JJ. He realized that with Nash, he'd not have had enough chances/touches to develop his skills and was about to become a one-dimentional decoy in the corner, though on a winning team. This was a situation, a less talented vet like Bell would be ecstatic about but you can't ask JJ to do that. His career is expected to be much longer than Nash could be productive in the league, by then JJ would be too old to turn it on and become a star in his own right.

I really cant buy the argument of a team holding you back from being your best. He wanted more spotlight and to be the undisputed best player on the team, instead of a great player on the best team.

When the alternative turns out to be getting injured on a team that tanks its way into the lottery, I'd say my claim seems to be a bit more fair(if you believe in karma
).

Maligzar

Registered
Reaction score

Oh Bull.

JJ turns 26 at the end of this month. Nash is already 33. Let's say Nash plays 2 more good years for us and takes a secondary role after he's 35 (almost 36). That makes JJ 28. In no way is he less talented of a player for playing with the best point guard of our time.

JJ wanted to be "the man". He wanted his "respect". The Hawks in turn over paid for a solid player.

JJ was the key missing to our championship? Hardly.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Back to topic (what a concept?), I think the idea of having a lot of quality ball handlers is part of the long range plan because it makes the team a lot less dependent on just one guy. At the same time, I think the concept of making sure they are big enough to play along wiith Nash some of the time makes sense.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
What was going through JJ's mind, when he wanted out of THIS team(rhetorical q)?
There was 10 million things going through JJ's mind when he decided to sign with the Hawks. When any of the JJ critics turn their back on that kind of cash then feel free to criticize.

The Suns said they would match any offer for JJ in an attempt to drive down his price so they could get him at 6 years/$60 million which was the most they were willing to go with the Amare extension looming. It almost worked too (remember Cleveland didn't even pursue him despite having a ton of cash, him filling their biggest needs at the time, and Bron and JJ being tight off the court) until Atlanta in a move of sheer desperation after winning only 13 games the previous season and failing to sign Dalembert, Allen, Stromile, etc. offered him the max. At the time most of the league and most of hte board thought it would be a ludicrous overpayment and you could maybe make the case that it still is today. Sarver wouldn't budge internally but convinced the Hawks front office that they would match which bore the Diaw trade. Another interesting note that I heard on the Diaw trade is the Hawks initially offered one first rounder plus Josh Childress but BC really wanted Diaw and an extra first was thrown in due to the difference in talent and pedigree between the two.

And before you ask any questions about this offseason, my source at the time is no longer working for the Suns.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05