Nash: too "disgusted" to comment

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score
Forget basketball, let alone fundamentals, coaches should now teach the leg sweeps first and foremost. go Spurs!

Marc Stein, ESPN.com

Horry Diaw Stoudemire

The pain from Robert Horry's hockey-style check on Steve Nash was felt on the day after by the Phoenix Suns.

The Suns' hopes for a lenient ruling from the league office faded quickly Tuesday night, when it was announced that Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw would indeed receive one-game suspensions for leaving "the immediate vicinity of their bench" during the altercation that followed Horry's hit on Nash in the final minute of a series-tying Game 4 victory in San Antonio.

Horry received a two-game suspension from the league for his flagrant foul on Nash and for striking Raja Bell above the shoulders in the subsequent fracas. The Suns, meanwhile, have lost two-thirds of the trio they use to guard Spurs star Tim Duncan after the NBA rejected their claims that the scuffling seen late Monday wasn't a full-blown fight and that Stoudemire and Diaw never got close to it anyway.

Nash, reached by phone Tuesday night, told ESPN.com that he was too "disgusted" to comment. Spurs officials declined comment.

Immediately after the incident Monday night, Nash had implored league officials to consider the circumstances surrounding Horry's foul, saying at a post-game news conference: "That would be terrible if that silly play at the end of a game, when the game is really over, if that causes a detriment to the rest of the series. That would be ridiculous."

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich told The Associated Press that he didn't even think Horry's foul on Nash was that bad.

"It was just an end-of-game foul and Steve fell down," Popovich said before the penalties were announced. "I didn't think it was such a big deal."

But NBA executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson told reporters in a conference call after announcing the suspensions that the league's longstanding policy of invoking its leave-the-bench rule without considering additional factors made the Suns' suspensions automatic.

"A precedent wasn't necessary here," Jackson said. "The rule with respect to leaving the bench area during an altercation is very clear.

"Historically, if you break it, you will get suspended, regardless of what the circumstances are."

Jackson added that Stoudemire and Diaw, in the league's estimation, were "about 20 to 25 feet away from their seats" and headed "towards the altercation" before Suns assistant coaches scrambled them back to the bench.

The Suns countered by saying that Duncan and Bruce Bowen were guilty of a similar leaving-the-bench offense in Game 4's first half when San Antonio's Francisco Elson fell on the Suns' James Jones after a dunk. That play was also reviewed, but Jackson -- while conceding that Duncan "should not have been on the playing court" -- said that the league determined there was "no cause for the suspension rule" to be applied because the Elson-Jones tangle was not deemed to be an altercation.

That will likely only fuel Phoenix's series-long contention that the Spurs have been receiving favorable treatment from the league. Bowen was accused of intentionally kicking Stoudemire in Game 2 and intentionally kneeing Nash in the groin in Game 3. Apart from the foul on Nash being upgraded to a flagrant foul, Bowen went unpunished in both instances.

Speaking specifically about the Horry-Nash incident, Suns owner Robert Sarver told reporters in Phoenix on Tuesday night: "The way this worked out for us, it was, I believe, extremely unfair. . . . The team that plays dirty should not be rewarded and the team that plays fair should not be penalized."

Sarver added that the "first thing on my agenda" for next season will be making a push at ownership level to have the leave-the-bench rule re-examined. Sarver also said that NBA commissioner David Stern has canceled a schedule appearance in Phoenix for Wednesday night's Game 5.

Jackson said the league would consider re-evaluating the policy for next season "if a change is warranted" but insisted that "right now that line is very clear."

"The rule is the rule," Jackson said.

"It's not a matter of fairness. It's a matter of correctness."

Jackson added: "The purpose of the rule is to prevent the escalation of these types of incidents and in turn protect the health and safety of our players and diminish the chance of serious injury [for] our players."

All three of the suspended players, according to Jackson, have the right to appeal their suspensions at the end of the season to perhaps retrieve lost salary, but there is no appeal process that could restore eligibility in time for Wednesday's tipoff.

Furio

Rookie
Reaction score
Of course all the other rules like hand checking and cheap shots are tolerated because that's PLAYOFF BASKETBALL. God I really hate people like Stern and Stu. Unbending, inflexible, small men.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jackson added: "The purpose of the rule is to prevent the escalation of these types of incidents and in turn protect the health and safety of our players and diminish the chance of serious injury [for] our players."

How about they put rules in place to protect players from flagrant fouls that incite fights in general.

I'm still sure that I saw Spurs bench players feet on the court being pushed back to the bench by assistant coaches once the cameras finally panned down to the Spurs bench, yet none of those players were suspended. I guess being on the court isn't far enough from the designated bench area or they didn't have enough camera footage to prove it.

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
Popovich is an ass!!!!! I never liked the guy.

OP
OP
S

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score
Stern should be fired. Straight up. Regardless of whether Suns win the series or not (which I now doubt:( He's rewarding thuggery and punishing solidarity. That is unacceptable. Stern should not only be fired but prevented from inserting his tentacles into any NBA game ever again. Dude is pure slime, and that goes for Stu too.

mribnik

Reaction score
A precedent wasn't necessary here," Jackson said. "The rule with respect to leaving the bench area during an altercation is very clear.

Historically, if you break it, you will get suspended, regardless of what the circumstances are.

:confused:

Furio

Rookie
Reaction score
A precedent wasn't necessary here," Jackson said. "The rule with respect to leaving the bench area during an altercation is very clear.

Historically, if you break it, you will get suspended, regardless of what the circumstances are.

:confused:

So what he's saying is, hypothetically, Burke could start a fight on the court and then someone pushes all the Spurs on the bench onto the court and the Spurs would get all suspended. Makes perfect sense. FANTASTIC!

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
It's happened that a practically a whole team was suspended. Think back to the Detroit-Indy brawl. Since there were so many players who violated that rule, the league allowed that some players take the suspension the next date because if they all were suspended, then Indy wouldn't have the minimum amount of players dressed to play the game. You need 8.

Had they suspended the entire team, then Indy would've only had 6 players I believe. So some players played the 1st game and some served their suspension, and then the others that served played the next date.

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
Sarver also said that NBA commissioner David Stern has canceled a schedule appearance in Phoenix for Wednesday night's Game 5.

What a ****ing chicken-$#!+

I hope they show his picture during the game at some point...

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

They should do it right after they show the starting lineup of the Spurs.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

David Stern has passed Bud Selig as the worse commissioner in all of sports. Stern suspends Amare and Diaw and does not have the balls to keep his travel plans to Phoenix. The guy should be fired .

asudevil83

Reaction score
i have come to he realization that if the suns are eliminated in this series, i will officially be boycotting the nba for as long as stern is still its head.

the thing that pisses me off the most is that this rule is supposed to prevent altercations from escalating. but you must ask yourself....did amare or diaw contribute to the situation what so ever in any way shape or form? NO.

and what PISSES me off to no end is the second quarter event. had Jones reacted and did ANYTHING to elson, we would not be seeing DUNCAN tomorrow. make sense of that. just try.

say it aloud. "had Jones punched Elson, Duncan and Bowen would have been suspended." it makes me laugh.

i will be in disbelief for a long time over this.

and ANY fan who supports this ruling is NOT A FAN. a team taking advantage of a loophole in the system to cripple a team through the use of dirty acts......speechless.

and a comissioner who cant see it???????? i dont want to get banned here, so i'm going to stop.

this is NOT the thing to talk about before bed.

the NBA has a day to redeem themselves.....but sadly and disgustingly, i dont see it happening.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns get eliminated I will boycott the rest of the playoffs. Period.

asudevil83

Reaction score
i'm also going to add this:

as bad as i feel for the suns.....when its all said and done, everyone is still going to make their millions of dollars.

you could take 500 average people making $30,000 and they still wouldnt make as much as Marion.

all anyone is supporting here is pride.....and at the end of the day i could think of hundreds of things that are SERIOUSLY important. if you put things into a real perspective, this would be towards the bottom of LIFE'S lists.

Last edited:

Furio

Rookie
Reaction score
If the Suns get eliminated I will boycott the rest of the playoffs. Period.

I'm with you. I will boycott the NBA, I won't even talk about it (why create buzz for the league). There are so many other places I can spend my time and my money. The NFL is great. The league is run well and it's competitive. If Stern and Stu step down, I might come back.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I'm with you. I will boycott the NBA, I won't even talk about it (why create buzz for the league). There are so many other places I can spend my time and my money. The NFL is great. The league is run well and it's competitive. If Stern and Stu step down, I might come back.

Agreed.

Besides judging from what the possibility is

Jazz v Spurs WCF

Pistons v Spurs Finals

The tv ratings will challenge for worst of all time.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
and what PISSES me off to no end is the second quarter event. had Jones reacted and did ANYTHING to elson, we would not be seeing DUNCAN tomorrow. make sense of that. just try.

say it aloud. "had Jones punched Elson, Duncan and Bowen would have been suspended." it makes me laugh.

You just made me throw up in my mouth.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
The Suns should boycott game 5 and let the NBA lose out on all that money.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah you idiot popovich Horry just slamed Nash into the scoretable and that couldve been a lot worse he couldve broke his arm, dislocate his shoulder which wouldve ruined his carrer, I bet if Burke throws Duncan into the scorestable like that Popovich would be saying something a lot different what a cornholio. DOWN WITH THE SPURS

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
i have come to he realization that if the suns are eliminated in this series, i will officially be boycotting the nba for as long as stern is still its head.

the thing that pisses me off the most is that this rule is supposed to prevent altercations from escalating. but you must ask yourself....did amare or diaw contribute to the situation what so ever in any way shape or form? NO.

i will be in disbelief for a long time over this.

and ANY fan who supports this ruling is NOT A FAN. a team taking advantage of a loophole in the system to cripple a team through the use of dirty acts......speechless.

and a comissioner who cant see it???????? i dont want to get banned here, so i'm going to stop.

this is NOT the thing to talk about before bed.

the NBA has a day to redeem themselves.....but sadly and disgustingly, i dont see it happening.

Yep, if we get eliminated because of this, I am finished with the NBA.

ndjmc

Do or Do not.
Reaction score
Yep, if we get eliminated because of this, I am finished with the NBA.

They wont miss you...take it easy folks the game has yet to be played....your gunna break your legs jumping off the wagon the quick.....

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
They wont miss you...take it easy folks the game has yet to be played....your gunna break your legs jumping off the wagon the quick.....

Yes they will. Because this crap is upsetting THOUSANDS of fans, and if THOUSANDS of fans leave your sport en masse, the NBA will be crippled.

So, yeah, they'll miss me a hell of a lot.