OP
OP
SweetD

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
If anyone knows how to make a table let me know!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
A table would be nice, but that's pretty easy to read, in my opinion.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Good God, thankfully I'm not a Knicks fan, I would need a new keyboard after seeing that...

/vomit inducing

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently the NBA learned salary management from the federal gov't. At least the Army only paid a couple hundred dollars for each tool.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Best Bargain on that list: 28. Elton Brand LA Clippers $13,152,000

Hold on. Would you rather have:

Brand + an < $5 million (MLE) guy, say Bell.

OR

Kevin Garnett

I would take Garnett. The worst deal is Houston. :barf:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Yea I agree I would take Garnett EASY over anyone on that list. But Brand is probably second... Well maybe third after Duncan.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always liked Elton brand, but I would really like to see him do it on a winning team. He's a very good player. I'm not sure I would call him a bargain at $13 million per season.

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I've always liked Elton brand, but I would really like to see him do it on a winning team. He's a very good player. I'm not sure I would call him a bargain at $13 million per season.

Joe Mama

I don't care what team he's on, the guy is good, one of the most fundamentally solid players in the NBA. He's NO Andre Miller, Joe.

Errntknght

Reaction score
All of them are overpaid but relatively speaking you can understand the salary for about six guys on the list - Garnett, Kobe, Duncan, TMac, Nowitski and Brand. Six of thirty is 20% so 80% are between wildly overpaid and insanely overpaid. Obviously, GMs collectively need to have their heads examined.

One approach to bringing rationality would be to have the raises tied to the rate of increase of the salary cap instead of automatic raises that inflate them without rhyme or reason.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we made a list of the most overpaid guys in the NBA, the most common reasons is injuries. It is terribly hard to be even an average player in the NBA, so it is hardly surprising that guys who have lost some of their skills due to injuries can drop from the elite extremely quickly.

It is notable that the Pistons do not have anyone in the top 30, but some of that is due to Sheed being in the early part of his contract.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
All of them are overpaid but relatively speaking you can understand the salary for about six guys on the list - Garnett, Kobe, Duncan, TMac, Nowitski and Brand. Six of thirty is 20% so 80% are between wildly overpaid and insanely overpaid. Obviously, GMs collectively need to have their heads examined.

One approach to bringing rationality would be to have the raises tied to the rate of increase of the salary cap instead of automatic raises that inflate them without rhyme or reason.

If you are going to put Brand on that list Jermaine O'Neal needs to be on that as well.

Andy, I realize Brand is a good power forward. I'm just saying that he makes about what he's worth. He's not a bargain. he's not a superstar like Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Amare Stoudemire, Tracy McGrady, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, etc.

I definitely agree with you that there are a lot of players on that list who were never worth the money they all were/are making. There's also a handful of players there that are in the final year or two of their deals. Remember that originally the owners wanted to take three years off the maximum deals. They wanted 3-4 years. I think 4-5 years would have been perfect, but they settled for 5-6. This wouldn't have bothered me as much as they had not caved on so many other aspects of the new CBA. They also wanted to bring those automatic raises down to around 5%. Instead they settled for 8-10%, but they raised the salary cap dramatically.

Joe Mama

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I am a BIG supporter of Elton Brand. He is a very complete player. If he was on a better team he would be thought of in a much higher regard.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
If you are going to put Brand on that list Jermaine O'Neal needs to be on that as well.

Andy, I realize Brand is a good power forward. I'm just saying that he makes about what he's worth. He's not a bargain. he's not a superstar like Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Amare Stoudemire, Tracy McGrady, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, etc.

Joe Mama

First of all, it's not Andy that was talking about Brand... :)

Secondly, your definition of "superstar" is based solely on how much pub players get--and that's not what I base my opinion on. You're right, Brand is no superstar, but who cares? Would you rather have Brand or McGrady? I'd rather have Brand because of his position and he is a better all-around player.

I don't know, maybe I'm a Brand homer, but I think he is definitely a max player.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

Secondly, your definition of "superstar" is based solely on how much pub players get--and that's not what I base my opinion on. You're right, Brand is no superstar, but who cares? Would you rather have Brand or McGrady? I'd rather have Brand because of his position and he is a better all-around player.

I don't know, maybe I'm a Brand homer, but I think he is definitely a max player.

I'm sorry. I don't know why I thought that was Andy who wrote that post.

I'm not sure who I would rather have to be quite honest. If it was our current team I would probably rather have brand (assuming JJ re-signs). If I was building a team from scratch I would take McGrady.

I agree that Brand is a max player. I think he's probably worth about right what he's getting paid. I just said I wouldn't call him a bargain at that price. I also don't think he's the best player on a good team. I think you will need someone better than him or a whole Lotta help at all of the other positions in order to make that LA Clippers team any good.

Joe Mama

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

I would take Brand over T-Mac anyday.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Brand is sort of like the PF version of Marion. Good attitude, great numbers, solid game, an important piece of the puzzle, but not a franchise player. Whether that's worthy of a maximum contract depends on what mood you're in. ;)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Breakdown of the Big Spenders (I might have gotten a few of these wrong since I did it all from memory). Looks like JC is one of the leagues big spenders. No Portland signees on this list?

Jamison--Dallas
Finley--Dallas
Nowitski--Dallas

Marbury-Phoenix
Hardaway-Phoenix
Marion--Phoenix

Iverson--Philly
Tim Thomas-Philly
Ratliff--Philadelphia

Kidd-NJ
VanHorn--NJ

Shaq-Lakers
Bryant--Lakers

EJones--Miami
Grant-Miami

Hill-Orlando
McGrady-Orlando

ONeal-Indiana
Rose-Indiana (or was it Chicago?)

Antonio Davis--Toronto
Carter--Toronto

Garnett-Minneapolis
Duncan-San Antonio
Houston-NY
Webber-Sacramento
Pierce--Boston
Davis--New Orleans
Francis--Houston
Brand--Clippers
Boozer--Utah

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Brand IMO is an excellent second star, much like Rasheed and will never be able to do it on his own. McGrady on the other hand single-handedly took Orlando to the playoffs several years.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Errntknght said:

The owners actually tried to do that during the new CBA negotiations. Well at least similar, they wanted raises down to 3% and 4% which would have put them at a more reasonable number.

OP
OP
SweetD

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Updated JJ is the only one that could make this list this year.

cpatterson23

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Brand is sort of like the PF version of Marion. Good attitude, great numbers, solid game, an important piece of the puzzle, but not a franchise player. Whether that's worthy of a maximum contract depends on what mood you're in. ;)
Except marion can steal, too. Brand can't(as far as i know). I think marion is probably the biggest steal on this. Whoo hoo for us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan