New 7 Round Mock

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Switch Cannon for Watkins and I would be happy with that draft.

Getting Barksdale in the 4th !!! That would make my day.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watkins is gonna be 27 y/o rookie..when he learn the system he will be already 30...maybe later

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Here is the link to our first seven-round projection of the year: http://www.nflroughdraft.com/node/81

This is a horrible draft IMHO. I grade this a D if this were to occur. You would think that somewhere they would draft a QB. We sure are not going to find the QBOTF in free agency and I sure do not see Skelton as the likely QBOTF. The QB position for the future must be addressed. Why is Hall still on this team?

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
This is a horrible draft IMHO. I grade this a D if this were to occur. You would think that somewhere they would draft a QB. We sure are not going to find the QBOTF in free agency and I sure do not see Skelton as the likely QBOTF. The QB position for the future must be addressed. Why is Hall still on this team?

Well if you don't draft a QB in the first 2 rounds, then what's the point? You'd just be drafting another John Skelton project-type.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

who is your choice between these players??
newton.gabbert.locker.kopernick.mallet.ponder

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
Watkins is gonna be 27 y/o rookie..when he learn the system he will be already 30...maybe later

LOL....C'mon. It doesn't take guards 3 years to "learn the system". But while you're at it, when he's 31 he'll likely be a free agent so it won't matter what his age is.

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
who is your choice between these players??
newton.gabbert.locker.kopernick.mallet.ponder

My personal opinion (and this wasn't my mock draft) is Ponder. He needs to be in the right system, but he is my top-rated QB. Gabbert is raw...Kaep is reeeeeeeaaaaaaallllllly raw...I don't trust Newton and Mallett....Locker is a senior QB that couldn't complete 60% of his passes.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First off thanks for the work and posting the link. It takes a ton of time and effort to put together a 7rd mock.

Glad to see AJ Green is no longer the Cards pick at #5. Let the Von debate start with the "Less Weight"; "Great Speed" proponents. Of course there is also the group that wants us to take a QB (myself included) at pick #5 if Gabbert or Newton grades out high enough.

The FO has shown a tendancy to invest later rd picks on O-lineman with the expectation that Grimm will coach them up. Everything we hear from them is that Levi was solid and will improve at LT and even if Fanaca retires we have Hadnot that can take over for him. Now if FA happens and Duece gets away and Fanaca retires then taking an older OG at this point makes sense.

With the way this draft is unfolding in rd 2 I'd like to see the Cards take Rudolph, Titus Young (doubt he lasts until rd 3) or another OLBer like Acho or Reed. If the Cards go QB in rd1 then an OLBer is a must in rd2.

Cards need to address the SILB position at some point in this draft and sooner rather then later. I would think about Greg Jones but if Irving is still available (you have him going late in rd4) then I would pick him now or with the early 4th rd pick because a lot of quality posters have been raving about him.

rd 4 is about when I expect the Cards to start looking for an OT. They lost Herm Johnson off the practice squad last year so they need a developmental guy at the position.

At some point the Cards will need to add a NT for depth/rotation/injury insurance.

Due to the addition of Horton at DC and Free Agency up in the air I have far less of a feeling for what the Cards will do in this draft.

Once again thanks for the link and your projections are probably closer to what will happen the mine.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sold on Mallett, but I think if he's there in the second round the Cards probably need to take him.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well if you don't draft a QB in the first 2 rounds, then what's the point? You'd just be drafting another John Skelton project-type.

I fully agree with this point. Normally I would not waste a 2nd rd pick on a QB but this year is a bit different. Some very high ceiling guys (Mallet, Ponder, Kaep, Locker) with warts that might be worth the risk in rd2. I've seen enough of Skelton to believe he has as much potential as any of the above QB's so if we don't take Gabbert or Newton then let's get some LBers and a TE.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Miller and Barksdale are good picks. Not a fan of the other 5 picks. We didn't address SILB and that concerns me in this mock. I guess without free agency we can't fill all the holes though. I'd give this mock a C for the Cards.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
With the available options and assuming there will be no free-agent signings or player trades due to the CBA...I would have taken: 1. QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri 2. DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard, Pitt 3. DT/NT Ian Williams, Notre Dame 4. OT Joseph Barksdale, LSU 5. LB Mark Herzlich, Boston College 6a. DE/OLB Jeremy Beal Oklahoma 6b. ILB Josh Bynes, Auburn.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the available options and assuming there will be no free-agent signings or player trades due to the CBA...I would have taken: 1. QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri 2. DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard, Pitt 3. DT/NT Ian Williams, Notre Dame 4. OT Joseph Barksdale, LSU 5. LB Mark Herzlich, Boston College 6a. DE/OLB Jeremy Beal Oklahoma 6b. ILB Josh Bynes, Auburn.

I'm with ya until rd 5. Herlich may return to the player he once was but he is rather slow speed wise. Do you project him as an ILB and if so I don't think we need two of them (Bynes). Well late in the draft the shotgun approach at a position isn't the worst approach.

I do think we need to draft a TE at some point.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
I'm with ya until rd 5. Herlich may return to the player he once was but he is rather slow speed wise. Do you project him as an ILB and if so I don't think we need two of them (Bynes). Well late in the draft the shotgun approach at a position isn't the worst approach.

I do think we need to draft a TE at some point.
I like Herzlich for his quality of character more than his actual physical ability although I believe he will be a fine player. In the fifth round you can start taking some real chances and I believe Herzlich and his heart would be worth it to this soulless Cardinal team.

I would project him as an ILB and would expect him to kick butt on special teams from the get go.

Your right about TE. I thought about that but then didn't make any changes. How about trading out J. Bynes for TE Andre Smith, Virginia Tech?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Herzlich for his quality of character more than his actual physical ability although I believe he will be a fine player. In the fifth round you can start taking some real chances and I believe Herzlich and his heart would be worth it to this soulless Cardinal team.

I would project him as an ILB and would expect him to kick butt on special teams from the get go.

Your right about TE. I thought about that but then didn't make any changes. How about trading out J. Bynes for TE Andre Smith, Virginia Tech?

I'm sold on Herlich but maybe he can be had later in the draft. I read a post of yours on another thread and agree that addressing the TE situation in FA would be a viable option.

I don't know anything about Smith so I defer to those with better knowledge.

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
I fully agree with this point. Normally I would not waste a 2nd rd pick on a QB but this year is a bit different. Some very high ceiling guys (Mallet, Ponder, Kaep, Locker) with warts that might be worth the risk in rd2. I've seen enough of Skelton to believe he has as much potential as any of the above QB's so if we don't take Gabbert or Newton then let's get some LBers and a TE.

Thanks for the input. You always provide a ton of quality insight. I couldn't agree more with the QB situation in this draft. I usually think drafting a QB in rounds 2-3 is a complete waste, but this year is different.

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score

Andre Smith will not last past the 4th round. He is the best blocking TE in this draft and there is almost always a blocking TE that comes off the board in the top 3 rounds.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
round 1. Agree
round 2. If all those Qbs are on the board, they take one of them. If not, then Kyle Rudolph, TE ND
round 3. maybe. If they didnt go TE in Rd 2, then Luke Stocker, TE Tenn. Allen Bailey, DE Miami or Greg Jones, ILB MSU are also possibilities.
round 4. agree
round 5. They already have a Rodgers type in Lerod Stephens-Howling. I go Mark Herzlich of BC
round 6a and 6b: sure.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
If CB PP is gone I take CB Prince A. at #5. I think He is a for sure bet, no risk at #5. Miller needs to be the high end of OLB playing weight or elite at more than one OLB skillset or he could end up a 1 down backer? At #5 don't do it! Don't risk it.

Gerald Hayes will be back at SILB, I can feel it in me bones. We just got what we could from his last year but He'll be the engine on defense again next time out, fully healed and full camp. Hayes is a great fundemental player and makes everybody else better.

I seen what risky drafts do after the first round, Hell this staff screwed up every no brainer first rounder we have too! Levi, DRC, The Bean, Dwill would star on other teams, here they are ham strung.

I see little difference between a QB in our 2nd round pick and our first round pick. None are NFL ready.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
The Packers are pretty high on Starks so Leshoure really isn't a need. Sheard makes a ton more sense becasue Brad Jones/Frank Zombo/Eric Walden aren't really NFL players.

I love the 2nd round pick of Ballard.

I will never complain about picking an O-Lineman but I'd rather go Barksdale or Moffit in the 3rd round.

Like everyone else on this board, I love Nate Irving especially in the 4th roundd.

Cameron probably won't play because the staff is high on Andrew Quarless and obviously Finley is a monster. I'd rather go Kirkpatrick to add beef to the inside of the line or go Burney for a Punt returner.

I like the Rucker pick because it is absolutely essential that Jarret Bush never get on the field on defense.

I love Kerley as a 7th rounder and I don't even know who Akeem Dent is.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05